My experience with Splenda

I used to used Splenda, equal... But, after hearing about the many side affects, I figured it really could not be good for you. Any of these modified foods seem to be good to avoid. I use Sugar in the Raw and if I cannot find that, I'll use plain white sugar before Splenda or any of the others. But I only really use it in my tea in the morning, so it's not too much.

i have problems with aspartame. Give me an upset stomach and headaches. Luckily, I figured this out about 15 years ago, when the stuff first came out. I simply refuse to eat stuff with the chemical additives in them. The very few calories you're saving are simply not worth the dangers/risks. I am totally convinced that the problems with kids nowadays (ADHD, anxiety, autism, etc) are related to the environment and what's in the food we all eat. You hear all the time about pregnant women who drink a lot of diet beverages. That crap goes straight to the developing fetus. But the food lobby is strong, of course, and will never admit to the links. None of us can avoid everything, but I do my best to avoid chemical substitutes in my food and eat food the way it originally starts on the planet. In the UK they've actually started banning additives (colors and sweeteners, I believe) because they have linking them to problems with the kids. I will also add that I am luckily, I outgrew my sweet tooth about 20 or 25 years ago, so.......

I have only been Splenda free for 3 days now -- I still got sick last night. I got a low fat ice cream at Oberweis last night. The kid at the counter told me it didn't have splenda when I asked, but now I wonder because of how sick I got a couple hours later. I don't know how long it takes to get splenda out of your system -- I have read from others that it can take a while, probably especially if you have been eating it like me (off and on for about a year).

Jennifer -- if you are having stomach pains you should still probably see your doctor to rule out other problems. Please keep me updated on your progress!

Monica

Monica,

A few years ago, I tried Splenda products to help with weight loss. After a few weeks, I noticed that I was feeling just horrible, tired, moody and generally sad. My moods got worse-- I was crying constantly and for no reason. I didn't have increased work stress, so I figured it might be diet. Like you, I started looking around and viola! other people have had this same type of reaction to Splenda. I cut it out and was better in a week. I tried to spread the word to family members, but they just rolled their eyes at me...:)

L

I used Spenda for a while but stopped using it very shortly after I started. Within hours of consuming the stuff I would have horrible heart palpatations. I thought my heart was going to jump right out of my chest. The stuff is evil! }(

Monica, thank you for your concern. I haven't consumed anything with Splenda in about two days and I'm starting to feel a little better. Still have some pain, but it's definitely better than it was two days ago. I'm going to give it a little more time to see if it goes away, and if not I'll definitely be giving my doctor a call.

Hope you're doing well, too.

OMG me too. I have hardly been able to eat anything for almost 3 weeks. Unfortunately I can hardly keep water down, but I can keep down diet pop. I had my gallbladder removed about 4 months ago and I still am having problems. Since I am a personal trainer and a fitness instructor I am hardly able to work. Most of my time is spent on the couch moaning. I have been crying for days because I don't know what to do anymore and the next appointment for my gastroenterologist is in 7 weeks, how am I supposed to live like this for 7 more weeks? Are they kidding me? I only eat a few products with splenda in them (like diet pop) but I will get them out of my system to see if this helps. At this point I really will try anything.

Thank you for your post, it gives me a ray of hope.

If it's man-made, it doesn't belong in the body long term. Period. Splenda may be "a form of sugar", but it's still man-made. Aspartame (Equal), saccharain (Sweet-n-Low), high fructose corn syrup --- all are man-made, as well. Eating products made with this junk is like taking antibiotics (which are also man-made) every day for the rest of your life. That would be stupid because of the permanent damage that would be done to your body's natural bacterial defenses, which sustain our lives.

So many people blindly believe everything they are told and think that just because the FDA approved it, it has to be good. Well, cocaine and heroin used to be approved medical treatments...and people once thought the world was flat. Just because someone says it's okay to eat this artificial crap doesn't mean that it is.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.