Modifications for wrist injury

GrettaB

Cathlete
I posted this in the Ask Cathe forum and haven't had any responses, so I thought I would try the Open Discussion. Can anyone suggest any modifications for working around a wrist sprain? I have to wear a brace, but the doctor said that if an activity doesn't cause pain, it's okay to perform it.

I did AfterBurn yesterday and the only things I was unable to do were the staggered push-ups. Mountain climbers are okay so long as I put most of my weight on my left hand and just sort of spot with the injured hand. I can't do tricep dips, push-ups, crab kicks, etc. that require having my hand and wrist at a 90 degree angle.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I don't want to lose my upper body strength while my wrist heals, nor do I want to be relegated to only step and kickbox workouts. Thank you!

I also have a wrist injury (I am almost 4 weeks into a wrist break). For the first couple of weeks I couldn't really do anything since any movement hurt. Now I have just decided to work on cardio. I really love weight training and that is what I tend to stick to on my own. I just figured this was life encouraging me to cross-train in a way I wouldn't normally on my own. As for my arms getting weaker, yep, they probably are. But over time with my workouts I tend to focus on different things at different times and this is just another one of those times. When I can use my hand again I will likely rebuild my strength quickly, but as a bonus I will have improved cardio in a way I wouldn't have otherwise.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.