Motion Sickness

CakeChica

I am going on a cruise this summer and need some help on finding something for motion sickness.

I went on a cruise for my honeymoon and had dramamine. It worked but I was sleepy the whole time, except when we were on land. I wasn't able to really enjoy my honeymoon due to the fact I was so sleepy. But this time I really want to enjoy myself to the fullest and can use any tips and advice I can get as far as what products work best. Thanks.

Ginger really helps. You can get the capsules. I like the Nature's Way brand. They are a little intense so take them with food. Buy a really small bottle to see if it works for you. Some people do really well and others don't respond to it. Its also great for inflammation and arthritis.

They also have a copper braclet the supposidly works. I get really bad motion sickness. I can't sit in the back seat of a car. I have barf bags in excess when I fly and boat I could never ride on a boat. Just thinking about it gets me sick. I hear that cruise boats are better because they are so big you don't even feel the motion.

When I flew to Hawaii several years ago I used a patch that goes just behind your ear. I was very happy with it, as it did not make me sleepy and I didn't feel fuzzy-headed at all. I'm sorry, but I can't remember the name of it, but I'm sure a pharmacist can help you figure out what it is.

Take a very large ship -- that helps.

The patch is scopolamine. I've never used it for motion sickness, but used it for post-op nausea. It requires a prescription, though.

Good luck!

Elastic wrist bands work for me. I think one brand is called "Sea Bands". They're elastic bands with a little round button underneath. They use accupressure on the inside of your wrist and there are no drugs involved.

Good luck and have fun!

Elastic wrist bands work for me. I think one brand is called "Sea Bands". They're elastic bands with a little round button underneath. They use accupressure on the inside of your wrist and there are no drugs involved.

Good luck and have fun!

These work great for me too. I have severe motion sickness in cars, planes; everything, but when I went on a cruise w/hubby the bands worked great; made a big difference.

My concern with the bands is that I have read and heard that if you don't put the button in the exact place it won't work so I am afraid to even take the chance. But I made an appointment with my doctor to see about getting a prescription for it. My plan is to take the bands and the ginger gum plus the prescription. I would like to keep it natural if possible but I don't want to be miserable so I will take the drugs if I have to. Thanks for all the great ideas. It's helped me a lot:)

I am going on a cruise this summer and need some help on finding something for motion sickness.

I went on a cruise for my honeymoon and had dramamine. It worked but I was sleepy the whole time, except when we were on land. I wasn't able to really enjoy my honeymoon due to the fact I was so sleepy. But this time I really want to enjoy myself to the fullest and can use any tips and advice I can get as far as what products work best. Thanks.

Bonine works just as well as dramamine, and does not cause drowsiness. Be sure to take it at the first sign of queasiness.

In a former life I did quite a few "bare boat charters" on sailboats. The thing that always helped me was to make sure I had something in my stomach. If I didn't, that's when I started feeling sick. All of the "drug" remedies had horrible side effects -- especially the patch -- my vision was affected to the point where I just couldn't really see and oh yuck it was awful! So, I'd try to do without those, if you could. I was on one of the smaller cruise boats in existence years after that, and I needed nothing. You may be able to get away with nothing -- the cruise boats are pretty stable.

Have fun!

I have heard the patch works like magic. My mother who is VERY sensitive to the motion of a boat, used the patch on a 10 day cruise and said she never once felt ill. She said she was able to drink with them too.

I did not know I would get sea sick on a cruise until I went on one, those bands really did nothing for me.

I used the Scopalamine on my first cruise and was sicker than a dog!! :( I was miserable for a day and a half, finally called down to the nurse and she said that it was the patch that was making me sick!

I took it off and took less drowsy Dramamine the rest of the trip and was fine.

I took Bonine on my next cruise and that seemed to work the same with less drowsiness! I know what you mean about the sleepiness...not fun!

We go to all-inclusive resorts now instead of cruises...much better for me, so that I don't have to be medicated (or something else, or sick!)for an entire week!

Good luck!
Jenn :)

So I went to the doctor today and found out that scopolamine has been taken out of the pharmacies. Apparantly it's too dangerous as well as the scopolamine ear patch. That one could cause blindness. My Dr. said that they have a generic form but most doctors will not prescribe it because it's too dangerous.

So he says dramamine would be best, but also gave me some tips. He said to wear a bead bracelet and any time I start to feel sick to twist it around my wrist. I am willing to give it a try. He also recommended ginger as well. He also said make sure your ears are cleaned will help, which I thought was strange but if it helps I will make sure it's done.

I've used both the ginger and the sea bands. I found the ginger to work very well, not so sure about the sea bands.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.