Low Carbers & Friends - May

Rhea - Sounds like you're really getting into the challenge. Yeah for you! Those new workouts look pretty good - hope you enjoy them :)!

Tracy - I am so glad it's not just me :eek:! I am STILL hurting today - to the point I can hardly stand or sit. These quads have NEVER felt this way in all the years I've been exercising :eek:! I could really do without all the pain, ya know :p? I mean, I'm really glad these muscles seem to be working to the nth degree, but seriously :rolleyes:........

BFFM is Tom Venuto's book Burn The Fat, Feed The Muscle. Tom is a body builder and his blog is: http://www.burnthefatblog.com/. He also does (or used to do, anyway) a weekly/monthly newsletter.

Lita - I'm trying, no going to...do my best on this challenge. I keep telling everything to my buds here so they can help keep me accountable....back to you later....got somebody in office.

I know you'll do a great job at it, Rhea! And we'll be here cheering you on the whole way and begging for details :D :p ;)!

My goodness were we buried!!

Everyone must be busy, nobody is playing!

BFFM contest starts next week. I'm busy reading and trying to get everything organized. Lots of work, but I know it will be worth it. Should be the start of a very healthy eating and exercizing summer.

Hope everyone else is doing great. :eek:

I tried to get here this morning to see if anyone was alive but I've been swamped all day :eek:. Now if only all this activity makes the business some money ;) ...

I am sooooo excited for you, Rhea :D! I think it's awesome you're taking charge and doing this to get to your goals :cool:!!!!

Hi everyone! OK, trip to WI and MN was exhausting!!! Got about 5 hours sleep in 48 hours. I fell asleep sitting on the plane, in between 2 other people. My mouth was hanging open!!! Then we had a community garage sale on Sat. It never ends! This is the last busy week, then I get a slow down. I can make it!

Tracy, I hate to sound negative, but IMO, I would steer clear of the roller blades. It's just not worth falling and breaking a wrist. I know, that sounds cautious, but broken wrists and cracked tail bones seem to go along with that activity when we get older. At this point, you've probably already done it, so how did it go?

Rhea, is it people at your office that is doing this summer challenge, or can people on the outside do it. Sorry if I'm asking a stupid question, I only skimmed all the posts. I have been thinking about doing something different than the eternal STS workouts I have been doing. And something over the summer would be great. Please let me know.

Lita, are you doing a challenge. Once again, sorry if you have said this already. I am being lazy and haven't read everything.

Hi babes! I'm sorry I have been absent. I know I was busy last week but can't think of one thing I was doing! Except keeping busy being tired maybe! :p

Thanks for the link Lita! I looked at it briefly but did not dig into Rhea's new challenge--if I could even find it!

Melinda, hi there! I'm glad things are going to slow down for you!! I LOL with your airplane story--I envy you that you can even sleep on a plane. I can't at all. I decided not to go roller skating after all. :) And I would have been on 4 wheels, not roller blades, yikes! I decided it just wasn't a workout I wanted to do--or risk injury doing. Turns out it was good I didn't go--it was $2.00 skate night and the place was packed.

I was planning to do Cathe's Circuit Blast this a.m. (had today off) but realized all the jumping would wake up the neighbors next door. :rolleyes: Good thing I went with something less jumpy--the humidity was horrendous this a.m.! :eek:

I'm not a huge cardio fan in the summer because I work out upstairs and have no a/c but I am certainly up for a little challenge this summer! I don't think I'm up for how hard Rhea's challenge will be, but if we want to follow the same lines or make our own challenge up, I'm all for it. Modifications would be most welcome too! We could base it on some of Cathe's rotations over the years without much STS, or any if you don't want. Whaddya all say?

Melinda - So glad to see you :D! Don't feel bad about not keeping up - I'm here several times a week and still lose track ;)!

Tracy - I was just wondering this morning how roller skating went! I never was good at it - and after a 35 - 40 year hiatus, I kinda doubt I would've improved :p!

I can do anything with modifications, lol!!!! I know BFFM is not for me - I don't feel I can lift heavy enough and while he is far better w/ his diet plan than most, he's too carby for me.

In the summer, I focus on heavy weights more than anything. I have a hard time anymore with standard cardio and for sure when it's hot :eek:! I usually do GS or something like that when it heats up and when it gets really hot, I do S&H. I thought this summer I might follow S&H with Meso 3 - but only that cycle and depending on how it goes, only a week or two.

Just let me know what everyone thinks :cool:!

Last edited:
Melinda - the challenge I'm going to be doing is through Burn the Fat Feed the Muscle. It is actually a contest, with a trip to Maui as the thing to win...among others. The total details for this contest is not complete yet, but we are again having teams. I've already joined up with some other close to 50 yr old women. I needed something to push me over the top, so that is one reason why I'm doing it. Lots of work, but lots to gain. I'll keep y'all posted with stats etc. since the BFFM forum is member only. Starts off next week! Eek.

(eek, cause that means I have to take pictures and actually weigh myself, take body fat measurements, etc.)

(oh, and of course I'm drinking starbucks and wine all this week to my heart's content since those won't be on the "menu" for 98 days, sniff:()

I know it's going to be challenging, Rhea, but I have great hopes for you attaining the goals you've set! It's never easy giving up our "comfort foods" so I admire your dedication to the task you've undertaken :cool:!

