Lasik eye surgery in one eye?

mtnmom99

Cathlete
I'm debating on getting Lasik done and have been to an initial screening. I'm near-sighted and have been told that doing Lasik on both eyes would cause me to lose my ability to see things close. I currently have no problems reading or threading needles, etc.

Their recommendation is to do Lasik on one eye. Therefore, I would have one eye for reading, and the other eye for distance.

Has anyone here had this done or know of someone who has? It just seems weird to me, maybe causing headaches or other problems I haven't thought of. The person at the doctor's office said that it does take a week or two for your mind to adjust to it, but then you're fine.

I'd love to hear from someone who doesn't have a monetary stake it this before I make my decision!

Diane

My mother had this exact procedure done, the same day I had both of my eyes done. My mom's eyes were not nearly as bad as mine, and hers had the deterioration that naturally comes with aging. I don't remember her ever saying she had problems with headaches or anything. She was apprehensive about it too, but in the end was completely satisfied. It's been a few years ago, but I don't remember her feeling negative about the experience. I was actually the one with complications (severe dry eye). And even that worked out okay after a while.

I haven't heard of this. I had LASIK done in both eyes in June of 2004 and still have 20/20 vision. I am 44 1/2 years old and am starting to need reading glasses to see close things. My doctor told me to use my own focusing abilities as long as I could and not give in the reading glasses. I do occasionally need them to see fine print, etc. like the ingredient on a vitamin bottle, etc. My doctor told me this condition is caused by hardening of the lens that comes with aging and we all succumb to it, usually beginning in our 40's. I love not having to wear glasses on a daily basis and would do LASIK again in a heartbeat. I had zero problems and a the procedure and recovery were a snap for me.

HTH:)

Hi Diane! I work in an optician's office and we work with a local Lasik center. What we usually recommend for people who want to attempt monovision, is to get fitted with contact lenses first to see if it is something you can adapt to. So you will be fitted with one contact lens for near and one contact lens for far.

Monovision has a low success rate. I tried monovision and I just couldn't get used to it. I HIGHLY recommend you try the contact lenses before making any permanent decisions.

Hope that helps!

A close friend of my mother had it down and it does not affect her badly at all. I think it depends on the person, and how adaptable they are. I know a few people that tried contacts once and dont' want them again because they can't get them in, it only takes me a second to pop them in. You may very well want to try the suggestion about the contacts, although I think given enough time the body usually adapts to most things.
http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/img/bar08/slider-scale/lb/0/81/26/.png[/img][/url]

I had lasik surgery done in this manner, only one eye was done for far away and one for close up as I was starting to not be able to thread a needle, but could still read and everything else. When I wore contacts, one contact was for closeup and the other for far away, so having lasik done in the same way took no adjustment for me. When I did start wearing contacts that way, it did take me about a month to get used to.

I'm very pleased with my lasik surgery. It's been almost 2 years and my vision is great.

Getting contacts for monovision is a good idea. It really does take some getting used to, but I think it's great. I'll never have to wear glasses, at least for a long time, for reading.

Margaret

I don't see how that could work without giving someone a headache. When I wear an older pair of glasses (with an older perscription), it's kind of like being able to see far in one eye and close in the other, and it's not a good experience.

Kathryn,
It may cause a headache or two the first couple of days, but you adapt and it doesn't bother you anymore. For example on the road trip I left my glasses in the hotel room I stayed in. Of course, I called to try to retrieve them and of course they hadn't found anything in the room. (Rolling eyes here) Anyway, I had to wear my old prescription glasses from 2 years ago because insurance only covers a full pair every two years. The first couple of times was horrid wearing them, but by the second week it was like walking around normal. The mind has a beautiful way of adapting to the torture we put it through!;-)

http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/img/bar08/slider-scale/lb/0/81/26/.png[/img][/url]

My dad hasn't had Lasik, but he does the same thing with his eyeglasses and contacts. One for long, one for short. He golfs a lot and does a lot of computer work, and I've seen him wearing reading glasses sometimes too.

As I understand this, it's a common solution.

Good luck with your decision!!! (Lasik scares me anyway...I'm so amazed at the brave souls and congratulate them on taking that step to make their lives easier!)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.

Back