KCM 30 minutes kickbox--SO disappointed!

LauraMax

Cathlete
I bought this b/c so many people have raved about her here & I'm really desperate for some new cardio, but I feel like I just flushed $20+ down the toilet. I don't know why Collage tags this as intermediate/advanced. It should be beginner/intermediate. I barely broke a sweat. Plus the workouts are just plain boring. And her form--OMG! All her talk about keeping good form, hers is mediocre at best! Her kicks are awful--they're almost straight-legged, & her punches have no power at all behind them. Bad form has never really bothered me in the past b/c I can just focus on my own, but I think the fact that she kept mentioning it annoyed me since hers was so poor. I wonder if she's ever even had any formal KB or martial arts training? It appears not. :confused:

Maybe I'm hyper-critical b/c I'm so used to Cathe's & Tracey's grace, amazing form & high intensity. I'm def. giving this one away, & won't waste anymore money on KCM's DVDs. :p

That's funny because I HATED Tracey's newest kickboxing. I bought it after all the reviews on here. It was so lame. I love KCM's and get a way better workout and the abs section IMO was really good.

Laura

I don't have a lot of KCM and use her for primarily weight workouts, but I would agree with Laura - don't like Tracey.

For form - I like Janis Saffell, Ilaria
For intensity/blasts - I like Cathe
For fun/energy - I like Chalene
For interesting moves/music - I like Amy

Is that KCM's "30 minutes to Kickboxing"? I really like that one for a short workout. Her form may not be perfect, but I've seen much worse. I recently got her 30 minute Circuit Burn, and it's very good IMO. Works for me!

That's funny because I HATED Tracey's newest kickboxing. I bought it after all the reviews on here. It was so lame. I love KCM's and get a way better workout and the abs section IMO was really good.

Laura

Really? Wow! CKBC has my HR in the 170s within the 1st 10 minutes of the w/o. Same with SZ. In fact, she's probably my favorite home DVD KB instructor. My HR w/KCM's never made it over 160. And that was with me modifying for higher impact. :(

Amy's stuff is OK, great for intensity & creativity, but I find it to be more hi/lo with KB moves than an actual KB workout.

video return

HI Laura,
If you bought the dvd through Collage they have a "no reason" return policy. You should be able to get your money back

karen

What I hate about the KCM Kickboxing workout is the lack of cueing! I don't use it often enough to memorize the combinations and don't want to do the tutorial each time. I've used it maybe 3 times since I bought it, and have never even done the second workout since I was so frustrated with the first workout.

I found this DVD (the KCM 30 min KB) at my library. I am borrowing for three weeks to see if I like it enough to buy. See if your library has exercise DVD's because this is a great way to try before you buy.

I love all three, Kelly, Cathe and Tracey! I think Ilaria has the best form, but these ladies are more fun.

Sorry to hear you did not like the workout Laura.

Hi Laura,

Sorry to hear you did care for KCM's 30 Min to Fitness Kickboxing. I have all of her 30 Min to Fitness series and like them. No, her kickboxing is not as intense as Cathe's KPC, or KM, but its fun and I like that its a short workout so I can add that on to whatever workout I have planned if I want to boost the calorie burn. I just got her two new workouts 30 Min to Fitness Circuit Burn and LIFT workouts. They are both really awesome I think they are the best yet she's done. I'm becoming addicted to the Circuit Burn loving workouts and premixes there and the shadow boxing. Lift is awesome as well you can do either Olympic Lifting or Power sculpting and premixes. I recommend both Circuit Burn and LIFT, check them out at collage video or you tube.

Take care;)

Nora

Hi Laura,

Sorry to hear you did care for KCM's 30 Min to Fitness Kickboxing. I have all of her 30 Min to Fitness series and like them. No, her kickboxing is not as intense as Cathe's KPC, or KM, but its fun and I like that its a short workout so I can add that on to whatever workout I have planned if I want to boost the calorie burn. I just got her two new workouts 30 Min to Fitness Circuit Burn and LIFT workouts. They are both really awesome I think they are the best yet she's done. I'm becoming addicted to the Circuit Burn loving workouts and premixes there and the shadow boxing. Lift is awesome as well you can do either Olympic Lifting or Power sculpting and premixes. I recommend both Circuit Burn and LIFT, check them out at collage video or you tube.

Take care;)

Nora

I actually did both 30 min workouts--she has a premix for that. The cal burn was around 350 (actually popped in SZ for an extra 10 minutes & 100 cals :cool:). I did Tracey's KBSF this morning, the cal burn was around 550. I feel much better today LOL.

I think

I think that Ilaria' PowerStrike 5 is awful, and I would love to sell it. I had it on for fifteen minutes. and then I had to put KPC on.

There are way too many Traceys and Tracys and Lauras in this thread. I can't keep track of everyone! Which Tracys are y'all referring to?

I don't have a lot of KCM and use her for primarily weight workouts, but I would agree with Laura - don't like Tracey.

For form - I like Janis Saffell, Ilaria
For intensity/blasts - I like Cathe
For fun/energy - I like Chalene
For interesting moves/music - I like Amy

Which Laura are you agreeing with?

