Maybe the "Pink Ribbons" should turn attention to aspartame

catwoman88

Cathlete
http://www.aspartamekills.com/mpvalley/

I just posted this link in the thread for the person who has sleeping problems, but wanted to post it in a thread of its own since it focuses more on breast cancer.

This is a long article, but it is full of eye-opening data for those who have remained blissfully ignorant to aspartame's dangers and suck down their Diet Cokes and sugar-free goodies with a blind eye despite what this crap does to your body.

Take a look at the symptom list for all the other side effects of aspartame the FDA has recorded based on consumer complaints. This list also compares consumer complaints to complaints made by Gulf War soldiers about "Gulf War Syndrome". Ironically, our soldiers sucked down Diet Coke that sat in storage in the desert heat for weeks/months - and if you read the first several paragraphs of the article, you'll understand the connection between heat storage and Gulf War Syndrome.

You know, I don't care if you think this is all a conspiracy theory or not. I just want you all to take responsibility for your own health and not trust that some big-money company or government agency that gets stroked by the big-money company is telling you the truth. They're in it for the all-mighty dollar, so of course they're going to tell you it's safe. Find out the truth for yourself. Look into these things on your own. Because I am CONVINCED that aspartame and artificial sweeteners in general are one of the biggest and unhealthiest scams EVER to be pushed on the American public. There's a reason why the European Union won't condone the stuff. But I think the way I do because I've done a lot of research on the topic. For someone who hasn't, I can understand how you could think it was all a "conspiracy theory", so don't take my word for it. Do your own research and conduct your own experiments. After what I've learned, I wouldn't touch artificial sweeteners with my little pinky finger. And this is just one more article that reinforces my belief.

And perhaps there's a lot of breast cancer victims out there who now agree with me.

RE: Maybe the

Thanks for the info ~ I'm definitely going to read up on this.

I love yogurt and just noticed now my brand has aspartame in it. Sheesh, between this and the soy controversy and my funky mammograms, I don't know what to think anymore.

To each his own, but with a name like "aspartame kills", obviously there's a pre-established agenda. I've done plenty of research on this myself, and the one thing I'm convinced of is that for any claim made by either camp you can find a counterclaim somewhere else.

Yes, but all the pro-aspartame stuff I've found seems to neglect stating any verifiable facts or actual test results. I've found NUMEROUS sources that refer to the actual scientists who conducted the tests and REFUSED to give their approval. They name names, dates, tests done, findings, etc. It's a little harder to dismiss details, actual quotes (one was made by Edward Kennedy during a recorded forum to discuss aspartame's approval, which he seemed to be against), recorded forums, legal proceedings, commission reviews, etc. The last half of the linked article does a decent job outlining many of the events and proceedings that occurred leading up to aspartame's approval (that shed light on just how surprising it is that aspartame ended up getting approved and make it more obvious the almighty dollar and not the public health was behind it). So, perhaps you should read the article before dismissing it. By ignoring both camps, you reinforce the ignorance-is-bliss mentality and do yourself and humanity a huge disservice.

Also, one person who traced his health woes back to aspartame is quoted in the article as saying: "I know that the average consumer has a devil-may-care something-is-gonna-kill-me-attitude, but they don't realize that before THIS stuff kills they are going to have a miserable declining existence with LOTS of pain and other problems (not to mention cancer, tumors, and maybe even Alzheimer or similar things) before death solves the problem." Signed, "An Aspartame Victim" (holisticmed.com) I've seen and heard more and more comments like this one the more I look into the topic.

I didn't read the article, but I found out after giving up Diet Coke 2 years ago that my migraines diminished GREATLY. I am careful to watch aspartame in my diet for that reason. I will admit that I do use splenda in some things, but try to avoid the artificial stuff and feel much better because of it!

For one, I would submit that aspartame kills is a catch phrase to get people's attention. "Be careful with aspartame because it could cause health problems" is just not very catchy and attention getting. However, I am not sure what the agenda would be for someone to advocate not to take aspartame.

I personally would look a lot closer at research that claims aspartame is harmless. In general the "aspartame is harmless" claims come from research sponsored by the manufacturers. I guess everyone needs to decide on their own what risks they are willing to take and just apply a little common sense. I would say anything artificial put in your body may harbor some potential risks and I for my part don't want to play guinea pig to find out later it's in fact harmful.

For me personally, I am not faced with that question, I don't like the taste of aspartame. I may have had 10 diet cokes over my 43 year life span. But then again, I barely use any sugar anyway, anything sweet in my beverages makes me gag. Lucky me, I guess :p

So, perhaps you should read the article before
>dismissing it. By ignoring both camps, you reinforce the
>ignorance-is-bliss mentality and do yourself and humanity a
>huge disservice.

