Music

I generally like Cathe's music choices. Sometimes there is a song I don't like, but overall I find the music very agreeable. I loved the music from LIS, especially Cathe's version of "On the Floor". I can take or leave lyrics, but a driving beat gets me going every time. I think Cathe has quite the talent for picking songs that fit well with the exercises. I never worry if there will be songs I like. :)

For me its Imax2 with the best music,but to be honest when I do her workouts I barely pay attention to the music in fact sometimes I just don't hear it because i'm just trying to breath:eek:

I think Intensity series had the best music followed by body blast and 4ds...I am loving the lis series but the music is something I struggled with...i personally found all the keyboard music irritating to the point of turning it off.

I LOVE THE STRETCH MUSIC IN LIS-CARDIO SUPER SETS! The guitar stuff is SO uplifting and makes me happy. (or is the endorphin rush after such a satifying workout?):)

I did Cardio and Wts this morn and BG recently, I want to add those to my "love this music" list. why do you build me, buttercup....(yes I *am* singing it all day long)

Yep! I was in Walgreens once when that song came on. I almost started doing up-and-backs right in the store.;)

I did Cardio and Wts this morn and BG recently, I want to add those to my "love this music" list. why do you build me, buttercup....(yes I *am* singing it all day long)

Faithnveggies maybe you could offer SNM a deal to sing the fake vocals on the Upcoming WOs?? :)

I like that song too and that series. I think I read once that SNM got a great deal on music licensing back then. Theres also some old WOs with great tunes the step portion of MIC comes to mind with Ohio Players Rollercoaster. (I can't usually get to the end of that WO though!) :)

Kater, music licensing was easier and cheaper in those days. The Library of Congress and the music industry really messed things up for everyone. There was awhile there when streaming radio sites were worried they would have to close due to fee increases. We really need to petition Congress to change the laws for video use. It doesn't stop piracy and the rules actually took away a viable revenue stream. Fitness videos are a huge and continually growing industry. It didn't occur to them the producers would simply go elsewhere for music. I think this is one issue every Cathlete can support. :) Ok, off my soapbox.

Sent from my iPad using CatheForum

well i will have to say that i am with those that say that music is not a deal breaker for me. although there are some dvds that have better music than others i still just want a kick butt workout....even tho i have to agree with elsie3...in sts it drives me crazy that in the warm-up the moves are "off" with the music...but like she said the warmups are short so i can deal with it for that short time....a driving beat is nice, but a lot of time i really don't pay attention to the music unless the moves are meant to be choreographed to the music, which i then pay attention to....b/c then it will drive me crazy if the moves get off beat for some reason....so n e way the music is definitely not a deal breaker, especially when it's a kick butt workout:)

I agree with those who have stated that music is not a deal-breaker. There are certainly some workouts where I prefer the music, and some, not so much...but for the most part it is all good or at least tolerable.

Now, having done Cathe for 8 years, I am sure she would not be happy with tolerable, but the bottom line is that music is different for everyone.

However, I also have to say that I, too, prefer driving beat when the going gets tough in the workouts...it just helps energize me. For instance, in Imax 2 there is a point around round 7 or 8 when the music kicks in and I love it. Also there is some great music in Athletic Step when it starts getting a little hairy too. Also, there is some good music, I thought, in High Reps. Someone mentioned the "Buttercup" song...Oh good night...that's one of those tolerable ones...or maybe I have just done that workout so much (can't remember the exact one) that I simply cannot STAND that song...but of course, I love the workout and Cathe, so I get over it and move on.

Mostly, my favorite is some electric guitar with a funky and driving beat...like maybe some old Earth, Wind and Fire (FI-YAH)...now that's what I'm sayin' ladies !:p

If this is a fav music thread, I'm probably going to be poo-poo'd because I love guitars and rock, and what tralaiven commented on about Buttercup, I'm not sure...but if that's the song I'm thinking it is...:confused: (no offense people) but I'm not going to be able to listen to it. I know some had harsh words about TriSets, but that is one of my favorites, hands down. I love the music in STS. Same with Drill Max, Athletic Step, HIIT, Core Cardio Circuit, the MMA's, LOWER Pyramids, Muscle Max, Muscle Endurance, Kick Punch Crunch. The music with the weights section of Body Max 2 is sooo good! Same with 4DS. Ohhh and Power Hour! The only dvd I have that I didn't care for the music was on Push Pull and the other workout on that DVD, which I forget now. I can't get into music that is even remotely sounding like Jimmy Buffet. That is all...:p...hope I'm not upsetting anyone. Music is like a box of crayons, and I'm not sure who said that, but I'm repeating it here.