Really? Wow! CKBC has my HR in the 170s within the 1st 10 minutes of the w/o. Same with SZ. In fact, she's probably my favorite home DVD KB instructor. My HR w/KCM's never made it over 160. And that was with me modifying for higher impact. :(

Amy's stuff is OK, great for intensity & creativity, but I find it to be more hi/lo with KB moves than an actual KB workout.

CKBC?
SZ?
Amy?

Enough with the acronyms and lack of last names already! :D

KCM

That is one of my favorites! Did you use the weighted gloves? It took me a few times to get the routines down, but now that I have I'm glad I stuck it out. I have quite a few of her 30 minutes to fitness DVDs and love them all. They get alot accomplished in 30 minutes! Sometimes I just don't have the time for a Cathe workout.

CKBC?
SZ?
Amy?

Enough with the acronyms and lack of last names already! :D

Amy is Amy Bento and she has a few kickbox DVDs out (nrgfitness.net). She's a little wild, has a high cardio component to her kickbox and her form is questionable according to some Cathletes. She gives a good cardio workout though.

Tracy/Tracey is Tracey Staehle found at fitbytracey.com. She has two good kickbox DVDs, either SZ which is Strike Zone or CKBC, Cardio Kickbox Challenge, her newest kickbox release, both available on her website. CKBC is tougher and lead by Joseph someone, a good workout. This is the one Laura likes best!

Kelly Coffey-Meyer's workouts are different. She's tough but does not wipe the floor with you, as Cathe often does. You get in, do your workout and have energy left to get through the rest of your day. Kelly understands time limitations and her DVDs feature 2 30 min workouts that get the job done. Yes, you can double up if you have the time. She recently stated on her website that at age 47, she is interested in maintaining her body, not breaking it down. I agree with that. Her style is not Cathe's style and her philosophy is not Cathe's either. I respect that, personally, and I find that there is room for both styles in my fitness program because life often gets in the way of fitness programs, injuries happen, time gets crunched, energy levels ebb and flow and at age 46, I am forced to listen to what my body tells me: that it can do a whole heck of a lot, but not every day and not always to the nose-bleed intensity of youth.

Personally, I find much to admire in Kelly's workout library, she is fresh, professional, offers a huge variety of moves in nearly every workout, she's a great boredom buster and she lives by what she preaches. She's in fantastic shape, on 4 workouts per week. I am a firm believer that you do not need to work out for hours and hours every day and that there are more things to do in life, other than fitness. I am more interested in avoiding injury, and in what a workout can do for me physically and mentally, rather than calculating calorie burn.

One more thing: Kelly works hard to not repeat herself in every workout she produces. A lot of variety.

Clare

Last edited:
Interestingly enough, I just ordered a bunch of Kelly Coffey Meyer's 30 minute workouts (that being all I have time for anymore), and did one for the first time a few minutes ago. Here's my review:

I did Power Sculpt and it was fast and actually kind of fun, although at times I was a bit concerned about safety as it moves fast and compound moves can be dangerous when you lose your balance- more likely to injure yourself. I like the curtsy lunges (so easy) and renegades. I kept the weights light, no more than 15lb DBs. It really isn't traditional weight lifting at all. It's quite a unique workout; lots of swinging of the dumbbells, using them almost as ballast to make your body have to react to control the movement rather than as dumbbells. Lots of incidental abs emphasis. Do I feel like I really could build some strength doing this workout? Absolutely not. No way will I have DOMS, except maybe in my abs. But I sweat a lot. I liked her personality, pretty straight forward cuing, not a lot of idle chatter, but not boring either. No fluff. I wouldn't do it as my only type of workout, but I will definitely pull it out when I just don't want to do something all that hard on a particular day.

Kelly Coffey-Meyer's workouts are different. She's tough but does not wipe the floor with you, as Cathe often does. You get in, do your workout and have energy left to get through the rest of your day. Kelly understands time limitations and her DVDs feature 2 30 min workouts that get the job done. Yes, you can double up if you have the time. She recently stated on her website that at age 47, she is interested in maintaining her body, not breaking it down. I agree with that. Her style is not Cathe's style and her philosophy is not Cathe's either. I respect that, personally, and I find that there is room for both styles in my fitness program because life often gets in the way of fitness programs, injuries happen, time gets crunched, energy levels ebb and flow and at age 46, I am forced to listen to what my body tells me: that it can do a whole heck of a lot, but not every day and not always to the nose-bleed intensity of youth.

Personally, I find much to admire in Kelly's workout library, she is fresh, professional, offers a huge variety of moves in nearly every workout, she's a great boredom buster and she lives by what she preaches. She's in fantastic shape, on 4 workouts per week. I am a firm believer that you do not need to work out for hours and hours every day and that there are more things to do in life, other than fitness. I am more interested in avoiding injury, and in what a workout can do for me physically and mentally, rather than calculating calorie burn.

One more thing: Kelly works hard to not repeat herself in every workout she produces. A lot of variety.

Clare

I absolutely agree with everything Clare said about Kelly Coffey-Meyer. I couldn't say it better myself. I have all Kelly's 30 Minutes to Fitness DVDs and love them all :D

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.