Kettlebell Workout recommendations

Debinmi

Cathlete
Hey Cathletes,

I have 2 kettlebells coming after Prime Days. :)

What YouTube instructors do you use or recommend for a KB beginner?

Or a DVD recommendation?

Cathe has some moves that look like a KB could be substituted ... which Cathe workouts do you sub a KB? Afterburn comes to mind.

Thanks.

I have 2 kettlebells coming after Prime Days. :)
Hey, I just wanted to also mention that if you really get into using kettlebells, you might want
to look at getting a pair of the kettlebell wrist wraps/protection to help with kettlebell(s)
knocking against your wrists in certain moves. The other day I happened to think that I had
a pair of them (if I didn't already "toss" them) from years ago that came with a Kettlenetics
kit that I had purchased that had a couple kettlebells, dvds, and these puffy-like wrist
things that you pull on (kind of a terry-cloth material) to use for that reason..I looked for them
but couldn't find them.....I was just looking on Amazon at what they have and thought, go
look again....you didn't toss them! :). Aha, I found them ! :) They are tight on your wrists,
but not too tight and I kept them out, I'm gonna use them. Just a thought.......:)

Yup, they help with the heavy weights. I'll probably use the for both STS's, & probably P30, RWH, S&H, maybe Xtrain. Not for endurance workouts tho.

Hey, Do you use KB for weight workouts? I'm planning on using them as substitutes swings for burpees & for metabolic workouts.

Well, I'm exhausted! Order came, yay! and I've been a busy bee. First, trying the pink
hooks. and yep, I do believe they're keepers.....I'm leaving those wrist straps looped thru
somewhat, making it easier and quicker on, just tighten. Glad I got the pink, because I
almost don't have the room to draw real tight, but tight enough. Tried with pullup/chinups
and they work well, better with the vertical pullups/chinups like she does in this series,
than the horizontal, but I'm gonna practice those.......I could tell a difference that I didn't
have as much wrist/hand pull with them. Then I hopped on my rower and holy moly, I was
pulling that handle like "super woman" ! Like I mentioned before, on the circuit workouts
I do, on & off the rower, I don't think I'll use for that...but for just rowing for longer periods
of times, I think I will. Then on to the Jeteca door strap, like I thought, I was stumped
with how to get that ratchet to tighten around the door, had to hop on Amazon again
to watch the video, stopping & rewinding .....but it finally made sense and got that done.
It does give me 2 more anchor points. Then I had to take the one that was on that door
and put it downstairs on another door. Whew........

Yes, I do kettlebell "strength" workouts.......the 10 min. Kettlebell arms one I mentioned
is all strength moves, no swings in it, as far as I can remember. That Workout with
Roxanne (YouTube) has quite a few of only strength moves or with minimal swings.
Yes, Kettlebell swings are a top alternative for burpees and I have done that many
times. You can kind of watch their tempo doing the burpees and adjust your swings
to that tempo. I think alot of times I can get 2 swings in to one burpee, just depends
on how fast the burpees are done.

Last edited:
I hope it’s ok to jump in with my recommendations. I have a kettlebells from 4 pounds to 30 pounds. (I have a 35 pounder that’s more or less a door stop. :oops: ) I pull it out for lat rows on occasion.

I only use DVDs and they aren’t advanced. My absolute favorite is Kettlebell Boomers by Andrea Du Cane. It has a 45 minute strength and a 46 minute Cardio workout.

Second Favorite is Shut Up and Train by Lauren Brooks. 12-16 minute sessions - I think 6 or 7 of them.

Third is Kettlenetics, with which I use the light bells. The form is totally different than traditional KBs. It’s dance-like and circular. Definitely not for everyone.

I use them as stack/add-on workouts. Usually only a week at a time. I looked up my last micro-rotation using them. It wasn’t a Cathe Rotation. The SADSAE & Rotator Cuff Reset are just movements I put together to maintain realignment I’ve achieved in my left hip and right shoulder/collarbone.

2 S - Restorative - P90X2 Recovery and Mobility 60m
3 M - Total Body: P90 Sculpt A 30m, Kettlebell Boomer Strength 46m, Cadillac Rotator Cuff Reset 5m
4 T - Cardio: P90 Sweat A + Abs 38m, Kettlebell Boomer Cardio 47m
5 W - Total Body: P90 Sculpt A 30m, Kettlenetics form review, squats, dead lifts, swings, etc. 22m, SADSAE + Rotator Cuff Realign 15m
6 Th - Cardio: P90 Sweat A 30m, Lauren Brook’s Shut Up and Train #1 17m, SADSAE 10m
7 F - Total Body: P90 Sculpt A 30m, Lauren Brook’s Shut Up and Train #2: 14m, SADSAE + Cadillac Rotator Cuff Reset 15m
8 S - P90 Saturday Special 28m, Lauren Brook’s Shut Up and Train #3: 15m, SADSAE + Cadillac Rotator Cuff Reset 15m

The SADSAE & Rotator Cuff Reset are just movements I put together to maintain realignment I’ve achieved in my left hip and right shoulder/collarbone.
Lannette, would you mind sharing what excercises you do for the shoulder rehab? I have some band excercises from PT, but am thinking it's time to add in some additional (guess I'm trying to avoid a visit to PT & another co-pay). ;)

This is the Cadillac in our back Pilates/yoga room. Hopefully this works. You can see the light springs connected to each side. You could alternatively set up Cathe’s door attachment at the correct height and use her light tubing or band. This isn’t strength. It’s light resistance to remind my rotator cuff muscles to correctly contract and the muscles that were part of my poor shoulder patterning to stay quiet.

IMG_2048.jpegIMG_2048.jpeg

This is the Cadillac in our back Pilates/yoga room. Hopefully this works. You can see the light springs connected to each side. You could alternatively set up Cathe’s door attachment at the correct height and use her light tubing or band. This isn’t strength. It’s light resistance to remind my rotator cuff muscles to correctly contract and the muscles that were part of my poor shoulder patterning to stay quiet.

View attachment 8580View attachment 8580
Wow ... how cool is that!

I never really got into Pilates- I think because I found it so hard! :rolleyes:

Here are links to similar exercises.

Band exercises

Ball exercises

I change these exercises into spring exercises. Editing to say I do my exercises standing.
Thanks!:)

I think I'll be adding these to my PT list of excercises. I had shoulder repair surgery almost 15 years ago - I wish now that I had kept the homework exercise sheets from the PT. I do remember many of them tho ..

Interesting use of the balls. I'll substitute 1# weights.

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.