LIS and lower back pain

KC5689

Cathlete
Hi Cathe,
I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed this series. However, I did Cardio SuperSets this morning and by the end, my lower back hurt. I remember when doing the series for the first time, I had the same issue. I tried to be sure to keep my core tight but maybe I need to focus on it more. Any suggestions on what I can do?
Thanks in advance.:)
KC

I've never heard of sway backed but looked it up and seem to have all the symptoms. I've had lower back pain for some years now- pain when standing only 20 min and when waking- but always assumed it's because I sleep on my stomach. I'm going to do more research on sway back.
Thank you Justine. I would have never known about such a thing!

I've never heard of sway backed but looked it up and seem to have all the symptoms. I've had lower back pain for some years now- pain when standing only 20 min and when waking- but always assumed it's because I sleep on my stomach. I'm going to do more research on sway back.
Thank you Justine. I would have never known about such a thing!

Sorry to hear about back pain ---- This curvature issue can be fixed by both competent therapist and trainer.
Really hope you get this fixed before attempting any very heavy lift. All the very best.

I never had this issue with Cardio supersets but I do get lower back pain when doing both Athletic Training and Slide-N-Glide. It usually stops after about 5 mins. but it does make it uncomfortable. I'll have to try adding impact to the step portion of A.T. and see if that helps.

Out of all the series, I think this series would be the least likely to contribute to lower back pain.

It is very well thought out in terms of exercises and as a series one of the best, it's non strenuous on the body, yet it is challenging and effective. I have done the STS/LIS three month transformation rotation as well as other LIS rotations and my lower back was never affected.

Cathe, as in every DVD, points out exercise modifications to help those who need adjustments in those areas. The ICE series will actually have a modifier to show these modifications, isn't that a bonus!

I can confirm when I sleep on my stomach and I'm ready to turn over my lower back is in discomfort. It could be the mattress I'm sleeping on too. It's too firm in my opinion. Therefore, I limit my stomach rest to just a few minutes. Also, remember to keep good form when working out.

I tried to be sure to keep my core tight but maybe I need to focus on it more.

Sometimes we know our answers, go with your gut feeling. It also may help to work our biggest muscle of the body - our legs and glutes. This will help strength you lower back muscles.

Stay strong!

My issue stems from having stronger glutes relative to my hip flexors. I also get a 'pinching' sensation if I do too many Bulgarian split squats. LIS aggravates the problem because there is a lot of hip flexor work. For example, afterburn and the Spider-Man mountain climbers. I need to make a conscious effort to 'shine my hip bones to the ceiling' (as I was told). It's the only Cathe series which causes me problems. I've been making an effort to strengthen the area with lots of leg lowers etc.

My issue stems from having stronger glutes relative to my hip flexors. I also get a 'pinching' sensation if I do too many Bulgarian split squats. LIS aggravates the problem because there is a lot of hip flexor work. For example, afterburn and the Spider-Man mountain climbers. I need to make a conscious effort to 'shine my hip bones to the ceiling' (as I was told). It's the only Cathe series which causes me problems. I've been making an effort to strengthen the area with lots of leg lowers etc.
Random thought: Do you think BB hip thrusts with a slow eccentric (e.g., a 1-1-2 count) would strengthen the hip flexors? Guessing you'd need a lighter weight than you usually use.

To the OP: LIS has bugged my low back, too. For what it's worth. Even if you use great form, there's so much bending.

I absolutely love CSS, but can no longer do it without severe pain the following day. I have Spondylolisthesis, which is when a vertebra slips forward over the one below it. I get this terrible pinched nerve feeling deep inside my left glute/hip area. My PT says that I need to focus on keeping my core braced, and to maintain a slight posterior pelvic tilt, as to not allow a "sway back."

I just checked out the link that Nathalie posted. I guess when I say "sway back" , I am picturing the sway a horse has in its back. The sway back that is shown in the link was not what I was calling a sway back.
Just wanted to clarify!

One more thing, and then I will shut up.
I can not stand, walk, or be upright for long periods of time, without great pain. I get great relief when I sit or lay on my back. PT tells me this is because when I sit or lay down, the vertebra can separate and release the pressure on the nerve root. PT also says that if I insist on sleeping on my stomach, I must place a pilow under my hips. I guess stomach sleeping is really bad for even a healthy back.
You may just want to have an xray. Spondylolithesis is shown in xray.

@gratefuldog

The "horse sway" back --- Regardless of the term you are happy to use, is a mis-alignment listed in the article. I shall leave you to find it:)

I personally, IMVHO, can not offer any super expertise on this. What I can state is I never had any back issue with any series and I have been working out cathe for more than five years! The only bothersoom I have experienced was with my wrist
at LIS release while doing afterburn. This happened the first and second time I attempted afterburn. I am grateful
I can nowadays complete it without wearing wags. I am grateful my back and hipflexor do not let me down. I can honestly state I have built up endurance working out hipflexor. I am a little bit lax with my stretching....
Mind you, I am probably the odd one!

Hope you ALL find some fixing and answers!:)

Last edited:
Just to add then It will be my turn to shut up, I never heard sleeping on the stomach was bad --- interesting!

Another odd thing, probably made up, I do sleep on my tummy. In fact it is the only way for me to fall into deep sleep.
I just ensure I keep a neutral position, neutral to my own anatomical neutral disc position aligned with my Head.
To do that I use my pillow:) --- neutral superman position;):):) I do experience a slight impingement
on my disc when I do not align properly.:)

Last edited:
I can confirm when I sleep on my stomach and I'm ready to turn over my lower back is in discomfort. It could be the mattress I'm sleeping on too. It's too firm in my opinion. Therefore, I limit my stomach rest to just a few minutes. Also, remember to keep good form when working out.

Agreed ---- FORM not just while working out:);)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.