Just My Annual Sharing - Clean for 23 Years!!

lorajeanne

Cathlete
Today's my clean date.........I'm a recovering drug addict! Clean (but not so serene ....HA) for 23 years today. I'm a pretty much a different person these days in a lot of ways.....but the same in a lot of ways. Does life ever get any easier for us though? I sometimes get sick of feeling things so intensely and being so freakin' sensitive. Wish I could be more laid back.....but that hasn't happened. I've been a hyper dog most of my clean life....especially after giving up cigarretes. Thank God for exercise. It helps me stay sane and drug free.

Just rambling today.........

Congrats on 23 clean years -- that is just fabulous! After all that you'd think giving up smokes would be easier but I KNOW that it isn't. so congrats on being an ex-smoker, too!

Today's my clean date.........I'm a recovering drug addict! Clean (but not so serene ....HA) for 23 years today. I'm a pretty much a different person these days in a lot of ways.....but the same in a lot of ways. Does life ever get any easier for us though? I sometimes get sick of feeling things so intensely and being so freakin' sensitive. Wish I could be more laid back.....but that hasn't happened. I've been a hyper dog most of my clean life....especially after giving up cigarretes. Thank God for exercise. It helps me stay sane and drug free.

Just rambling today.........

LORAJEANNE, YOU RAWK!!!!! You've earned the right to ramble as much as you want!

Congratulations from one who, Good Lord willin' and the river don't rise, will be posting exactly the same thing come July!

Love always,

A-Jock

Wonderful! Every day should be a celebration of your success and your strength! Looking forward to your next anniversary!

Congratulations!!! That is really amazing and you should be very proud of what you have accomplished. Thank you for sharing.

First off, CONGRATS to your 23 years. That is a huge accomplishment. My mom is a recovering alcoholic and she has been sober for 13 years. I'm sure your family is so proud of you. Currently my family has been going through some tough times with my brother. He is a drug addict (oxycotin) and alcoholic. He just did his first stay in a detox center and has been out now for a week. He hasn't gone back to drugs yet but he is already drinking as he doesn't think he has a problem with alcohol yet and hasn't reached his bottom. I know that he has to figure this out on his own and I can only be there to support him when he needs it He won't go to any meetings (NA or AA) that the rehab suggested. He still thinks he can get through it on his own. Sorry to vent this out but i know you can relate to some of what i'm saying. I hope my brother will have the success that you have someday. Keep up the good work!

First off, CONGRATS to your 23 years. That is a huge accomplishment. My mom is a recovering alcoholic and she has been sober for 13 years. I'm sure your family is so proud of you. Currently my family has been going through some tough times with my brother. He is a drug addict (oxycotin) and alcoholic. He just did his first stay in a detox center and has been out now for a week. He hasn't gone back to drugs yet but he is already drinking as he doesn't think he has a problem with alcohol yet and hasn't reached his bottom. I know that he has to figure this out on his own and I can only be there to support him when he needs it He won't go to any meetings (NA or AA) that the rehab suggested. He still thinks he can get through it on his own. Sorry to vent this out but i know you can relate to some of what i'm saying. I hope my brother will have the success that you have someday. Keep up the good work!

Kariev - my heart goes out to you and your family. It is a true shame, but sadly, you are correct in saying that you can't do anything.....except maybe tough love! I know I've been to hell and back and it took an AWFUL lot for me to hit a bottom, including jail, facing prison time, being court ordered out of town, etc. I am so sorry you are hurting. I really don't know what to say to comfort you.....but my heart hurts tremendously for the suffering addict and their family. I will pray for you. Hang in there.

ETA: forgot to mention - when i first got out of rehab - I was court ordered to a halfway house...but they would not take me cuz when they asked if I had a problem with alcohol, I said no......they turned me away......but by the Grace of God, I came to realize I couldn't drink either.

Last edited:
Wow! You did something amazing.....I am proud of you! Alcoholism/drug abuse holds on very tightly, it is hard to let it go. It is a change in brain chemistry really.....no wonder.

Keep enjoying every sober day you have!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.