Loose skin

MidgetDogg

Cathlete
OK, a few weeks ago I posted a joking thread about the excess skin on my stomach that I only notice when I'm doing planks - but now I have mirrors in my workout room to help monitor my form and I can see it wrinkling and puckering and well...it's grossing me out! It's not excessively uhhh... excessive, but boy... if I could get rid of it, I'd be a happy little woman.

Has anyone been successful in getting rid of it without surgery? That is not an option for me, since I'd much rather just wear a t-shirt and use the money I'd have spent to put siding on my house. I've been looking online and seen articles about how you can firm it up with diet and exercise, drinking enough water, stimulating the skin by scrubbing it with a loofah.... all of that's fine advice and good for you anyway. I'm just wondering if I've just got to deal with it or if maybe it will go away. I mean... Cathe has 2 kids, and her belly doesn't pucker, and she's a year older than me, so I can't use either of those excuses.

I only have sympathy to offer. I'm 39 in two weeks, mom of 3, ran six miles the other day and I want to staple my whole body! Do keep in mine that it is Cathe's JOB to look like she does. I'm quite sure you have other job(s) that you need to keep on top of. I'm not saying Cathe isn't a great mom, but cut yourself a little slack. I tell you that while telling myself the same thing! I bet you look damn good (dare I say hot?) compared to so many others. Go to the mall. You'll feel better :)

It's genetics mostly. Some of us just have looser skin (myself included). Pregnancies don't help either but you have what you have.

:D yeah, I try pulling the skin back like I'm giving it a facelift. I do look very good and get comments on it all the time, but are we ever satisfied? As much as I'd love to go shopping... I've been spending too much like an American and need to knock it off.

Has anyone heard of infra-red collagen boosting lasers? I've heard enough to be intrigued. Sounds like the kind of thing that would target the saggy spots and tighten them up??? My niece tells me that lots of celebrities are having it done...no surgery...no downtime...but probably very $$$$$$!!!!

Can you imagine what it would be like to be a model or actress? I have to be satisfied with look decent with my clothes on. That's why I avoid mirrors when I'm in my underwear!

I'm in your boat. After 2 kids, my belly skin looks like elephant skin, and actually sags just above my c-section scar.
I can hide it well in clothes, but it's really frustrating that I work so hard to have a rockin body, and THAT'S the reason I can't wear a bikini anymore. :(
So you're not alone.

I've improved mine with a hot salt scrub (from Philosophy) and Palmer's Belly Butter, but it's never going to go away...or at least, I'm going to be scrubbing for a LONG time.

I've looked into a number of non-surgical options, and at least here in Chicago, all of the thermo treatments would take several passes, are not permanent, and would cost around $3-5k once all is said and done.

Thanks, but I would never spend money on something like that. I'm not that vain. I wouldn't even bother with Botox or any of these anti-aging treatments. If I can fix it naturally, then I'm psyched - but like I said, I'd rather spend $3 - 5k on my home, or even my daughter's college education.

Oh yes her skin does pucker :D

Loose belly skin is pretty much an issue with everyone. Think of a balloon before the air was blown into it (before pregnancy). It has a normal shape with a firm and elastic texture. Now blow the balloon up and leave the air in it for 24 hours before letting the air out (the pregnant stage). Now let the air out (delivery stage, lol) and notice how the balloon lost all of its air. BUT, now, does the balloon still look as firm and supple as it did before adding air or is it stretched out and less elastic? 9 times out of 10 the answer is stretched out and less elastic.

This stretched skin will respond to exercise and you will notice great improvement within 6 month to a year post baby. However, there is always that little wrinkly skin that shows up when we lean forward or face belly down (plank positions are scary, aren't they :eek:) The amount of loose skin (after a year of focused fitness/diet effort) is pretty much deteremined by genetics, skin texture and how stretched you were in your pregnancies (ie: giving birth to 9 pound or 10 pound baby or even giving birth to twins or triplets).

The loose skin (which I refer to the look of an orange's skin texture) is permanent (without having surgery or new non-surgical technology applied). There really is very little that can be done without resorting the the measures above (which I am NOT suggesting here at all).

My suggestions are:

1) Stand tall and proud as this is an instant belly face lift as well as a mood booster.

2) Work on your deep core strength as this keeps the posture in good alignment. This is huge as the "pooch" that most refer too is in most cases attributed to "lazy" stomach muscles vs accumulated stomach fat.

3) Remain stress free or as stress free as you can so that your body doesn't produce high levels of cortisol which are known to attribute to belly fat.

4) Maintain a heathy lifestyle so that your overall body (what you put in it and the results that come out of it) performs at its best.

As a side note...I most certainly have the "orange peel" skin thing going on but I make sure to always work on my posture, keep my diet clean, keep my hands stretched over my head in an "belly" shot and edit out all the overhang when all else fails ;)

Good Luck!

[/QUOTE] "I mean... Cathe has 2 kids, and her belly doesn't pucker, and she's a year older than me, so I can't use either of those excuses.[/QUOTE]

Cathe - so right and I must say I'm so glad I don't have to look as great as you all the time :)

And MidgetDogg - I laughed re-reading these posts. When I suggested to go to the mall it wasn't actually to shop. It was an evil suggestion to make yourself feel better by looking at everyone else! :) Should have been more clear on that one!

Okay, let's be honest. When we look at Cathe we sigh inside and "wish" that we could look that good. She can say that she edits out her overhang (HA!.. very cute Cathe), but for those of us that have met her in person we know she looks just as fantastic "un-edited". My point- when people look at you they don't see all the same flaws that you see. We are our own biggest critics and deservedly so since we are the ones working and striving towards being our best.

Cut yourself a little slack. You're a Cathlete and it shows! :cool:

BAH HA HA!!!! Thanks JCM, you made me almost choke on my apple. OK, I'll go to the mall and leave my wallet at home. It's safer there for me now since the Godiva store left.

Thanks, Cathe.... that's good to know - no wonder you look taller than you actually are. LOL. Sort of reminds me of an interview I saw on Oprah with Tyra Banks where she told the audience that her butt looks like someone grabbed it and crumpled it up (she did it with her hands, didn't use those words).

I actually find that the loose skin helps me get better form when I'm doing planks. If it hangs down TOO far, I know I'm not tightening my core enough. I guess I'll look at it as something a bit useful.

Cathe, thanks for that post! I am one of those women that had two 10-pounder babies, 3 years apart. What helped the most was slow weight loss after the baby, and lifting weights and working on my core. If I lose too much weight, it will look slightly deflated, like your balloon depiction. If I carry a bit of fat on my abs, its looks much better and I'm actually happier. I'm more comfortable in a tankiny anyway. For what its worth, I dry brush my skin every morning and then apply coconut oil.

Cathe, thanks for that post! I am one of those women that had two 10-pounder babies, 3 years apart. What helped the most was slow weight loss after the baby, and lifting weights and working on my core. If I lose too much weight, it will look slightly deflated, like your balloon depiction. If I carry a bit of fat on my abs, its looks much better and I'm actually happier. I'm more comfortable in a tankiny anyway. For what its worth, I dry brush my skin every morning and then apply coconut oil.

Dry brush?

Thanks for bringing this up! I'm so glad that Cathe responded as well.

She IS adorable! Thanks for sharing this--I'm getting a brush today.

I use the brush she has, but I also have a short handled Jute Brush which is much softer. Merben International and Earth Therapeutics are two I have used.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.