My 1st mammogram...

MARY1616

Cathlete
I am having my 1st mammogram in 3 hours and I am a little nervous:confused:. Has anyone had it done? does it hurt?

Yep, it hurts because they squish your boob a lot, but not for all that long, and it doesn't stay hurting after the mammogram. I'm sure you will be fine.

Hi Mary,

There's nothing to be nervous about! I had a baseline mammogram last year at 35 and it was easy. I had a digital one and all that's involved is a little squishing of "the girls" to get them positioned right:) And what's a little squishing when it's for such a great cause?! Maybe nursing 3 kids had something to do with it too-now that can be painful!

Good luck!

It's a little uncomfortable for a very short period of time. Don't worry if the results tell you to go for a sonigram. It just means your breast tissue is "dense" and they need a better picture, not that there's anything wrong.

I wouldn't really call it painful, more like 'uncomfortable' though if they'd squished any more, it would have been pain. I think the experience can be different depending on the size of your breasts. I imagine someone bigger than I am (a barely B) might feel more discomfort because there's more squishing involved (and I've never understood how that doesn't damage the tissue in some way, or make the breasts more flaccid). Though it might be more uncomfortable for very small-breasted women because it would take more finagling. (The women who did mine said my breasts were the perfect size for the test: not too small and not too big. How comforting!)

They basically put your breast on a plate that is chest high, then what feels like a metal plate presses down, a bit beyond where you yourself would say "okay, that's enough!" At least that's how it felt to me!

So basically..they put my boobies in a vice:confused:hmmmm!!! I am going to try and remain relaxed and hopefully i too will have the right size boobs:eek:

Clearly a man invented this test!! ugh - I'm going to have to have one this year and I'm not looking forward to it. Forget the discomfort, to me it just sounds humiliating/embarassing.

I wear a size H, so probably felt more pain than some women. Ridiculous, ain't it? I used to wear a size JJ, though, so it's heading downhill.

Mary - I had it done 2 years ago when I had a suspicious lump found. It really didn't hurt at all - like Kathryn said it's just uncomfortable. And it's also amazing how flat they can squoosh a boobie!!! You'll be fine! :)

It really isn't all that bad. It is like having your boob in a vice but it's more uncomfortable for just a little bit; & like someone else said, the tech's are very professional & it doesn't take long at all. I'm usually in & out w/in 15 minutes & that's from the time I walk in the door. You'll be fine.

So basically..they put my boobies in a vice:confused:hmmmm!!! I am going to try and remain relaxed and hopefully i too will have the right size boobs:eek:

Yep, pretty much. Just breathe normally and relax, it's only uncomfortable for a few minutes. I have breast implants so I have to have MORE pictures taken than normal to make sure they can see the tissue around/under the implants so while you're there be glad you're not me! :eek::p
Also, like with a pap smear, remember a few minutes of discomfort could end up saving your life. :)

Actually, yes, it does hurt, let's be honest here. It hurts because I am so small and the blasted plastic sheeting/frame gets shoved up tight against my rib cage so it's pushing hard against bone. It's horrible and I dread it every year but the technicians are always great ladies and talking to them helps me get through it.

So, how did yours go?

Clare

Actually, yes, it does hurt, let's be honest here. It hurts because I am so small and the blasted plastic sheeting/frame gets shoved up tight against my rib cage so it's pushing hard against bone. It's horrible and I dread it every year but the technicians are always great ladies and talking to them helps me get through it.

Clare, I am very small also and mine really didn't hurt. I'm sorry yours do! We are all so different I guess :)

I think it depends upon the technician that does the test also. My first mammo was horrible, ended up getting bruised. I am small chested and the tissue is dense, so the tech tried to grab as much as she could and pressed the plates as close together as she could to get a good picture. I've had other ones done since then, explained the previous bruising and the techs have been great about it, just some discomfort.

Sharon

Clearly a man invented this test!! ugh - I'm going to have to have one this year and I'm not looking forward to it. Forget the discomfort, to me it just sounds humiliating/embarassing.

I don't think a man invented the mamogram; however, a man definately invented the pap smear! Now that is humiliating...

Boy I dont know what I would do without all of you!!! thank you so much for posting all of this info:) I am leaving in 1/2 hr. and of course my dh is stuck late at work( a little added stress) I will et you know how it went when I get home.

Hi Mary!

I hope your mammogram went okay! I find that it all depends on the tech doing the squishing as to how uncomfortable it gets! Sometimes it's okay and sometimes it hurts.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.