I read the article, thank you. I in no way encourage the "ignorance is bliss" mentality. I don't like to read what "pro" or "anti" camps put together, gleaning conveniently supportive facts from the actual scientific literature. I read the scientific literature. Despite you claiming to know the absolute answer, this subject is currently open for debate. My appreciation of unbiased material, from the work of scientists, not sensationalist journalists, is not in my opinion a disservice to humanity.

Nadja, I have to agree with you...the last sentence you wrote is very true. My DH is in the supplement/dietary/beauty industry, our company works with the best in the biz...scientists, dermatologists, etc...they all say so much of the hysteria surrounding artifical sweetners and other things (too long to get into here)is just a bunch of baloney with no legs to stand on. All fueled by money of course.

I do believe however there are things that do not agree with everyone's body, and if you find you do better eliminating certain things, great! I personally believe sooner or later, everything will cause cancer and other diseases.I mean everyday its something new, first coffee is bad, the next day it isn't, etc... Which is why you have to really tune into your own body and notice which foods work for you and which foods do not.

LaughingWater - Try either Stonyfield Farms, or my favorite, Greek yogurt. I get one called Oikos (something like that). There is also a Fage Greek yogurt, but for some reason, I prefer the Oikos (vanilla is best, IMO). Plus, it has no fat and 15 grams protein. I usually mix in fresh berries and walnuts - yum.

Maybe you should find better sources to quote, perhaps scientific literature from the NLM website, as opposed to crap.com

You seem to have a fascination with the word suck...and how many Gulf War soldier "sucked" down Diet Cokes? Can you cite any direct evidence of a link between coke suckers and cancer? I am reluctant to get sucked in by such claims that are obviously written to rile people up. You want to rile people up about something? How about child abuse? This crappy war in Iraq? Drunk driving? There's some stuff that sucks.

Nadja, there is no way you read that entire article in the amount of time it took for you to post your reply. It was so long, I couldn't even finish reading it...had to print it out and bring it home.

Oh my God, ADK! Your reply was completely unnecessary. Who cares what sensationalistic website title they used or whether I used "sucked down" or "drank" or "sipped" or "chugged". Get past it and see the content.

As far as scientists who are against aspartame go: My dad is a biochemist, and I did the same "give it up" crud to him when he first warned me about aspartame. He warned me and explained all the scientific mumbo-jumbo to me, explaining how aspartame breaks down into poison in the body, yada yada. I was like, "Whatever, dad." [insert rolling eyes here]. But, I mean, if anyone is going to know the chemistry of a substance, it's a chemist, right? So, I eventually started listening to my biochemist dad and looked into what he was telling me, and lo-and-behold if other chemists and scientists weren't saying the same thing. Had to step up and take notice then.

You don't want to change. Fine. Don't. I don't care. I only care about reaching the people who want to find out why they feel so miserable and get migraines and can't sleep and suffer from all kinds of weird ailments doctors can't give them answers for. You're not that person.

Carola, I'm with you. I'm trying to cut out a lot of sweet things in my diet. When I do want a sweet taste, I typically turn to stevia or agave. I just read an article that said that these are the two best sweeteners that meet all the criteria for a "safe sweetener":

1) It must not raise blood glucose or trigger the release of our fat-storing hormone insulin.
2) It must not give rise to deadly AGE (advanced glycation end) products.
3) It must not prevent our body from producing anti-aging and muscle building hormones.
4) It must be nontoxic.

Courtesy of OnFitness Magazine, July/August 2008, "The Sweet Sabotage - Can't lose weight no matter how hard you try?" by Shane Ellison

>Maybe you should find better sources to quote, perhaps
>scientific literature from the NLM website, as opposed to
>crap.com
>
>
>You seem to have a fascination with the word suck...and how
>many Gulf War soldier "sucked" down Diet Cokes? Can you cite
>any direct evidence of a link between coke suckers and cancer?
> I am reluctant to get sucked in by such claims that are
>obviously written to rile people up. You want to rile people
>up about something? How about child abuse? This crappy war
>in Iraq? Drunk driving? There's some stuff that sucks.
>
>
I don't think it is necessary to be so rude!

It was a link that catwoman was nice enough to post, as other links have been posted by other people about different subjects. We are all educated adults, we can get more information and can make up our own minds. I see those links as what they are, food for thought.

I don't see the harm in advising to limit or eliminate the intake of a potentially harmful substance. Aspartame certainly is not essential to someone's diet.

