Love to EAT

Stacy

Cathlete
Hello everyone, hope you're all trying to be good over the holidays.....congrats to all that are! Me, on the other hand, I'm slacking a bit. Anyway, as the new year approaches I'm excited about rejoining the exercise ranks. I've spent sometime off mentally preparing myself for the long road ahead. My question is regarding diet. Being the pig I am, I love to eat! But dont fret, that's going to all change. Ive heard about and also tried a zillion protein shakes out there. I think they all taste horrible!! Any suggestions to make them taste better without adding extra calories?? I have toyed with the idea that these protein shakes may not be for me. I'm a pretty picky eater so eating clean is an enormous struggle. Anyone out there who'd like to share their secrets to clean eating I'm all ears!!

Happy Holidays,

Stacy

Most (all?) of us do too!

Just eat healthy most of the time. You don't have to eat things you don't like, well maybe some people don't like their veggies, but in general if you don't like something, don't eat it. If you don't like protein drinks, don't drink them. Do make nutrient dense choices. Food is fuel & one of the great joys in life so enjoy it.

See if the tip would work for you.

Beans are really high in protein, really high in fiber, and low in fat. For example, Spaghetti - one way that you can do that is to replace the regular pasta with 1 pound Whole Wheat Pasta. When you prepare your favorite shelf sauce, add one can of dark red kidney beans (rinsed and drained), 1 Tbs of chili powder and 1 1/2 tbs of cumin. Simmer the sauce for 10 minutes. That entire dish has 59 grams of fiber and 96 grams of protein. Now depending on how many servings you can get out of that - it could range from 4 servings = 15 grams of fiber, 24 grams of protein, 797 calories; to 8 servings = 7 grams of fiber, 12 grams of protein, 398 calories. Either way you go, it's packed with fiber, protein, and low in fat . . . only @ 5% of calories are from fat.

Just a tip. This way you get a quick meal that's tasty and packed with protein. It's real good.

Keta.

Thanks for all of your input thus far. I'm one of the rare people who dont like pasta (told ya I was picky:)) but a bean dish sounds pretty good...maybe with rice?? My one goal other than eating healthier is definitely working on portion size. If I make a dish intending there to be leftovers, I someone never seem to have any leftover?? Gee, I wonder how I've gained these 15 lbs. Oh well, at least I can laugh about a bit now, but I've spent enough depressed days and nights and although I'm sure it will be a rocky road I know I can depend on everyone in these forums to help me along. So, here's an early "thanks" to all.

:) Stacy

Hi Stacy!! I think protein drinks taste horrible too, but I love what they've done for me!! I have one every morning for breakfast. I have 2 suggestions, one DOES add calories though.

1) Try adding 1/2 of a frozen banana and a teaspoon of cocnut extract. (Not too many more calories, but a few.)

2) Add sugar free jello and ice cubes. This doesn't taste as good as the frozen banan one, but at most it will only add about 10 calories.

OK, those are my suggestions. Hope it helps!!

Aimee

Ok Stacy, how about this?

Black and White Turkey Chili
Serves: 4

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 ½ pounds turkey breast tenderloins cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 cup onion (1 medium) chopped
1/2 cup chopped green chiles canned
1 clove garlic finely chopped
3 cups chicken broth
1 tablespoon chili powder
14 ½ ounces diced tomatoes
1 (15-ounce) can black beans drained
1 (15-ounce) can great northern beans (15 to 16 ounce can) rinsed and drained

Heat oil in 3-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook turkey, onion, chilies and garlic in oil, stirring occasionally, until turkey is no longer pink in center and onion is tender.

Stir in remaining ingredients. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Calories: 484
% of fat calories: 26%
Protein: 49 grams
Fiber: 12 grams

How does that grab you? I don't use rice to much, it's an empty food, but if this doesn't tickle your fancy, let me know and I'll find something. By the way . . . This is one of my family's favorites.

Keta.

Jello....now there's an idea. Dont laugh, I know this is a dumb question, but the Jello powder or already made Jello? I'm assuming the powder.

