kettlebell workouts? Cathe's kettlebells?

amybajamy

Cathlete
So, I'm starting to look into kettlebells. I did a search in open discussion for workouts and found some good info. I'm wondering about the AOS turorial DVD. It's quite expensive and I'm wondering if it's something you can do for a long time or is it a workout that you do a couple of times and then you're wanting something more. Is there a cheaper beginner DVD that's good? I've checked out AOS, Lauren Brooks, and Iron Core. Are there other good ones? What are your favorites? It looks like you can work all body parts with kettlebells. Are most of the DVDs focused on the entire body or are some more body part specific?

Also does anyone have Cathe's 2 in 1 med ball/kettlebell? What do you think of them?

One more question. I know everybody is different, but is there a typical weight to start with?

Thanks for all your help!

Your questions:

I have five Art of Strength videos, plus Lauren Brooks. I do the AOS videos often -- I really enjoy them. I started with the Tutorial video, but quickly progressed to Providence, then on from there. You can find lots of form pointers and advice on their website.

I know they're expensive, but I use them so much that I feel it is worth it. I have purchased a couple of others that I didn't enjoy and don't use.

Regarding Cathe's ball: I have it (with the handle) and don't think it's a good substitute for a kettlebell. It is very large, but also not heavy enough. My lightest kettlebell is 15 lbs., but I use the heavier ones much more (up to 35 lbs.) I wouldn't buy the ball only to use as a kettlebell.

If you're looking for a sale, Perform Better has one going on right now, including kettlebells. Also, you can get them from Overstock. Shipping is often very expensive with kettlebells (because of the weight), so Overstock's $2.95 (or sometimes free) shipping really helps.

I hope I answered your questions. PM me if you have any other questions.

I don't have the AOS Clinic dvd but from my understanding it also has a couple of workouts on it as well.

I have 3 of the AOS workouts plus The Kettlebell Goddess Workout and The Extreme Kettlebell Cardio Workout (from Keith Weber) that you can find on Dragon's Door.

Most women start at 15 or 20 pounds. I have lighter bells for double arm moves and over the head moves and heavier bells for swings.

I would not use Cathe's med/kettlebell in these workouts. As the previous poster started they are not heavy enough.

I have been using kettlebells since 2006 and love them. You can use them in various ways and get a great strength and cardio workout all at once. I don't use dvds all that much anymore. I either make up my own kettlebell workouts or find workouts on the internet.

I agree with all of the DVD recommendations. I'll just add that though these DVD's aren't cheap, they are totally worth it...I think there's definitely a "you get what you pay for" element here. Another good resource is the book, Enter the Kettlebell.

I started with 8kg (18lb) and 12kg (26lb) kettlebells and pretty quickly moved up to 16kg (35lbs) for swings. I've had good luck buying from Perform Better and Muscle Driver USA, though the handles on the Muscle Driver KBs are a little bigger and not everyone likes that.

I agree with all of the DVD recommendations. I'll just add that though these DVD's aren't cheap, they are totally worth it...I think there's definitely a "you get what you pay for" element here. Another good resource is the book, Enter the Kettlebell.

I started with 8kg (18lb) and 12kg (26lb) kettlebells and pretty quickly moved up to 16kg (35lbs) for swings. I've had good luck buying from Perform Better and Muscle Driver USA, though the handles on the Muscle Driver KBs are a little bigger and not everyone likes that.

If I like thicker handles on my dumbells do you think I would like a thicker handle on a kettlebell?

If I like thicker handles on my dumbells do you think I would like a thicker handle on a kettlebell?

That's a good question. You might, but it's a very individual thing. My 16kg KB is the Muscle Driver one, I find that the bigger handle at the higher weight is actually a little kinder to my grip...the greater surface area doesn't bother my callouses (if that makes sense).

Is there a Dick's Sporting Goods nearby where you can try one out?

Thanks for the replies everyone! Thanks especially for the weight recommendations, I had no idea where to start. There is a Dick's sporting goods by me, so I'll go there and check out the kettlebells. I'm really excited to do a kettlebell workout, I just have to decide which DVDs to get and of course go buy a kettlebell. I think I'll buy one to start with and get an 18 or 20 lb.

I'm still not sure if I need to buy a beginner DVD to start with. Has anyone used the ironcore DVDs? They are cheaper and while I don't mind spending the money on DVDs (I'll probably buy the AOS ones), I don't want to spend alot of money on a beginner DVD just to use it a few times. I don't want to get hurt either though!

Amy - There are a number of short free videos online that you can watch to get some idea about form. Here are a few:

AOS Minute of Strength (Anthony has a bunch here): http://www.artofstrength.com/videos/minute-of-strength-2008-videos.aspx

Jeff Martone lecture snippets from Crossfit (a bunch here too): http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/excercise.html#KBs

I never got a purely instructional DVD (just went straight to AOS Providence), but did, and still do, spend a fair amount of time watching stuff like these.

ETA: I don't have it, but I think AOS's The Kettlebell Way is exactly the same workout as Providence, but in it Anthony gives pointers while Beth Chamberlain does the workout.

I'm still not sure if I need to buy a beginner DVD to start with. Has anyone used the ironcore DVDs? They are cheaper and while I don't mind spending the money on DVDs (I'll probably buy the AOS ones), I don't want to spend alot of money on a beginner DVD just to use it a few times. I don't want to get hurt either though!

The Kettlebell Clinic set (it is two DVDs) also has a workout on it. I wanted to clarify that even though Providence was my first workout, it's far from being beginner. Many of the AOS DVDs are programmable, so you can shorten your rest times, do more rounds, etc. Providence is still very challenging -- and as you progress, you use heavier weights. The premixes and options give you more than one single workout, so you can mix it up and make it harder.

I should mention that Santa Monica comes with an optional ropes workout (that can be integrated into the workout). I like the ropes for additional cardio work without impact.

I admire Lioness doing her own workouts. I think I need somebody to push me to work just that much harder than I might on my own!

Good luck!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.