My sober lifestyle faced it's greatest challenge yesterday!!!...

Jodi,

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. You have my deepest sympathies. I'll be praying that God gives you comfort and strength during this time.

Jacque

Jerry,

I've walked that and failed before so hats off to you man.

I am not alcohol free, I only drink at home when I can frame it by a closing activity. I do like the taste of various wines, I wish there was more choice on alcohol free wines. I sometimes cut the wine with water.

How know how the social thing goes, I had a pushy host one time who took offense, I finally embarrassed him (and everyone else) by announcing that I was an alcoholic in recovery and didn't appreciate him trying to "f---ing kill me". I haven't visited them lately.

Good job man.... and don't worry about the sun screen the reports I've read lately question the protection level it actually gives.

Thanks for the compliment, Dave..much appreciated!

Not a thing wrong with the occasional cocktail...DW enjoys a few from time to time, and I'm only too happy to be the designated driver, after far too many years of her performing the service for me!!

Plus, I get to taunt DW when she's just a tad under the weather the next day....}( peanut butter and bologna sandwich sound good, sweetie???..:+

One thing I will say about Sunday....at no time did my buddy attempt to force me to drink after his inital faux pas, he shook my hand and congratulated me on my decision, that impressed me, big time!

I must mention a similar occurance a few years back...DW and I were at her cousins' 25 th wedding anniversary dinner...and her cousin Tony wanted as an anniversary gift for me to get drunk with him, and I refused...he wouldn't let the issue rest...so I said fine, get me a Heineken and a shot of Wild Turkey and let's do this thing right...he brought the drinks to me, and I proceeded to empty to contents into a soda glass, gave them to our server, and told her I was finished with the glass.

I went over, put my arm around him, and said I don't need alcohol to have fun, but if you want me to have fun with booze, the look on your face was priceless when the server took the glasses away, now THAT WAS FUN...He learned his lesson soon thereafter.

RE: My sober lifestyle faced it's greatest challenge ye...

>Yep, O'Douls is a non-alcoholic beer.
Good job on resisting the "real" beer. I'm not sure of your history, or why you don't drink anymore - but did you know that there actually IS alcohol in O'Douls? They call it "non-alcoholic" because it is a small percentage - but there is still alcohol in it. As a recovering alcoholic, I won't touch the stuff, lest it set me off on a tear and I'm not willing to blow 23 years of continuous sobriety.

:7 That's awesome!

I have a pushy drinker in my family. He makes me nuts. He knows I never drink, I never started, and I don't intend to start, yet he bugs the crap out of me at almost every party.

Until he's really drunk. Then he's busy hanging on people.

>:7 That's awesome!
>
>I have a pushy drinker in my family. He makes me nuts. He
>knows I never drink, I never started, and I don't intend to
>start, yet he bugs the crap out of me at almost every party.
>

People get really nervous when you don't drink, for some reason. I've never been a big drinker but I did like my wine. Recently I've given up drinking alcohol all together and some folks really have a hard time with it!

Jerry, congrats on choosing your own path.

Sparrow

"The winds of grace are always blowing but it's you who must raise your sail." - Sri Ramakrishna

Jerry,
I am very proud of you. I told you about my friend who is a recovering alcoholic. He is still sober, thank goodness. He was a raging alcoholic and he was arrested for drunk driving. That is how he has learned his lesson, and knew that he was destroying relationships because of his outrageous drinking. He is not a bad person by any means, just a guy who can't control himself. I think most people with addictions are not bad people, that is just the way they are wired. He is an intense person and also has ADHD big time. He is going to counseling for all this stuff. He is closer with my DH than me and they hang out and fish a lot. I will ask DH if he is going to bring beers on the river when they hang out, which is what DH does, and he will say that **** is who he is and that he will not change the person he himself is. DH and I like our beer, but can keep it under control. **** has been to many parties with alcohol around and just drank his diet Pepsi. He still goes to the parties, has a good time and no one would ever offer him a drink. We just love him for what he is doing. His life has turned around. I am pleased with you making the right choices. I have been the DD many times and it is a good feeling. :) I bet you will have a blast at the road trip! Congratulations on your amazing accomplishment so far! :)

Congrats on facing the challenge and coming through strong.
Situations like these must be the toughest (surroundings, food and people associated with drinking). Glad you came through all right.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.