Moisturizer & sunscreen

LauraMax

Cathlete
OK, my new anti-UV lifestyle has me on a search for a good moisturizing cream (not lotion, don't like lotion) w/an SPF of 30+. Impossible to find! You can find good moisturizers without SPF, & good SPF without decent moisturizer, but apparently not both in the same jar. I don't get it. Seems to me including a high SPF in a moisturizer would be automatic.

Does anyone know of a product like this? My other option is to go w/a good moisturizer and a separate sunscreen, so my next question would be, which should I apply first, or does it matter?

On a side note, I was at my derm's last week looking at their SPF products & asked if they had a 45. She told me once you get past 30 it's pretty much the same thing, which I found interesting.

I really like Neutrogena's Healthy Defense daily moisturizer with SPF of 45, untinted. I have slightly oily skin, and I don't like a heavy cream. I use it on my kids, and they like it much better than traditional sunscreen because you can't feel it on your skin once you rub it in. Another one I like is Lancome's UV Expert 20. It's really light as well, and the saleslady said (I hope she's right) that it has some extra ingredient that protects you as well as a spf of 40 or above. Both of these products are excellent, in my opinion. I wear one of them every day under my makeup. Hope this helps!
Valerie

I really like Neutrogena's Healthy Defense daily moisturizer with SPF of 45, untinted. Valerie

I use this too, but I use the tinted. It works for me as the only thing I put on my face every day. I don't use liquid make up, I use this instead. LOVE it!

I usually use the Oil of Olay moisterizer with SPF 30.
I also occasionally use Mary Kay tinted moisterizer with SPF 20.

Here is an explanation of why 45 does not really work better than 30.
SPF is a multiple of how long it will take your skin to burn.
I am really fair and live in the south and do not burn after only 15 minutes.
So if no sunblock = burn in 15 minutes then wearing SPF30 = burn in 450 minutes and SPF45 = burn in 675 minutes.
So with those numbers you could be in the sun 7.5 hours wearing SPF 30 before you burn. The problem is, if you sweat or get wet, or rub your skin with your hand, you are removing the sunblock from your skin.
In summary, for most people there will not be an effective difference between 7.5 hours of protection and 11.25 hours of protection, because you need to smear more on before then anyway.

Also in protecting against UV remember than sunlight helps with Vitamin D and potassium production and sunlight on the retina produces endorphins which combat depression, so do not protect yourself too well from the sun. A little bit is as life giving as too much is cancer causing.

Are the Olay and/or Nuetrogena lotions or creams? I have dry skin & lotions tend to not work so well for me.

I use the Paula's choice stuff. I have the moisturizing cream that is SPF15 for days that I am just out and about and then I use the SPF 45 cream for on my face when I am working outside (most of the summer). I have very sensitive skin that goes red with some sunscreens, gets blocked with others and my eyes easily get sunscreen in them too. I have been wearing the Paula's choice since the spring and they have been working great!. You just order it online.
Heather

Anything by Korres (it's a natural product) is great. It smells fabulous and they have 20 and 30 blocks for faces and others for body. They are very moisturizing. I just ordered the 30 block stick. I will let you know how it works...it's supposed to be sweatproof and waterproof. I order from Sephora.
Amy

Ditto for Patricia Wexler day cream with SPF from Bath & Body works. I use the entire line and love love love it. Day cream is rich enough for your dry skin Laura. The glycolic peel is awesome as well. Have not tried the serum but I will!

Julie

I just bought the new Olay Rx stuff, although that's an anti-aging creme with SPF30. I then use my regular moisturizer. I have a friend who loves the Aveeno moisturizer with SPF30 (and it's ranking by the Cancer Institute), but I found it too heavily perfumed. I've heard good things about the Neutrogena, as well, but the sample felt too heavy for my skin in the summer. So far I am liking the Olay Rx, but I've only been using it for about one week. I use that along with Origins moisturizer that has SPF15.

On a side note, I was at my derm's last week looking at their SPF products & asked if they had a 45. She told me once you get past 30 it's pretty much the same thing, which I found interesting.

