Lightweights speak up!

mklap

Cathlete
I haven't been on this forum for a while, and I had slacked off on my routines until I got the new series. I'm finding it challenging to get back into the shape I was around the time the Hardcores came out. I see a lot of you are using an 8" step. I can't frigging believe you people can do BM2 and LIC with an 8" step. I cant' believe Cathe does it given the injury and the amount of recovery time she had. I'm only 39, so I know I can improve, but it's a struggle to keep my step at 6" without modifying. I'm only 5'4" and that doesn't seem to be a factor since Cathe is short. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Am I the only one out here who is sucking wind?

:) :) :)

I only use the six inch, unless I'm in an "I can't think about choreography and really don't want to exercise" mood. Then, I will do Basic Step with an 8". I get a good workout, but I don't have to think too much about it. I'm 5'2". Maybe that's not an excuse for a lower step, but it's the one I'll use!

I think that I am in pretty good shape and I choose to use a six inch step. I can use an eight inch step and when I do the intensity factor is hightened and man do I sweat. The only problem is, the next day my knees are talking to me in a very unfriendly way. The extra intensity is not worth the stress on my knees and I am very happy to stay with the six inch level.

Cheryl

I've been trying to use the 8" height step for LIC and BM2, like Cathe does. But I do notice that my lower back feels it the next day, for some reason. Especially if I do LIC, which involves those lunges off the side of the step, where you are supposed to touch the step as you do it. That is very hard on my back. So I always modify it. Some days I feel like the extra challenge and higher heart rate is worth the extra burn (and mild pain) I feel, but some days I choose to do the workouts on a 6" step. And I don't feel bad if I do that. You have to do what is best for YOUR body, not Cathe or anyone else's. I hope that helps. :)

I say more power to the 8" step people! For me, that next 2" is like Mount Everest - I just can't quite get there. But I'm okay with it. The name of the game is working at my own pace and all that good stuff. :)

I also choose to use a 6 inch height for every workout but LIC. That one is very condusive to an 8 inch for me, but the others, no way.

Cathe recently addressed this question, and she said she uses a 6 inch most of the time. She went to an 8 inch platform on BM 2 to keep it as comparable to her original BM.

I find I get just as good results with less stress, and my legs will thank me for it as I age. To each his own, but as for me, 6 inches in height is good.

I alternate between the 6" and 8" step. When I use the 8" step, I'm gasping for air!!!! BIG TIME. I enjoy my workouts more when I use the 6" step. But I like to use the 8" step just to keep my body guessing!!!

I'm about 5'8" (w/ short legs :() and I use a 6" step! I messed up my knees years ago teaching 5+ step classes a week. I still get a great workout at 6", and it's much kinder to my knees. If I need more intensity I just do greater range of movement, more arms, add power, etc. And I don't consider myself a lightweight!

I am 5'3 and I thought of using that as an excuse to only use the 6 inch step. Why does Cathe have to be short too!!! I use her as inspiration and boost my step up to the 8 inches. I don't know how she can talk and do that at the same time, she is amazing!!! I spent after the dang warmup!!x(

I did BM2 this morning with a 6" step and still got an awesome workout. I don't think you need to use an 8" step all the time. Just work up to it, and mix and match. I try not to overthink it and just choose the step height I think I can handle that day.

I use a 6" step. I am only 5'3". I used to use an 8" step on some of Cathe's easier Cardio routines, then I switched to a 6" step and never moved back to the 8" step. A couple of times I tried to move up to the 8" step, but was so used to the 6" step, that I wasn't stepping as high and I almost tripped.
Eva

I stay with 6 inches due to achilles tendonitis which really flares up when I go higher. I don't think it's necessary to have the height to get a great workout, but you do want to make sure you're powering your movements for maximal effect.

Marie

I am also 5 foot 4 and have been doing all the workouts on a 6 inch step. In fact when I started out, I was doing them with no shoes on (for about eight months) so my feet would get used to where they needed to be ... for some reason I needed to be able to "feel" the step.

I started wearing shoes to workout this past summer and it took me a while to get used to it. Each time I wear a different pair of aerobic shoes it takes a workout or two to get adjusted to the new feeling.

I think I also remember Cathe saying that you could get as good a workout ona 6 inch as an 8 inch ... for me, the biggest challenge of changing up to an 8 is being consciously aware of making sure I lift my foot up high enough and not catch my toe on the underside! I guess that's what Cathe refers to as "muscle memory" - my legs know exactly what they need to do to a 6 inch, they have to relearn for an 8 inch!

I do the 8 inch for LIC, and only for the first step section of BM2. I lower down to 6 for the blasts in BM2, because I would pass out if I didn't. I have discovered A-steps and Turn-Steps are really hard for me on an 8 inch. I have to really hustle to keep up!

Sally

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.