Lorraine's form on squats

cjaymax

I've noticed on your DVDs that when Lorraine does squats at the top of the movement when she's standing back up she does what appears to be a hip thrust forward. I was just wondering what the benefits are for doing that. I notice that you (Cathe) and the rest of the crew don't do squats that way. Just curious. Thanks!!

I saw that too! Does it change the move enough to matter? I think of hammer curl/bicep curl, or squat/plie squat...many moves that when slightly different become a totally different thing.

I have to admit that I really love squats, but the main form I am concentrating on is keeping my knees lined up and not shooting forward. I am paranoid about hurting them:-(

>I have to admit that I really love squats, but the main form I
>am concentrating on is keeping my knees lined up and not
>shooting forward. I am paranoid about hurting them:-(

I do the same thing. Gotta save those precious knees.

ANYTHING to tighten the tush!!:) But that is the question, is it, or is this just her way of doing it comfortably?

i've never noticed this with lorraine.. but i do it... i consciously SQUEEZE my butt.. and it causes my butt/pelvis to go forward... but i, too, noticed that cathe's pelvis doesn't appear to thrust foward! so cathe.. please claify... are we wrong to contract out butts so much that our pelvises visibly thrust forward????????

-------------
cute work out clothes are good for AT LEAST an additional 10-15 calories burned!

Many bodybuilding experts teach a pelvic tuck at the top of a squat. If it is done correctly, it should not hurt your knees or back because it is a subtle finishing move that does not change the motion of the squat. If you ever do VERY heavy free weight squats, it also helps to keep you from bending forward at the waist (collapsing) by keeping the focus in the legs first and then butt. It is impossible to bend forward and squeeze your butt under at the same time.

Hi CJMax! Oops, didn't mean to confuse anyone :) You are probably noticing a glute squeeze at the top of the movement. While there is nothing wrong with squeezing the glute at the top, I personally choose to stick with a conservative approach since I have experienced participants interpretting this as a hip thrust in the past. I imagine on video it is even harder to see exactly what is being done.

Good to know. Thank you so much. It was driving me crazy trying to figure out what she was doing and which was the right way to do them. Thanks again.

I agree - in the KPC workout specifically it is quite clear that she is doing a pelvic tuck during the warmup and not just a glute squeeze. I haven't noticed what she's doing in the other workouts because I am so busy cursing my own pain!

I think that the way Lorraine was doing squats is the same way that the Firm instructors did squats as well (at least Tracie Long)... Or, am I imagining things?

Lorrayne (who doesn't do squats like Lorraine) :)

Here's why I add that little push forward (when I remember!): my hip flexors are really tight and short. As a result, I don't usually stand up straight - there's a slight bend forward at my hips (and then my butt sticks out a bit further in the back.) When I'm warmed up, if I do that little push forward at the top of a squat, it stretches and lengthens my hip flexor (which feels so good) and helps me get my hips aligned properly overtop my legs. The end result, for me, is that I'm standing up straight, with correct posture. I get a definite sensation of being lifted and stacked properly.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.