They're all the same thing. SPF tells you how long the product will protect you from the sun under normal conditions. Ingredients differ. Some offer full spectrum protection (blocking both UVA and UVB) while others don't.

Buy something that feels good on your skin, doesn't cause breakouts and has full spectrum protection. It's a lot to ask, but suncreens have gotten so much better over the years. Here'sa good article on suncreen:

http://dermatology.about.com/cs/skincareproducts/l/blsunscreen.htm

A quick Google can hlp you find more info on what to look for in a basic suncreen. Usually, you have to discover which of those works best for your skin and lifestyle on your own. Like, some work better under makeup than others. Have fun shopping!

Paula, of Paula's Choice has a website called Beautypedia.com. It's $24/year for a subscription, but it's totally worth it. She rates products as well as sells her own. She's great, she's so no-nonsense and rates drugstore as well as high-end products and cuts through the bull. She has a "Best Products" page on her site where she lists the best sunscreen facial creams. One thing that she mentions is that moisturizers in jars, particularly those with sunscreen and antioxidants will lose most effectiveness as soon as the jar is opened because the air degrades those ingredients. Unfortunately, it's really difficult to find creams in tubes or bottles which don't degrade.

I wish that I could recommend something, but I have the opposite problem and need the lightest, runniest moisturizer possible due to my grease-tastic complexion.

A suggestion might be to use your favorite moisture cream, and then use a tinted moisturizer w/ SPF and then a powder w/SPF over that. If your skin is very dry, you have to be careful with powder, though. Avon's Anew powder has been recommended for dry skin and it has SPF.

I also have dry skin and find Olay not moisturizing enough. I got a trial size of Kinerase, I think it had an SPF 30 and found it good. However, it's expensive ($130), large tube though. You may want to go to Sephora to ask for a sample of some different types to see which works well for you. For dry skin, at night you might want to try Decleor products. I apply their neroli oil to moist skin and then apply a night cream over it. I love it. Good luck.

i also have dry skin all year not just summer. when ever i go to the beach my legs itch very bad. i'm not sure if its also the salty water. i have started using a spray instead of lotion and that seems to help.

laura

LauraMax! Any update on what you ended up getting and how you like it? I think about you every time I put on my coolibar now. :)

-Beth

I've tried two of the recs, but either they were sitting on the shelf too long or not so great products b/c they were watery & lumpy. EW!

I did find a product by Palmer's I really like--can't remember the name off the top of my head--it's an SPF30 & very moisturizing. But it came in a very small tube & I'm almost out. So I'll walk into Harmon's to buy another $10 bottle & probably walk out w/about $100 worth of hair products. :eek::D;)

I usually use the Oil of Olay moisterizer with SPF 30.
I also occasionally use Mary Kay tinted moisterizer with SPF 20.

Here is an explanation of why 45 does not really work better than 30.
SPF is a multiple of how long it will take your skin to burn.
I am really fair and live in the south and do not burn after only 15 minutes.
So if no sunblock = burn in 15 minutes then wearing SPF30 = burn in 450 minutes and SPF45 = burn in 675 minutes.
So with those numbers you could be in the sun 7.5 hours wearing SPF 30 before you burn. The problem is, if you sweat or get wet, or rub your skin with your hand, you are removing the sunblock from your skin.
In summary, for most people there will not be an effective difference between 7.5 hours of protection and 11.25 hours of protection, because you need to smear more on before then anyway.

Also in protecting against UV remember than sunlight helps with Vitamin D and potassium production and sunlight on the retina produces endorphins which combat depression, so do not protect yourself too well from the sun. A little bit is as life giving as too much is cancer causing.

I agree with than and just wanted to add that too little sun exposure has been shown to inrease the cancer risk.

I agree with than and just wanted to add that too little sun exposure has been shown to inrease the cancer risk.

WHAT???? I just had my 2nd carcinoma in 6 mos removed. I should be spending some time in the sun to prevent this?

I am so confused!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.