Yep, I can do it!!!

Today's workout was the Christi Taylor's Ultimate Core Cardio. Such a fun workout. I tried doing it yesterday but got the low bs again! Waited too long between my meals I guess.

Well, back to pretending to work.:eek::rolleyes:

Rhea - What are we going to do with you :eek:????? You might want to try snacks when you know you're going to work out before you get a meal in ;). Just a suggestion, ya know :p!

The funny thing about yesterday was that I had my protein shake about 1 1/2 hours before I worked out. Should have been okay, but that must not have been enough for the afternoon. Plus it could have been closer to two hours since I played around on the computer when I got home instead of directly working out. I was actually feeling hungry when I started the work out which surprised me.

Hi babes! Rhea, you are a better go-getter than I am for sure! You rock my friend--giving up Starbucks and wine, AND having to do those blasted measurements and checking the scale! I will be sending you good vibes throughout your 98 day challenge--I want you to win that trip to Maui!!!

As for the low bs and being a little hungry before working out--I grabbed a handful of nuts today before my workout to quench the hunger I had. It worked and didn't take a lot of time or food to do the trick. :)

Lita, I do the same workouts as you do in the summer, depending on the heat!! :D Let me think about things a bit, because my mind is blank with regards to any summer challenge so I'll have to get back to you on that!

Melinda, please chime in on a possible summer challenge--are you interested in doing one?

I tormented myself with HSTA yesterday. I only do that one when I truly want to beat myself up. :p At one point, it had a glitch in the dvd and I said to myself, "If this one dies, I'm not replacing it!" It didn't die. Weird though, no DOMS today. And everytime I do this one I remember Lita saying we do 90 flipping leg presses in it per leg! :eek:

Did Cathe's Bootcamp today because there will be no workout tomorrow--I'm working the bowling event we have for work and there will likely be a little tequila and bad food involved! :rolleyes:

Goodness! We have a winter storm hitting us! Major wind and rain. What month is it?!? :confused:

Rhea - One day you'll get it figured out ;). Maybe nuts would work for you like Tracy said, assuming they don't upset your digestion. I am very proud of you, though, for having that shake :D!

Tracy - I can't believe you remembered how many leg presses there are in that :p. I guess I forgot because I rarely do the legs part of that video :eek:. I use the cardio as a short add-on and will occasionally do the cardio/arms for an extra upper body boost in a week, but that's about it. Hopefully that winter storm didn't last :eek:! Of course, we're still all over the board weather-wise but that's pretty standard for us :rolleyes:.

It is still trying to be winter here too, darn it. I think we got to see the sun for two days. Then came the wind and the clouds, but not much rain, just wind. I've got lots of weeding to do, but not in that wind. Hope my poor little ole seedlings are doing okay out in their wall-o-waters, but I'm not slogging out there to check!

Not sure what workout I will do this afternoon when I get home. Might do that old Vol. 1 or even better do the Shape up TLT and then a cardio. Talk to you later!

Hi everyone,

Yes, I'd love to do a summer challenge. Mostly weight work would work for me, with light cardio and abs. I actually was reading a weight lifting book and it had a suggested schedule, looked very doable. Would you all like me to type it up on here? It may be less than you'd like, but it's suppose to help burn fat and gain muscle. 4 days/week and 40 min workouts.

Rhea, good luck. I know if I had a chance to win a trip to Maui, I'd sure be motivated!

Lita, I don't have S&H. Are the reps slower than the STS?

I did 4DS premix of chest,shoulders, triceps and the reps were fast. I didn't like it. Getting used to the slower moves in STS. It feels safer and actually more affective. This weight training book is for building muscle and it says the first rep can be lighter and more reps to warm up, then you want to go slow and heavier so that it recruits more muscle fibers. Not a lot of reps.

I really need to do the 1RM test again on the Cathe website. I know I'm stronger than I was. Just hated taking the time to do the tests.

Melinda - I'd love to see it if you have time to type it :). No worries about being too little - it would actually be novel to see something that isn't too much (like Cathe's rotations) :p! Besides, we can always add on if we must, right ;). I did my own free-style lifting one summer and it was actually a bit fun to do my own thing :).

As for S&H, yes, the reps are slower and there is a longer rest time between sets, though not as long as in Meso 3. I actually vary the workouts - she does a 6 count positive/2 count negative move. I do it that way one week, the opposite the next, and a 4-4 count the 3rd week. I don't feel right doing it 3 weeks (the longest she suggests doing it) accentuating one part of the move over another :eek:.

I'm with you on feeling things so much more going slow :). I've changed that a lot lately and I can feel such a difference and am getting much more out of my workouts now than I was :cool:. I also find doing full ROM on a move, rather than pulses, works much better for me, too.

Good luck with your 1RM testing. I am so happy you're stronger now - you rock :D! But I don't blame you for not being eager to jump right into those tests - what a pain they were ...

Rhea - Did you do Vol 1 or did you opt for Shape Up :)? Just thinking about Vol 1 made my legs ache :p! Has your weather gotten any nicer? We're to have rain/snow today - but to be almost 80 on Thursday - to go back to the 60s over the weekend :rolleyes:. Typical springtime in the Rockies!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.