Just weight training and one aerobic workout?

fitat49

Cathlete
Hello,

I'm trying to tone up more and wondering if doing 2 leg workouts and 3 upper body workouts with 1 aerobic workout would do that and I wouldn't gain weight with less aerobics. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks Ladies!

Are you talking about on a weekly rotation?
I think most people over 32 or so figure out that they have to do around 30 minutes of aerobic or anaerobic or a mix of a cardio type of exercise around 3-5 times per week to maintain weight/not gain. Of course we are all different, so if you do not particularly enjoy cardio or feel you don't need the heart & lung exercising, you can try different ways of getting around that. Personally, if I do not get in some cardio 6 days per week (I mostly do walking), I wouldn't sleep very well at all.
I also think that weight training schedule looks exhausting and might burn you out. It's probably better to start with something that you can stick with rather than get sick of. How are you planning to split the upper body ones?

You could always try doing a couple circuits that hit lower and upper like RWH legs and then the RWH upper body circuit with light weights; then 2 days of upper body splits, one day of low energy floor work or barre for legs that hits the smaller muscles? Then it may not be as tiring if you're just doing the heavy weights...just a thought.
Jamie

Hello,

I'm trying to tone up more and wondering if doing 2 leg workouts and 3 upper body workouts with 1 aerobic workout would do that and I wouldn't gain weight with less aerobics. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks Ladies!

Hi,

You have had good suggestions---I just would like to add as far as the scale is concern, the difference between
calorie consumption (Nutrition) and calories burnt is what would guarantee weight maintenance.

HTH

I'm middle age and need the aerobic and weights to keep fat off. I do my own rotations and change up from split routines to full body depending on my mood but have maintain my weight/size for years. I use a short hiit workout for my warm-up on upper body weight only days which really helps me keep a sweat going while weight lifting.
I'm sure other will give you ideas this is what works for me. We are each different and have different hormonal and physiological issues that affect how our body stores and shed fat and if your a women over 40 its harder IMO. The younger your are and if your a male its just easier

My rotation this past week sunday off day each week

Monday Turbo Fire Hiit 15 and Xtrain burn set back/bi
Tuesday Lower Body Blast
Wed. Xtrain Low Impact hiit warm-up floor portion and Xtrain chest,shoulder, tricep
Thur lazy that day :oops:
Friday RWH Lower Body Circuit
Saturday yoga

The previous week I did full body and metabolic stuff

STS total body
Crossfire
RWH Legs
Drill Max
power yoga
Muscle Endurance

week before that :) just to give you some ideas

RWH Lower Body Circuit
Pyramid Upper Body
Afterburn
Pyramid Lower Body
RWH Upper Body Circuit
Power yoga

Cathe's rotation all look good and will work for getting muscle and cutting fat if you watch your diet. I don't follow her rotaions cause I workout depending on my mood of what looks like fun any given day but I have a basic plan of what I"ve got to accomplish and I just pick and choose through my workout collection each day. The above was what called to me on those given days. I know crazy no plan but its works for me cause I love working out.

I do have lazy week that usually will just have 2 total body workouts that week. I love weight more than cardio.

The main thing to getting toned and loose fat is to watch what you eat. I know it sucks but that the answer. When I was in my 20's and 30's all I had to do is run and ate whatever without a thought but around 40 my body rebelled. I have to eat clean or a feel bloated and sluggish I need lots of water and veggies to feel good. I went to a work conference in florida a few weeks ago. We were served rich really tasty food from top restaurant and it made me feel like crap so by the 2nd night I went to a publix and filled my room fridge with premade salads and yogurt. I could not eat like that for a whole week.

Cafelatte - that's just the sort of rotation which sheds fat for me. I'd do that sort of thing after 3 months of lifting heavy.

For a strength-based rotation I do either a 4 day split or 3 upper body, but like Cafelatte, I add on a quick cardio session (Hiit etc), but as a finisher. On in between days I like doing metabolic stuff (lifting light weights quickly, or body weight routines).

Hello,

I think this sounds like a decent plan. I find that lifting heavy for legs gets my heart rate up. Or, if you did something like Cardio Leg Blast or Lower Body Blast or Leaner Legs and Abs you are not lifting as heavy, but you can get some cardio burn with those workouts.

I'm currently doing a rotation of 5 days weights, one long cardio and one rest day. After an upper body I have one day with a long yoga workout and two days of short HiiT type workouts. It feels really balanced and I'm not gaining any weight. I try to lift really heavy, but it's hard for me to put muscle on, I think. So, I just go to failure and call it good.

Beth

I use a short hiit workout for my warm-up on upper body weight only days which really helps me keep a sweat going while weight lifting.
That's an excellent idea. :) You don't find that your exhasted? I ask because when I do Hiit and then add on abs I cannot concentrate at all on those ab moves cause I'm spent. But I really like this idea you put forward cause it's so time efficient with sneaking in the sweaty stuff. Gonna try it tomorrow!

Thank you all for your suggestions. I love my cardio, just want to firm up my legs and butt as well as continuing doing aerobics and upper body. I'm 56 years old and have worked out for 26 years.. Unfortunately age sometimes makes a difference I guess.. thanks everyone!!

That's an excellent idea. :) You don't find that your exhasted? I ask because when I do Hiit and then add on abs I cannot concentrate at all on those ab moves cause I'm spent. But I really like this idea you put forward cause it's so time efficient with sneaking in the sweaty stuff. Gonna try it tomorrow!

I can do a 15 min hiit without being wiped but not something like afterburn. I couldn't do more without it effecting my lifting.

I know the fitness experts say cardio after weights for optimum muscle building but I'm a mesomorph and get muscle no matter the type.

I also absolutely love cirucits workutos. I do bootcamp a lot but lift heavier than cathe. I do high step training and make some of the step up's lateral which changes up how it hits the glutes.

I can do a 15 min hiit without being wiped but not something like afterburn. I couldn't do more without it effecting my lifting.

I know the fitness experts say cardio after weights for optimum muscle building but I'm a mesomorph and get muscle no matter the type.

I also absolutely love cirucits workutos. I do bootcamp a lot but lift heavier than cathe. I do high step training and make some of the step up's lateral which changes up how it hits the glutes.

I agree ;);)
It is proven that each individual has his/her own recovery ability. A natural ability but it can be
built up to some degree too.:)

@Cafelattee ,

Pyramid lower body---Do you step up with barbell or dumbbell?:)
:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.