My Son....AAU regional karate tourney

dlavie

Cathlete
Well he made it through the regionals and will be invited to nationals.

He had a really great day yesterday and positively romped. His division was male 19-34 intermediate (greater than 2 years, less than 4 training).

He took gold in Kumite (sparring) and Kubodo (weapons- Sai). He took silver in Kata (floor exercise). It was on a carpeted floor and I think it was messing up his turns.

What was cool was having to intercede at a pre-match referee interview/instructions. The ref thought I was just another hovering parent and she had trouble communicating with my son, so I finally said "I can help, he is autistic", there was dead silence in the area. We got through the instructions and the match finally began, Scott had a cheering section from that point on.

It was a really great day!

So cool when people get to see that people with disabilities really are cabable of doing great things!!

Way to go dad and son!! :)

Mary

Dave,
Wow! That's so terrific! Loved the part about your son's cheering section too!

Jonahnah
Chocolate IS the answer, regardless of the question.

Dave, that's just awesome! Please congratulate him for me. Is there a video?

And another thing -- when it comes to parents, your kids hit the jackpot!

I have video I just haven't edited it yet.
The quality of the vid isn't great to begin with. They held the competition in a large hotel function room. I might have it up by next weekend.

Yes we are very proud of him. Nationals is at the State University of NY at Albany so we lucked out in travel costs, 3 hour drive. First week of July.

Dave, a big round of applause for Scott and his excellent family.

DX registered DS over the weekend to begin karate whenever the next cycle rolls around.

Happy days!

Videos are up

http://david.lavie.googlepages.com follow the link to my videos

Google wouldn't let me upload the kumite (sparring) videos because they were larger than 10meg. One of these days I'm going to get a paid host. Google's free but it has a 100meg storage limit and a 10 meg file size limit.

He got a thrill today because I let him help me build and burn the dvd and in the credits it lists "advancing to the nationals..."

Now if I hit that powerball tomorrow night I can pay for it all

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.