If this is a fav music thread, I'm probably going to be poo-poo'd because I love guitars and rock, and what tralaiven commented on about Buttercup, I'm not sure...but if that's the song I'm thinking it is...:confused: (no offense people) but I'm not going to be able to listen to it. I know some had harsh words about TriSets, but that is one of my favorites, hands down. I love the music in STS. Same with Drill Max, Athletic Step, HIIT, Core Cardio Circuit, the MMA's, LOWER Pyramids, Muscle Max, Muscle Endurance, Kick Punch Crunch. The music with the weights section of Body Max 2 is sooo good! Same with 4DS. Ohhh and Power Hour! The only dvd I have that I didn't care for the music was on Push Pull and the other workout on that DVD, which I forget now. I can't get into music that is even remotely sounding like Jimmy Buffet. That is all...:p...hope I'm not upsetting anyone. Music is like a box of crayons, and I'm not sure who said that, but I'm repeating it here.

OYYY Dirtdiva....I am SOOOOO with you on Jimmy Buffet...just put me out of my miZery!

People will complain regardless what type she uses.

I have found that Cathe uses the best music in the industry. I did Low Impact Circuit last night for the first time in aobut 2 years and it was love all over again! The music just kept me going. I love "Somebody's watching me" and I could listen to that track time and again. BM2 and 4DS are also music hits for me too.

A lot of people complain about the music used in the STS Cardio Series and I actually like it. Step Moves and Athletic Step keep it pumping and I'm happy happy even when I'm pooped! I haven't used the LIS Series much due to a pregnancy/miscarriage and an old injury flaring, but I haven't heard anything that I think is horrible.

I would just love to get back to the SASH/4DS/STS Cardio music. It was awesome!!! Lovin' the 70s and 80s hits especially.

EDIT: After reading through all the responses I will agree however that I put more into a workout when the music is fun and blasting. I cranked up the sound on LIC last night and just gace it everything I had. But I've also done workouts where the exercises and choreography themselves were good but the music didn't inspire and I lagged. I know Cathe can't help what the laws are, but it would be a major help to get back into using songs we can sing along with. I only listen to XM Radio and since it's not hooked up in the workout room, I don't have an option to just turn on my own tunes. "Oooo OOOOoo, I always feel like Somebody's watchin' meeeeeee"....

Last edited:
First let me say that I have all Cathe's videos, and I will continue to buy every new video released, but I too need upbeat music to keep me going. I have difficulty using the LIS because the music makes me tired.

I love the music in 4DS. It never gets old, and it is so much fun.

I really like the Asian inspired music, I found it to be very refreshing in a world of mostly dance style music or rock n roll on other workout dvds. I thought it was really original.

I also like the music from Stretch Max.

I totally agree that Cathe is a cut above when it comes to music, as well as production...hands down.

I think the point is that we are all just putting in our two cents worth and I am sure Cathe will skim off the best suggestions.

I just did Circuit Blast this morning and was paying more attention to the music because of this thread. I thought the music on it was great...especially the warm up music was rockin' with the electric guitar and all.

One last thing on music

First let me say that I have all Cathe's videos, and I will continue to buy every new video released, but I too need upbeat music to keep me going. I have difficulty using the LIS because the music makes me tired.

I agree I have almost all of Cathe's WOs and am a faithful Cathe fan but for some reason the music in LIS just doesn't do it for me. Was thinking maybe this was the new sound and I was just getting old :) but see some others feel same way so now I feel better!

Didn't realize licensing challenges now limit the selection but still have great faith in Cathe and her team as they usually pick some great unknown music too IMO e.g. opening number from Intensity WO, the High Kicks song in Low Max, some past BK Howe Collaborations etc

That said am off to preorder the new WOs and am hoping for some uplifting energetic music picks next round!!

Kater said:
I agree I have almost all of Cathe's WOs and am a faithful Cathe fan but for some reason the music in LIS just doesn't do it for me. Was thinking maybe this was the new sound and I was just getting old :) but see some others feel same way so now I feel better!
Didn't realize licensing challenges now limit the selection but still have great faith in Cathe and her team.
hoping for some uplifting energetic music picks next round!!

I echo your sentiments...esp your first statement. ;-)

Really uninspired by the music in the latest series (but not the workouts themselves, of course!). I hope Cathe goes back to the type of music she's used in the past, especially like in Intensity, Lower Body Blast and High Reps, but I also very much enjoyed the music in Drill Max, too.

I personally LOVED the music in the abs portion of the turbo bar!! I just received her sts ABS dvd and was uninspired beyond belief ( JUST with the music)!! I agree, there is NO ONE that compares to Cathe when it comes to her workouts/music, so if there are a few ( just a FEW ) songs that I have to hear to get thru her workout, then I will gladly take it! lol....

Some songs especially on the LIS are not the greatest for some routines because of the tempo...far too fast :(

Music Update Yea!!

Am posting this in case anyone missed what Cathe said in one of her recent updates:

"Oops, i forgot to tell you about the music being used for my newest workouts. It is all "top 40" remixed music. You will recognize each one if you are a regular top 40 listener. If you don't it's only because we had our own original lyrics created for licensing and legal reasons".

Sounds awesome!! Now am even MORE excited about the new WOs!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.