Thanks,

Stacy

Yummy!!! This sounds tasty! My husband doesnt like beans but he's one of those people that can pig out and still be a beanpole, pardon the pun. (What is a beanpole anyway, lol?) So, my dear hubby will just have to fend for himself :)

Happy Eats,

Stacy

Hey, if you're a pig, we're all pigs. Who DOESN'T love to eat? Just last night my honey took me to this amazing Italian restaurant for dinner and I had THE most amazing pasta and he had this Gnocchi to die for...well, it was awesome.

But here's what I'm wondering. What's a typical day's food for you, if there is such a thing? I'd be curious to see what you eat, when and with what. Maybe if we all had a glimpse of your habits, we could come up with some creative ideas for you, just little things that are easy adjustments to make. Or maybe we'll see yout food diary and think you're eating really well.

So can you tell us from breakfast to bedtime what you eat? Do you tend to eat the same things most of the time?

What do I eat in a typical day?? Good question...no clue. I have no typical days. I'm a physician, work in a hospital, my schedule is constantly changing between day shifts and night shifts so I don't know if what I eat at 2am one night or 5pm another night is breakfast or dinner or both. It's hard planning meals ahead. I sometimes work a 36 hour shift and trying to bring enough food into work with me to cover those days can be hard, finding time to go to the grocery store to get the food is sometimes even harder. When I'm being fairly good and my work schedule is on the light side, I've relied on lean cuisine meals...I have no lunch break, it's kinda eat while you can. I hope to be moving into a new job position in about 6 months with more regular hours which I know will benefit both my workout schedule or lack thereof and my eating regime. Like I've said before, I'm a pretty picky eater despite trying not to be. If it's not a banana or granny smith apple, fruit doesnt cross my lips. I can do raw carrots when I'm in the mood. Otherwise I'm a die-hard carb and junk food fan...but I dont indulge in them as much as I'd like though I do much more than I should. My intestines and lettuce dont agree so salads are pretty much out. I've taken in cans of tuna but that gets old really quick. I'd love some suggestions for some quick, on-the-go meals!! Geez, have I blabbed on or what, but Ive read a few of your posts Lex, and I think you've got me as far as length goes,lol. Anxious to hear from everyone!

Chow,

Stacy

Sg

Stacy, there's a thread a little bit lower down started by Belle re Healthy Snacks. There are several ideas for portable mini meals that you might find helpful. One of the suggestions was for soup cups (the kind you find at health food stores). One just adds very hot water. There are lots of choices that include beans, couscous, etc. The health store varieties are low fat & sodium. Check the labels on the grocery store variety.

You can also get cereals (e.g. oatmeal) in a cup. They tend to be pre-sweetened but it's not excessive. Don't think of hot grains (cereal) as just a breakfast item. Combined with fruit & a glass of milk, you've got a nutritious mini-meal.

Lettuce isn't a nutritional powerhouse, so you might consider salads made of vegies you like. In winter, baby spinach w/ thawed frozen peas & corn is one suggestion. Add protein w/ hard boiled egg whites, beans, tuna, seeds, or nuts. It's often hard to get vegies prepared healthfully when you're away from the house, so packing a salad is one way to make sure you get your 5 a day.

Debra

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Dec-21-00 AT 06:35PM (Est)[/font][p]No clue how I posted 3 times.

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Dec-21-00 AT 06:36PM (Est)[/font][p]Call me clueless.

5 a day?? Nobody told me that!! Just kidding :) Seriously, I'm lucky if I eat 5 servings of vegetables a month..I'm so bad. I need my mom to move in with me again to stand over my shoulder saying "eat your vegetables or else!" I'm trying though, honest! I'm eating a tuna sandwich with lettuce right now...does that count?!

Chow,

Stacy :)

Lettuce? Shouldn't count but it does. As a physician, I'm sure you know the vitamins, minerals, phytochemicals, & fiber found in fruits & vegies help reduce the risk of cancer & heart disease. Bet I sound like your mother! I'm lucky, I love them. It is hard for many people.

Yes, mom, I know about the risks of heart disease :) How does that saying go...doctors make the worst patients, lol?? Well I dont drink, dont smoke, and I workout...the diet is coming along. I need some nutrition therapy for sure, but admitting you have a problem is half the battle, right :)

Working on it,

Stacy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.