>Carola, I'm with you. I'm trying to cut out a lot of sweet
>things in my diet. When I do want a sweet taste, I typically
>turn to stevia or agave. I just read an article that said
>that these are the two best sweeteners that meet all the
>criteria for a "safe sweetener":
>
>1) It must not raise blood glucose or trigger the release of
>our fat-storing hormone insulin.
>2) It must not give rise to deadly AGE (advanced glycation
>end) products.
>3) It must not prevent our body from producing anti-aging and
>muscle building hormones.
>4) It must be nontoxic.
>
>Courtesy of OnFitness Magazine, July/August 2008, "The Sweet
>Sabotage - Can't lose weight no matter how hard you try?" by
>Shane Ellison
>
Catwoman,

I also use agave nectar which I just discovered thanks to the recommendation of a forum member (thanks Kathryn) and I use honey. Stevia has always been kind of tricky for me, it's really easy to overdo it and then it tastes overpowering, at least to me.

It never seizes to amaze me how many people let their kids have diet this and diet that. My neighbor is a prime example, her 12-year-old daughter gets all "diet" and fat-free products, she drinks 2 to 4 Diet Pepsis a day :eek: :eek: and the kid is 3o to 40 lbs overweight.

Thanks for posting the link, I thought it was very interesting to read through all this, but agree it was LOOOOONG :7

Sorry, I don't intend to be rude but when I read such supposed "content" sounds far more like alarmist coffee klatsch than actual informed discussion. No one said aspartame is required in anyone's diet nor can anyone scientifically say people are dropping dead like flies from the stuff...or maybe they are but I wouldn't believe based in this post. Unsubstantiated claims about Gulf War veterans sucking down heated cokes from a website by aspartame.com is not convincing "evidence."

I have noticed on these forums that people who use artificial sweeteners are defending their action just like smokers and/or alcoholics do.

The bottom line is (IMHO): you cannot claim to 'eat clean' if you use artificial sweeteners.

Imagine if autism was caused by artificial sweeteners...who says that it does not? Every mother I know who has an autistic child was/is on diet drinks....

>Sorry, I don't intend to be rude but when I read such
>supposed "content" sounds far more like alarmist coffee
>klatsch than actual informed discussion. No one said
>aspartame is required in anyone's diet nor can anyone
>scientifically say people are dropping dead like flies from
>the stuff...or maybe they are but I wouldn't believe based in
>this post. Unsubstantiated claims about Gulf War veterans
>sucking down heated cokes from a website by aspartame.com is
>not convincing "evidence."

Well, I thought it gave food for thought and we all can do our own research, disprove it, discuss it or just let it go.

The FDA doesn't seem to find a problem with aspartame which is not surprising. I don't think the FDA has exactly been shining in the last two decades, in what their main purpose would be, a consumer protection agency. Fact is that many European countries have banned aspartame.

A survey of the Northeastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine looked at 166 studies of aspartame in peer reviewed medical literature. According to that review, 74 studies had Nutrasweet industry related funding and 92 were independently funded. 100% of the industry funded research attested to aspartame's safety, whereas 85 of 92 of the independently funded research identified a problem.

I don't think it is as easy as to say, well, people don't drop dead like flies, it must be okay. If we were to take a drop of aspartame, turned green in the face and fell on the floor, well it would be pretty obvious - NOT GOOD, don't take that stuff. But the problem seems to be with long-term effects and it is very hard to "scientifically" prove or disprove the safety or long-term effects of many food additives and drugs. If you just look at how many drugs have been tested and approved by the FDA and then been taken off the market.

I wouldn't take the risk, especially when it comes to my children. But I guess everyone needs to make a decision what is right for them.

I think there is reason to take things with a grain of salt, not just with aspartame but with pretty much any report that is too much for or against something. Basically if the Today show will report on it with a "IS YOUR SODA KILLING YOU?" or "CAN THIS MIRACLE FOOD HELP YOU LIVE FOREVER?" headline, then I'm skeptical. The truth usually hangs out somewhere in the middle, and how many of us have the time, energy or training to actually investigate a product? We all have things we swear by and things we avoid like the plague, and for every "oh, it's an amazing product!" there's a person or study arguing against it. In general I go by the "dose makes the poision" rule and try not to get too worked up about things.

That said, I don't use aspartame. As I have posted on here before, I drank a ton of Diet Coke as a teenager and suffered blazing headaches. My father is a food scientist. When he found out how much Diet Coke I was drinking he told me to stop and my headaches would go away. I did, and they did. Plus, if I want a sweetener, I'd rather use something like succanet or agave or something.

ETA: I was thinking more about this while in my garden. I wanted to add that I actually didn't read the article before posting because it wouldn't make any difference, at least not in my world and my approach to food (keep is simple, keep it as close to its natural state as possible). I could read the article start to finish and the reality is that I still wouldn't know the truth. Nutrition/food/health science is extremely nebulous. There are simply too many variables in terms of individual lifestyles and body compositions to make any claims with any certainty; that's why eggs can be public enemy #1 for 10 years and then be called an almost perfect food. It's why the Center for Science in the Public Interest can proclaim the joys of transfats in one decade and publically flog them in the next. The truth is, we simply don't know.

OK I'm done. :D

Sparrow

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.