My "what not to wear" moments

Bunbun

Cathlete
I love "What Not to Wear," and I'd love to get $5000 worth of new clothing! But it always makes me laugh when they scold the women for not dressing in a cute little outfit with a cute little blazer and heels to go food shopping in the supermarket, for instance. Silly, in my opinion, and for me at least, impractical: I once dropped one of those rotisserrie chickens right down the front my leg, ruining my dress pants...but that's another post!

Anyhow, I am about to go out for a walk right now because I'm bored and tired of sitting indoors. I am wearing a dumpy denim skirt and a tank top that has a small stain from tea right at my belly button. I know I look like a schlepp, but it's really humid, threatening rain, I've already changed twice today because of going to the gym to swim and then to ballet class and then later I'm going to do some Cathe weights...I don't feel like getting more clothes dirty! Anyone else have these What Not To Wear moments?

(I should add here that at least I'm not wearing white linen pants with red polka dotted panties underneath, like the woman I saw on the street the other day!!)

RE: My

Just make sure you're not being secretly filmed!! LOL

I love that show too. I would love the 5 grand and the chance to go shopping with Clinton and Stacy, but I would just die if someone nominated me. I don't think I could bear up under such public scrutiny and humilitation. Hey--I live in junky shorts and old stained t-shirts. I would love to have a beautiful wardrobe but there isn't a decent place to shop where I live. Every store has the same old things. I would like to see Clinton and Stacey help the fashion challenged find beautiful clothes and accessories in small town USA.

Michele

>(I should add here that at least I'm not wearing white linen
>pants with red polka dotted panties underneath, like the woman
>I saw on the street the other day!!)

Several years ago, that was an "in" look in France ( and some other European countries). White pants with very visible printed panties.

I agree with you, Michele, as I lived out in rural PA for a while. But even here in NYC, you really need a lot of $$$ to dress like that consistently. Either that or you have to be willing to spend a lot of time shopping, looking for bargains. I like nice clothes but it's not worth that much time or effort--would rather be working out!

Anyhow, fortunately noone filmed me ;) and also it started raining and half the people on the street didn't have an umbrella and were soaked head to toe.

>>Several years ago, that was an "in" look in France ( and some other European countries). White pants with very visible printed panties.<<

Ooops! I'm so ignorant of fashion, then! Silly me--and here I thought that woman just didn't bother looking at her backside in the mirror before she left the house. }(

Hi Bunbun! I just adore What Not To Wear, but absolutely agree with you. I go out to the supermarket in my old t-shirt and my 15-yr. old shorts with no make-up and really don't care. If I had to primp every time I walked out the door, I'd never get out the door. Hey, I can only be a fashionista for so many hours a week.

P.S. I would LOVE to hear how you dropped the rotisserrie chicken down your leg. LOL.

-Nancy

I love WNTW, but only the BBC America version with Trinny and Susannah. Clinton is okay, but Stacy just gets on my nerves. I think she is waaaaay too overcritical and snotty. I also think they choose some pretty bad clothes for some of the participants because they don't seem to go for the right shapes like Trinny and Susannah do. Just my .02.

Talk about WNTW moments... I took my son school shopping today and wore these awesome new jeans that are on the longer side (they will look fab with my pointy black boots)... I wore heeled sandals but halfway through our expedition, my feet were KILLING me, so I switched to a pair of buggaboo sneakers, which you may or may not know are as flat as flat can be, so my pants were really dragging on the ground. I felt like one of those grungy teenagers! LOL

Cheers,
Marie

>>>Several years ago, that was an "in" look in France ( and
>some other European countries). White pants with very visible
>printed panties.<<
>
>Ooops! I'm so ignorant of fashion, then! Silly me--and here I
>thought that woman just didn't bother looking at her backside
>in the mirror before she left the house. }

Well, seeing that is was "in" in France YEARS ago, I'm sure this woman was probably not making a fashion statement, but just one of the many people (judging by bad panty lines I've seen under 70's-style poly pants) who don't look at their rear view before leaving the house.

Hi Marie,

I loved season 1 and 2 of the BBC version then I just got bored with it. They have so few episodes a year. Stacy bugged me at first but I have to say, she has really grown on me over the years, and I think Clinton has an adorable personality. This is the only reality program I watch because it's fun and useful. I feel like I always learn something. Left to my own devices, I am absolutely clueless about fashion. :D

Michele

I've enrolled in a community college as a step towards a new career, & I'm seeing plenty of "not to wear" moments. The "muffin top" is everywhere. Alternatively, are the peasant tops that make even scrawny women look pregnant. There's a lot of cleavage. And few can sit with any personal dignity from the rear view.

Some males are still wearing the low pants, boxer look. I don't know how they walk.

As mocked in Boondocks, the long, long t-shirt over baggy, baggy pants is popular with some. It seems to hide some fit bodies.

This is new: Some very buff, confident guys are wearing plaid short suits in attention getting colors. Shorts fall just below the knees, the "jacket" is a short sleeved button up, with a solid t-shirt underneath. It's not flattering, but it does get your attention.

Personally, I'm rarely dressed in anything that I didn't buy at REI.

Debra

Sadly, my whole life is a WHAT NOT TO WEAR moment.

