Med pros...please tell me this is absurd!

So me, DH and the kids meet up with my brother last night for a bite to eat. He just met a new woman and they had their first date last weekend. I asked him how it went and he said great...super fun and she is hot...too hot.

Now, I asked "Why too hot?" He says, "Well, she is a physicians assistance and those in the medical field are infamous for infidelity". He claims the long hours and time away from home encourages doctors, nurses, all medical pros to cheat. He says it's a sure thing and only a matter of time.

By now I am so pissed at his words I had to shove food in my mouth to keep from going off on him. For one, our best friends in the world...she is a nurse...and for him to imply that my dearest Amy would cheat on my other dearest Terry...made me want to rip my own brother apart.

The other thing that pissed me off...he claims there are no hot, available women in Cincinnati and no one for him to go out with. Now he has a hot chick to go out with but will probably blow her off because of some stereotype (that I am assuming is rediculous) and then belly ache about not having anyone hot to go out with!!!x(

I swear, I swear...his subconcious mind is saying "What can I do to be unhappy".

Thanks! Needed to vent! Please tell me this is an insane stereotype made up by some dude desparate and determined to be lonely.

It better be!!! I'm a nurse married to a doctor. I've seen infidelty in the workplace, but I don't think there's a greater percentage of it in medicine as compared to other fields. I heard once that there is a high rate of divorce with doctors, especially if they married while in medical school, because of the high stress factor. I married my DH while he was in med school and we just celebrated our 21st anniversary. :) :+

Michele

Okay, now THAT is hysterical. He's going to stop seeing this 'hot' chick who makes a darn good living because he's sure she'll cheat on him in the future?!?!

Shall we form a line and take turns kicking his arse?

My opinion on cheating/cheaters...if it's going to happen it's going to happen. I don't believe there is any higher percentage of cheater's in one profession over another. It takes two people, doesn't matter if they are doctor's, lawyer's, or shoemaker's.

Let me add, anytime you have a workplace with a large number of employees whether that be a hospital, a factory, or a large office complex, you're going to hear about alot of hanky panky just because of the number of people.

I'm sure there is stuff going on in the backroom of the local grocery too but you don't hear about it because their is only two employees...and neither one of them is going to talk about it! :p

I am a nurse and I work in the ER where we work very close with our
doctors. Although I do know people who have cheated, not everyone does.
You do develop a close working relationship with each other, because who
else can you discuss all the nasty, gross, and depressing stuff we see
everyday. I personally could not ever imagine having an affair with any
one I work with, because if it is an affair, it is not going to work, and you see have to look at them on a daily baisis!!:eek:
I can honestly say that a lot more nurses, doctors, etc do not cheat than the ones that do.

Oh I'm laughing over here. Think about it - you spend 18 hours on your feet helping other people. Do you REALLY think that the first thing on your mind is to go out and get laid?!? Most of my friends in that field are too tired to get laid by their spouses, let alone by anyone else.

I'll just the butt kicking party...

You mean it's NOT true like they show on TV?! Doctors and nurses don't grope each other in the storage room? Patients don't seduce their physicans hours after heart transplants? Orgies DON'T take place in Rehab? I was under the impression that you couldn't leave an empty gurney in a hospital hallway without fear of a horny pediatrics doc and an unbuttoned triage nurse flopping down on top of it. Man, what a bunch of kill joys you guys are. :D :+

Sparrow

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ‘Wow - what a ride!’ — Peter Sage

>Oh I'm laughing over here. Think about it - you spend 18
>hours on your feet helping other people. Do you REALLY think
>that the first thing on your mind is to go out and get laid?!?
> Most of my friends in that field are too tired to get laid by
>their spouses, let alone by anyone else.
>
>I'll just the butt kicking party...

:7 :7 :7 :7 :7 :7 :7 :7 :7 :7 :7 :7 :7 :7 :7 :7 :7 :7 :7 :7 :7 :7 :7 :7
Christine, that is sooooo true!! My DH just came off of call that started the Wednesday after Christmas nad ended 8:00 this past Saturday morning. He was a walking zombie.

Let the arse kicking begin! :eek: :7

Michele

Actually, based on the Desperate Housewives show...there is an ungodly amount of extra-marital sex going on in all the trendy suburbs.

Me, I'm on a farm so life is pretty tame for me.;-)

I work in Aerospace...it's amazing what goes on here. I can't imagine it being more frequent in any other field.

I can't really support that he gets these ideas from t.v. because he doesn't watch much t.v. If he watched Grey's Anatomy...then maybe I could throw that at him....but no...no t.v...

Very much like Desparate Housewives...best looking street I have ever seen!!! All the men are attractive and the women look great with bedhead and bath robes on. This is all so different from my street where the most attractive man takes a family walk every night but only with a beer in his hand.

Wait...I've gone off topic on my own post!!! Back to telling me the assumption is total crap...

It must be the anti-gravity...I suppose that could work in favor of a man.}(

He should date someone from the police department....He'll have more to worry about than a nurse working at the hospital.

Maybe your brother feels he doesn't deserve a hot girl? A lot of guys I know feel they don't deserve a hot girl. Who knows what goes on in their heads at times.

Well, I asked my husband about it and he agreed...the assumption and reasoning doesn't make too much sense. We were thinking that he may not want to get too involved with someone so beautiful that he will have to worry about who is hitting on her. My husband said that some men are pretty insecure that way...can't stand other men flirting. I am sorry to say that my brother does exhibit pretty insecure behavior so it makes sense that such a thing would really bother him. That makes me sad...:-(

I am a nurse and have never found my work associates to be cheaters. I did however once work with a nurse who had previously worked in the OR. She said that almost every doctor there was, is, or had cheated! It had to do with long hours and just the friendships that developed when people worked so closely for many hours at a time. I was very shocked! I think that perhaps there is a greater rate of cheating in the OR but I would not say that in general medical professionals are cheaters!

I'm an OR nurse and I have known other nurses and physicians who have cheated. To be fair though, I've also known many who were committed to their spouses/significant others. Surgeons do work very long hours for days on end and they always joke that we (nurses) are their "other wives". I don't mean for this to seem like there are cheaters galore in the OR or medical field, I'm fairly certain that if someone wants to cheat, it doesn't matter where he/she works.

Sarah,

I work in Aerospace as a Finance analyst but when I started at this company 25 years ago I was a secretary in the senior offices. There were affairs a plenty and I personally know of desk trysts that went on daily behind closed doors. One was my best friend at the time cheating on her husband. She has since divorced and married the guy who is a Director at our facility. Off the top of my head I can think of three divorces and remarriages. There were union workers messing around with supervisors all the time.

I guess the point I was trying to make is that I don't think this occurs in any field in particular but at places where people do work many hours together this stuff seems to happen.

At any rate...it appears your brother is looking for an excuse not to commit.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.