Just found out I'm pregnant

ksbehning

I recently found out I'm pregnant and would like to continue working out. Up to this time I had been running 2 - 3 days a week and doing a mix of Cathe workouts - I have all of them and have just been using whatever workout sounded appealing that day. I'd like to try modifying some of Cathe's workouts to a lower intensity and shorter duration (can't believe how tired I am all the time). Can anyone suggest workouts that lent themselves easily to modifying for pregnancy? I want to be able to do the workout pretty much as is, just taking out the jumps and intensity but still doing the moves, so I can limit the amount of time I might have to sub walking or marching in place. I hope that made sense. Anyway, any help other mom's out there can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Hello and congratulations:) Before I became pregnant, I was doing Christi Taylor and Cathe cardio workouts 4-5 times a week plus weights twice a week. So I may not have been as active as you are - but I'll give you an idea of what I've done (I am currently 26 weeks along). I stick with Cathe's low impact workouts because I have found that my lower stomach muscles hurt if I do much bouncing around - bothers me the most if I walk strangely enough. I also was so sick and tired for the first 2 months that I basically didn't do anything at all! That said, I have eased back in and like her Step Fusion, Low Impact Step and Basic Step - these modify easily for pregnancy. These are great because you have one foot on the ground at all times but you still feel like you're getting a workout as I am just trying to maintain some fitness. My heart rate also seemed to go up a lot faster in early pregnancy - so I did have to take it down a notch. You'll see what works best for you, someone posted some advice by Cathe on the moms-to-be checkin last week b/c I wasn't sure about pushups. So, you may want to take a look at that. I found it helpful:)
Everyone's body and tolerance level is different, it is sort of like feeling your way through things at the moment. I am sure others here will have good suggestions also for you to take on board. Congrats again on your news:)

Stardust - Thanks for the suggestions. Those were at the top of my list - I remember enjoying them when I started my Cathe workouts and figured they'd probably fit well now since my energy level is nill. I also dug out some dance aerobic videos that I had stuck away once I discovered Cathe because they just didn't seem to get my heart rate up - I have a feeling they will now.

Again, thanks for the suggestions, and good luck to you!

Congratulations! I used the CTX series a lot when I was pregnant a couple of years ago and found it easy to modify the routines that had intervals and higher impact. The Step & Interval routine I found very easy to take the jumping/high impact out of the interval portion and just do the moves low impact. Cathe's beginner/intermediate and low impact dvd's weren't out yet but if I get pregnant again I will be using those. Also, a couple of her earlier step workouts were pretty easy to modify. At the time I only had vhs but now with the dvd's it should be even easier to modify and shorten the workouts to how you are feeling that day. Also, I dug out some older videos that I rarely used but worked well during pregnancy (stuff from the '90s by Gin Miller, Kari Anderson, Donna Richardson). Hope this helps. Enjoy your pregnancy! :)

Congrats. My favorites when pregnant were cathe's wedding tape, body fusion and basic step, rythymic step and many of cathe's older workouts.I also did great with most of my firms and christi taylor.

CONGRATULATIONS! HOW HAPPY AND EXCITED YOU MUST FEEL! Actually, I was thinking that I could have asked this question word for word! I just found out that I am pregnant! This will be #2 for me, and I actually have my 1st doctor appt today...I was reading that you should keep your routine the same, but modify as you and the baby grow. Also should watch that your heart rate doesn't get too high, since your heart rate is already elevated due to the growing baby inside you! But I was digging out my old videos the other day wondering what to do as I grow...I think I will do any Firm videos, KAthy SMith, and just try to do Cathe but no impact and lots of breaks!

Congrats and good luck!

Connie

Congrats! I also could say the same thing - I just found out I am pregnant yesterday!!!!!

My fitness level is decent but I was trying to lose weight and had some success in the past couple months - 20 pounds and 3 sizes. I wanted to move my workouts to more strength based to tone up my legs and arms - is that something I can still do? Still want cardio - cathe, kickboxing - but will go at my pace I guess. Thngs have changed in my mindsetover the past 48 hours! :)

What is everyone's thought about abdominals?

Thanks so much for the feedback and CONGRATS AGAIN!!!!!!

Lisa (woodie)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.