I'm not kidding.

Financially, clothes shopping is out these days, so what can ya do??x(

LOL though at how they expect you to wear a cute outfit everywhere. Big rip off too, IMHO, when you only get about five outfits for $5,000. I'll be heading to TJ Maxx with my moolah, thank you very much.....LOL

LOL Debra at the community college thing...SOOOOO many what not to wear moments to be had there......:)

Janice...

Janice, I haven't seen you surface for awhile but I honestly appreciate your workload.

I've just finished my 2nd week. The Chemistry lab professor scared the s*** out of my first lab partner -who didn't speak much English. She baled.

My 2nd Chem lab partner received a very public lecture about her attire: muffin top, open toed shoes, lots of upper body exposed above & below the bra line. She had missed the safety lecture.

Back to fitness: I'm trying to find a healthy balance between academics, my household, & my health. So right now, 40 minute dog walks at dawn with walking lunges, counts as a workout!

It's been high 90's, to low 100's here in So Cal. I would not want to deal with the extra 10 degrees you have in Phoenix.

Good Luck. Have Balance in your life.

Debra

RE: Janice...

Excuse my ignorance--what's a muffin top?

Not much drama to the rotisserie chicken story: I was in a really crowded supermarket, juggling my purse and a loaded tote bag from work. Picked up one of the chickens with my one free hand--it was too heavy to use only one hand--the plastic container it was packed in sort of bent and popped open and the chicken fell out, hitting the front of my pant leg and sliding all the way down it. Ick! I had to wash the pants to get the grease out, which (though the label said they were washable) made them look old and faded.

Also have to agree that I think that sometimes the Stacy and Clinton show dresses people in clothing that aren't particularly flattering. Just saw one show last week, actually, in which a 20ish girl who has a little overweight looked slimmer in her original clothing, though she wore all black. They put her in these frilly dresses--nice colors, but she looked 40 pounds heavier.

RE: Janice...

A muffin top is when you wear low rise, very tight pants and the fat puffs out over the top of the pants. Visualize it and you'll see why it's called a muffin top.:p

Most of my WNTW moments are on weekend mornings when I'm running out to get the papers and groceries - I put on whatever jeans, whatever top (often the one I slept in, LOL) and flipflops, scrape my hair back into a sloppy ponytail, and head out the door.

I also got busted in a WNTW moment last fall when I was walking home from my Pilates class. I had on my workout clothes - faded but comfy Old Navy yoga pants, V-neck T and hoodie, flip flops, messy ponytail, no makeup because I'd just been sweating for an hour. Nothing was stained or torn but it wasn't fashionable, that's for sure. Some bright young thing accosted me and said she was a producer for a local WNTW ripoff show called something like "Guerrilla Makeovers", where they grab some schlump - errr, that would be ME - off the street and whisk them away RIGHT THAT MOMENT for a haircut, makeup job and new outfit. They then invite 12 of your friends and family to a restaurant or bar THAT NIGHT and follow you in with cameras as you debut your new-and-improved look.

It was funny - I didn't know I looked THAT bad.:D I know I clean up well, and this wasn't my typical "look", so I turned down the offer.

Allison

>Sadly, my whole life is a WHAT NOT TO WEAR moment.
>
>I'm not kidding.
>
>Financially, clothes shopping is out these days, so what can
>ya do??x(
>
>LOL though at how they expect you to wear a cute outfit
>everywhere. Big rip off too, IMHO, when you only get about
>five outfits for $5,000. I'll be heading to TJ Maxx with my
>moolah, thank you very much.....LOL

Janice, I totally agree with you! I love the show and watch it whenever I happen to find it on. But come on......at least in Wisconsin, we do NOT spend $300 on a skirt to wear for errands (I don't spend that for ANY piece of clothing actually). IMO nobody sees the tags on the inside of my clothes, so who cares if I'm wearing Mossimo from Target or Donna Karan??

Wow, Allison. That IS a WNTW moment! Funny!:D

I have watched Trinny, Susannah, Stacy and Clinton so much that I find myself walking around NYC looking at people and thinking "good color combo", "wrong neckline for your figure type", "great shoe shape for those pants", "that jewelry is all wrong for your bone structure".

I've been watching those shows WAY too much.

My 16 year old step daughter who is a fashion diva - seriously, the girl never looks bad (I'm envious, yes, I admit, but I'm NOT spending an hour doing my hair every morning!) - had a nice little WNTW moment a few months ago. I had to take her to the OBGYN because she was having some issues with TTOM. I'm running late, so I pull in front of the house, and she hops into the car. She was wearing a pair of jeans and a brown peasant blouse. You know, the aforementioned kind that makes everyone look fat or, hmm, pregnant? Not quite the image a 16 year old very much non-pregnant girl wants to portray... I still haven't figured out if I was more embarrassed or if she was.

<<You know, the aforementioned kind that makes everyone look fat or, hmm, pregnant? Not quite the image a 16 year old very much non-pregnant girl wants to portray... I still haven't figured out if I was more embarrassed or if she was.>>

I once had a very distant (and nosy) cousin quietly ask my sister if I was pregnant when I wore a top like that to a family event. x(

Thanks for the link to the muffin top story! Lol--I didn't realize that "style" had a name!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.