medical terminology course advice

pgun

Cathlete
I am going to start a medical terminology course at the end of this month and was wondering if anyone here could give me some advice on how to keep all those word roots, prefixs and suffixes in my head??

I have already went thru chapter one and I do okay but there is alot that keeps flying right back out of my head!!!!

Do you know of any websites that would help me? I have found a couple.

I'm so paranoid about this course I want to drop it so I don't waste my money.

thanks in advance
Penny

How about making flashcards, like kids do for math facts? That way you could drill yourself on them. The only way to get them all straight is to memorize them. It's basically like learning a foreign language - Latin, in this case. ;) Best of luck to you!!

Carol
:)

I do have flash cards! LOL I went on amazon and found some already made up because my handwriting is so bad!!!

I am going to school for Respiratory Care. I also have trouble memorizing medical terms. The only way for me to learn is to make flash cards, study study study and study some more.It seems tedious but it works. I miss my days of studying when I was going to school to get my English degree. It came so natural to me. Unfortunately unless I want to do sales there is not really a whole lot I can do with my English degree in my area so now I am back in school.

When i took this class last year i made some flash cards out of index cards,then i went over and over them. Then i would test myself with them...then i would have my DH test me! Eventually i would know them by heart....there are always a couple that i could not memorize for the life of me so i would make up a way to remember them! Like for instance, Myo means muscle...so whenever i saw that card i would automaticly think of myoplex-which is a protien shake... then i would remember. Thats how i got through it.

LOL,i hope the makes sense:confused:

med terms

I had a great med term class years ago. We memorized 350 words in 6 weeks. They taught us by using mnemonics. Also repeat the word out loud 3 times. The one that sticks out in my mind is a woman was wearing a blue fur coat with eyelashes all over it. (word was blepharitis)

Another skill a professor told me was to make your flash cards and put them in weird places in your house. Then walk thru the house picture the word on the card in that particular place that you put it. Example being a card with word "fascia" under the toilet tank. I guess you remember this because of the strange place you put it. This may sound weird but it works.

Good luck with your class Penny!!
Deb

The way I remember medical terminology is if there is a list of the words at the end of the chapter or beginning, go over the first five, memorize those in order, then the next 5, then go over the 10 (without looking of course), and so on. Also for the terms that mean the same, memorize all of those as the same meaning. This always worked for me when I had to memorize anything, including this class.

I want to thank all of you for your replies. I am getting better with remembering the meanings with yes, flash cards!!! The ones I am having trouble with are the a, an, ad, they are all too similar with all those a's!!! I will probably do okay w/the class since I started working on the book 3 weeks before the class started LOL. I'm paranoid I won't beable to pass the class so I thought I'd get a jump start on it!!! :)

thanks again
Penny

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.