Just a comment about music

I have to agree that I love the music in the intensity series. For example, in Imax 2, I'm just starting to feel exhausted as we get to blast 8 (or is it 9?) and the pina colada song comes on, and I actually can feel my dancier self put in the extra energy and smile to the end.

In 4 DS, there was one vocal song in low impact step and high impact step, respectively, that really got me going. (I especially love the song that started low impact step.)

I have to agree with those who said they love a good fun beat for cardio. I agree. BTW, I loved the Elvis remake in Cardio and Weights!

Have a great day!
Dawn

I loved the song right before the Elvis remake in Muscle Endurance! I love most of the music in DrillMax, especially that one that plays when you are sitting on the ball doing hammer curls, "one, two, three"...perfect!

I prefer dance music/house music when I am doing cardio, the beats get me goin'!:)

And I love rock when lifting, growly voices get me feeling all strong.:)

Oh, and that song Cathe comments about in Legs and Glutes, great tune!

OMG! I think I know the workout you are talking about! It is that wretched music in "Step Works" --

Of all of the music in all of Cathe's videos (and I think I've done them all except the ones when she was with Greg Twombly), I find that Chipmunk music to be very disturbing.

I avoid that workout at all costs!

And the clincher: I was once a guest instructor for a Public Service Television fitness show and the music was that Chipmunks junk! :eek:

I'll add that I really like the top 40ish songs in Step Blast and Step Jump and Pump, too. They make me feel energized.

Someone already said this but... music is such a matter of taste. I REALLY LOVED the music in 4DS! It was different and unique. And I don't like Brick House or Jesse's Girl. Oh well!

Guess we'll see, huh?

I love the music in 4DS, too. It's PERFECT.

I like the music in the Butts & Guts group of workouts, too. (What is the official name of that series?)

I can't say what music I like or dislike in any of Cathe's videos. There are certain workouts of hers that as soon as I put it in and hear the music I get all pumped up but I couldn't say which ones. Guess I love them all!!! But, since I have been doing 4DS the past few weeks I have to say I really enjoy the music. I love the music in the Kickbox workout and the Bootcamp. very fun and motivating. I haven't done the step workouts enough to remember the music. Anyway, I'm just saying that music is not that important to me that i would avoid a great workout or skip portions of it to avoid music. that just cracks me up! Maybe I just haven't come across any music in her videos that I can't stand enough to do that. Oh well. Just my 2 cents.
T.
:)

>I love the music in 4DS, too. It's PERFECT.
>
>I like the music in the Butts & Guts group of workouts, too.
>(What is the official name of that series?)

I have always wondered the name of that series too!! Does it have a name????

I think it is the best music - BM2, DM, B & G.

Clarissa :)

>Yeah, Low Max, Imax 2 and Supersets have the best music of
>any Cathe dvd.
>
>Clare

Funny you should mention the exact 3 workouts I had in mind, Clare. I'm with you!

While I really like some of the music in 4DS (the asian-inspired tune in HIS, the "on the dance floor" song in the same workout), I found that on Kickbox to be rather hard to tolerate: not necessarily because of the music itself, but because it was repeated so much (and some repeated from the 'unnamed series.') I really think I'd mind it less if the song went on longer first time around, never to return, than to have it repeated several times during the workout. (It just seemed like someone 'ran out of music' and was trying to fill the gaps!)

I agree that musical tastes are rather objective, and you can't please everyone, which is why variety (and lack of repetition--repetition might be fine if someone LOVES a song, but hearing a song you're not too hot about repeated is, as someone said, 'like fingernails on a chalkboard').

I love the music in Step Blast, It really motivates me to give it my all. I love the music in the first cardio of LIC. I really like "ol school".

I dont care too much for techno music but can tolerate it.

Carmen

>I love the music in Step Blast, It really motivates me to
>give it my all. I love the music in the first cardio of LIC.
>I really like "ol school".
>
>I dont care too much for techno music but can tolerate it.
>
>
>
>Carmen
That's funny, because I just did Step Blast today for the 1st time & was thinking how much i loved the music.

rose2boys

Keep smiling & sweating!

I generally like all of Cathe's music. I try to focus on keeping up with her and usually I can't even remember what music was on unless I really liked it.

I do like "Jesse's girl"! And I think Lowmax has my favorite music of all the DVDs...but then again, I can't remember what is on there...

Alison

Ahhh, the perennial music question. Over the years, many people have expressed dislike for the post-Intensity and Body Blast series music. Other people are less picky and seem to like pretty much anything Cathe puts out.

I really dislike the music in the 4DS and think the music is getting more generic as more DVD series come out. Boo hoo. As an earlier poster said, it sounds like a guy went into a sound booth and created some artificial music that met the beats-per-minute required of the workout. There is no soul in some of the songs. (What I really dislike from the new workouts are the outer-space-sounding song in the Kickboxing strength training segment and the "remixed" Asian-New Agey song in either HIS or LIS cardio. Total turnoff.)

I agree with some posters that it's less important that the strength training songs be as driving and motivational as the cardio songs. For example, I really dislike the Halloween-inspired organ-sounding songs of the Body Max 2 cardio. (The warmup song sounds like the singer is going to jump off a bridge at any time.) The strength training songs on that video don't bother me. (They don't have that Halloween-sounding beat, however.)

Given that it is expensive to purchase the rights to use songs on DVDs, perhaps the STS workout can re-use the hundreds of already-used songs, and tweak some so they sound different. How about a remix of the remixed Pina Colada song? Another option is to create a competition for local bands to submit songs to be remixed for video use? That way, it would be real songs that are remixed, instead of generic, elevator-sounding songs that have no foundation in a real song. The local musicians would do the work of creating a catchy song, and they would get the benefit of hearing their song being used, even if it's not on the radio.

I am sorry to say, that despite the otherwise EXCELLENT choreography, production, and spirit of Cathe videos, I have been extremely selective in my purchases in the last few years. That's a bummer.

I can't see how the music can make that much of an impact on someone to the point where they wouldn't buy a cathe workout because they didn't like the music. Totally blows me away. Anyway, I like her workouts too much I guess that even if I start out not loving the music in something eventually it grows on me. I still can't say I dislike any of the music on any of her workouts to say that I would avoid that particular workout. I do like the music in 4DS and the last batch of workouts she put out. I also love when she takes old songs from the 80s and remixes them. Its all good to me as long as its a Cathe workout!! Hahaha!!!
I have so many workouts on my shelf and no matter what, I always reach for my Cathes!!!!
T.

I agree with you Theresa. I would NEVER not buy a Cathe DVD because I may not like some of the music. These workouts are way too effective - and because I love Cathe!!!:D I also get pretty into my workouts where I hardly notice if a certain song is aggravating. It's funny because if there's a song that's got a great beat, I notice that. Point is, it doesn't matter what kind of music she decides on (even Jessie's Girl), I'm buying!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.