Kickmax Equipment question

kat31

Cathlete
Does anyone else use the weighted gloves(?) that Cathe and crew use in Kickmax or KPC and where did you get them? Do they make your hands sweat alot. I like the glove feel, it seems I keep my wrists straight when I punch but my lifting gloves make my hands sweat alot so I am looking into the proper gloves. Any suggestions?

Cathe and crew are just using hand wraps to keep their wrists in proper alignment. Some people here do use weighted gloves but I wonder about joint strain on the shoulders and elbows.

I never thought about the joint strain, but I would think with the fast movement of those punches you could easily strain your shoulders or irritate your elbow joints. I was thinking of getting them because Janis Saffel uses them in her kickboxing videos, but your point gave me some pause. My elbows get sore from time to time, so maybe I'll skip them.

I use weighted gloves. I use them during her punching/kick combos at the end of KPC and during her punching drills of Cardio Kicks so I don't use them the entire time. In the beginning I felt some shoulder strain, but as my shoulders have gotten stronger, I no longer have any discomfort. Susan

I use them too. Usually take them off maybe 3/4 through the workout & yes, they do make your hands sweat. :p

I have no problem with shoulder strength or straining my elbows but I'll tell you where I really feel it is in my lats. I try to punch as hard as I can, & adding the weighted gloves make it a really a great back workout.

I have 1 lb. weighted gloves that I wear for (some parts of) KPC and Cardio Kicks, but I don't wear them for Kickmax. For some reason, I feel like I get a better workout with Kickmax when I don't wear my gloves.

I don't have weighted gloves, but I took out a couple of bars from my ankle weights and held on to those during KPC - haven't tried it yet on Kick Max. I have elbow problems right now, and holding those weights defintely added strain. However, I did note that simply holding something in my hands helped me to maintain proper punching form. Oh, and I noticed a little more soreness in the lats - not as much as expected, because I had to reduce the power of my punch, due to the elbow problem.

Hello!

I don't use any gloves at all for Kickmax, but I do hold 2-3lb dumbells in my hands from right after the warm-up until the "blasts" are done. Some people prefer not to do this because of possible neck strain, but I find that I just don't focus on my form enough when I am not using weights. When I use the dumbells, I am much more powerful and precise with my punches than I am without them. Without any resistance, I sometimes lose focus on the arms and don't get as good a workout.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.