My Stinky Dog

RunnerGirl

Cathlete
I don't know what is up with him. For the past 2 days, he has been ummmmm farting up a storm. I mean he can clear the room! He hasn't had anything different in his diet, that I know of. He can be sneaky and grab food when no one is looking but I don't think he has done that. What is up with my farting dog??:eek:

I would just blame the farting on my husband...I wouldn't want anyone to think badly of my dog. :p

We're in the same boat. With our dog 'Jethrene.' (Dh named her that BTW :rolleyes:). I nicknamed her beanie because she is a boston Terrier and it turned out to be fitting!.. Beanie morphed into 'Beano' which morphed into 'BE NO MORE GAS Hanrahan' LOL

BUt Beanie goes outside and eats poops and whatever she can find in the yard. I wonder if this contributes to her problem.

Last edited:
BUt Beanie goes outside and eats poops and whatever she can find in the yard. I wonder if this contributes to her problem.

Oh boy. There is nothing like a poot from a dog that eats poo. Or a belch for that matter. :eek: You should try it in stereo! :p

Well LaDonna I can't tell you what's causing your recent problem, it's one I live with constantly. And my pug insists on having his butt in my face at night, so I'm often awakened to the delightful scent of dog poo pooting.

Hmmmm.....maybe he found something interesting in the yard to eat? I am looking at him now, he is laying in a sunny spto on the floor and looks so cute. Too bad he is so smelly! LOL.:p:p:p

Rather gross reply

Question - is this a tooting issue or is this a kind of constant odor issue?

Our dog all of a sudden was having this "odor" - fish smell to be exact. This after I gave a good bath. She also was quite the tooter. Anyway - I am active in youth football and while walking my dog down at the practice fields I saw my vet. She started petting Bayley and I just off hand mentioned the smell thing and she gave me this looks like "eww - I know what that is". She told me to bring her in to have her anal glads drained - WHAT?????????? They were so impacted that they smelled and that it was also causing back up into the you know where area. I now take her in for a "squeeze" every two months. Probably could go every month. I was told that large dogs (mine is a 30 lb Beagle) need to have it done more often.

Also - I changed her snacks. No more junk food snacks (snausages and such). I have gone to the all natural kind of snack - Newman's own (RIP), and a brand called Crunchy Time - carrot, apple or blueberry flavor. This has also helped with funky smells.

Sorry if I grossed anyone out - please don't flame me or bash me.

i had a dobie that farted so bad that i took him to the vet because we could not stand it anymore. the vet said no more greasy snacks like pigs ears or things like that, and also he suggested putting some water in his food (they ate dry food).

i know he also ate my pug's poo (my pug must have had some yummy poo cuz both of my dobies would fight over who got to eat it...disgusting), but i think it was the treats....once i cut out the greasy treats, he got a little better.....

What is it with dog's eating poo?????????????????????? I think mine is past that but geeze was that gross in the first couple of years.

Baylian - The anal gland thing is awful isn't it? I had never heard of it until having the very problem you mentioned with my female doxie Cheyenne. I unfortunately had to learn how to do it since I have 3 that need attending to and the monthly vet visits just weren't going to happen. :eek:

Baylian - The anal gland thing is awful isn't it? I had never heard of it until having the very problem you mentioned with my female doxie Cheyenne. I unfortunately had to learn how to do it since I have 3 that need attending to and the monthly vet visits just weren't going to happen. :eek:

I have watched my vet do it a few times. I keep thinking to myself "I can do this" but then I chicken out. It costs $17 each time we do it which is ever other month. My son - the aspiring vet - has mentioned giving it a go also.

I certainly noticed a difference.

God Bless You for taking on this task yourself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I commend you!

A trip to the vet would not be amiss. If the dog is suddenly passing gas for no apparent reason it could be something a simple as a gland issue or it could be something more complicated. Either way, it's always better to check early than to leave things wait too long.

Just my 2 cents

RE: the anal gland thing. I have heard horror stories of this issue from other pet owners. SSSOOOO glad I have not had to experience this first hand. The people I have spoke with have done it themselves. HHHHMMMM????? :eek: Not sure I could do that myself.

Good luck with it.

the anal glands

can definitely be a factor, but that is a different smell from what i recall than farts... as recall that smelling very skunky....as for poo eating....my dobies never outgrew the taste for my pug's poo....he did have a different diet than the dobies so maybe they were trying to get some of whatever he was having...:p

every time gomez (my pug) would go outside, my dobies would race outside like there was a 20 oz filet waiting for them....the thought still makes me laugh....

can definitely be a factor, but that is a different smell from what i recall than farts... as recall that smelling very skunky....as for poo eating....my dobies never outgrew the taste for my pug's poo....he did have a different diet than the dobies so maybe they were trying to get some of whatever he was having...:p

every time gomez (my pug) would go outside, my dobies would race outside like there was a 20 oz filet waiting for them....the thought still makes me laugh....

Both my dogs do it. When Cosmo was around (my 90 lb lab mix for you newbies ;)) my pug would stand right behind & underneath her. He obviously prefers his meals warm. :eek:

Ewww Laura. LOL.
Well I will take him to the vet if it continues but I just noticed it this morning. And he has had his anal sacks cleaned or whatever it is called before. The vet wanted to teach me how to do it and I said ummm no I'll just bring him in. ;)
I think that maybe he just got into something outside. I will keep an eye on him.

I can't figure out how to edit? :( Anyway, I realized in my first post that he has been doing it for 2 days. Short term memory. ;) Anyway, I'll call the vet tomorrow if he is still tooting.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.