Luggage Suggestions?

dr.mel_PT

Cathlete
I desperately need a new suitcase! Also, I'm looking to spend no more than $100-$110 for it...I just need 1 large carrier I can check in on a flight. What are some good brands or models I can get for that price? I don't travel too often so there won't be too much wear n tear on it.

I'm not sure about prices, but we have Travelpro luggage and we've been very satisfied with it. I know there are several sites online where you can find pieces at greatly reduced prices.

we got ours at Sam's Club and are very happy with it. I don't know the brand though. I always see nice luggage at TJMaxx. Maybe you should look there if you have one nearby?

Good luck!
Jenn

For me, it's not necessarily about the "brand", but about the features each piece of luggage has. What do you need in a suitcase? What works best for you?

I do travel a lot, so I'm pretty particular about what I want mine to be like. I like lots of zippered pockets, so smaller things can be stowed neatly and conveniently. I like zippered pockets on the outside as well, so I have somewhere to slip things quickly and have easy access, like cell phone, boarding pass, etc.

I also like my luggage to be able to stack on top of each other and roll together. That means the smaller pieces need a sleeve on the back to fit over the handle of the larger piece. The weight of the luggage matters to me also. Heavy luggage just makes it harder to carry/roll. For me, it's all about what I can carry and roll by myself since most of my traveling is done solo.

Go somewhere like Mori Luggage and just investigate what they have and what you like. Then maybe check out a Marshalls or Ross or TJMax to find the same stuff for much cheaper.

I found a Sharper Image rolling computer case not long ago at Marshalls for $20. It was on clearance. It had all sorts of great features. It sold for around $200 originally! Yay!

Hi-

I travel alot too and have purchased luggage from Marshalls. One thing to consider too is not to buy TOO big of a suitcase if you plan on using it for air travel. ( With the weight restrictions being less than 50 lbs for most airlines, you will have to pay additional fees if you go over 50, which is pretty easy to do if you have a trip longer in duration and going somewhere cold where you have to pack heavier weighted clothing.)

For me, I don't buy super expensive luggage.. I've found that even the good stuff will get ripped or broken, so I just buy mine at a discount retailer like Marshalls and plan on replacing it every couple of years.

Lynn M.

I also travel frequently. I suggest you get the lightest piece of luggage that is in your price range. As others have mentioned, those extra ounces count when you check that bag. Some charge penalties for those items over 40 pounds! So, be careful in your packing.

I currently own the Bravo by Andiamo luggage and love it. It's outside of your price range, but is extremely light and has great compartments for me to place the smaller items where they either won't be damaged or lost.

But, you should go to a luggage store and talk to the sales person to help select a piece of luggage that suits your travel needs and within your price range.

Hope this helps.
Lorrayne

My next suitcase will be the cheapest, ugliest thing I can find, so I can pick it out easily on the baggage claim. :p

Its funny you mentioned that.. I just got a new one and I purposely got a hideous purple color for that exact same reason! I also have funny luggage tags on my stuff too.. one of them says, "Does this bag make my butt look big?" I can always tell when my bag is coming around the carousel, bec. people are pointing and chuckling at it before it get around to me!

Take care, Lynn M.

I have had a red bag for a number of years, but since red pops up more and more now, I use a bright yellow luggage strap that's personalized with my name...it works well for spotting...but I feel the same as you do—the good pieces get banged up just as much as the cheap ones do. Hideous print or fluorescent it will be for me!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.