Job interview-advice please!

bestican

Cathlete
Hello, all...
I need some advice, and I knew I could post here and someone would give me some grand advice. I have a job interview tomorrow. I am scared to death....I have had a few interviews over the summer, and still no job. SO, I'm guessing that there's something wrong with me or my situation....the always ask if i have kids-yes, 2. THEN they always ask how old they are...can they do that? I really think that I am being disciminated against becasue I have 2 young children....ALSO, I am always asked, WHY aren't you working right now? what am I supposed to say to that?! I got let go at my last employer because they downsized-right as I went on maternity leave with my youngest.....I am more than qualified for this job, but I'm sure they are interviewing others as well.....ANY ADVICE? I'll go online all night looking up advice on how to answer questions.....I am so ready to just give up, but of course If I can get through a Cathe workout, I MUST be kinda tough, right?

Thanks for any advice.....my confidence is at an all time low

BestICan

I don't have any advice, but I want to wish you luck. I don't think they can ask you about kids. Sometimes they will try a round about way to get you to bring it up. They are trying to judge how much you will be gone for the kids - illness, school issues, etc, and whether you can work late, come in early, flexible schedule on a whim. I once had a lady ask during an interview if I had kids, how I handled kids/work, and if I ever had any major medical issues that kept me off of work. EXCUSE ME????? Had I thought it would have been worth it, I would've raised a fuss. Made me realize I didn't want to work there.

Knock their socks off!
Nan

BestICan...they absolutely CANNOT ask you personal questions like your age and whether or not you have children. The "why haven't you had a job in a while" is pretty common...don't take it personally. But don't offer the maternity leave info...unless you feel comfortable doing so. You do not have to defend yourself for taking care of your family. Is there a way you can redirect...like "Well, at my last job...or let me tell you what I've been doing to this point...and then highlight your best and brightest?

PS...DON'T stay up all night, ok? And there's nothing wrong with faking your confidence. Have you ever watched Office Space, the movie? A great one to see if you're trying to build up your confidence in corporate America.

By the way, once you get your great job, I have a book recommendation. A book called Corporate Confidential. It's all about what NOT to do at the office that people don't tell you. Unspoken rules that women really need to know.

Let us know how it goes, friend!

Go in prepared. Research the company and then jot down a few questions to ask about the company. Know about the company, the founders, etc. Really research it today (you can find a lot of information on the internet). If you appear interested and knowledgeable about the company, you will score big points. Then, when they ask if you have any questions, you will have some.

There are standard questions every interviewer asks - have your answers prepared ahead of time.

Such as - what are your strengths? Come prepared with 2-3 strengths - I'm organized, I enjoy working with others... whatever - just make sure they relate to the job.

What are your weaknesses? Answer this one is a way that can be construed as positive - for example if you are a neat freak and cannot stand a messy desk, but if the job requires you to be highly organized, say something like "Oh, I tend to be a little too focused on the little things. I cannot stand a messy desk nor can I stand loose ends. I tend to work until things are perfect."

Tell me about yourself - jot dot a brief outline that highlights your experience so that you are prepared to answer this question.

And think about the other questions you've been asked. The more prepared you are, the better you look to a potential employer.

As for them asking about your kids - legally, they cannot ask about your kids, but if you mention them, then it becomes possible. It sounds as if you provide an opening to talk about your kids by saying that you were let go while on maternity leave. Simply say that your company downsized and unfortunately, you were one they let go, and you decided to take some time off, but now you are ready to go back to work.

Good luck! I've been on both sides of the interview process. When I'm hiring, I look for someone who will fit in with the team, is friendly, and who shows me they deserve the job. I would rather hire someone who needs a bit more coaching but who has a "can do" attitude.

Go in prepared. Research the company and then jot down a few questions to ask about the company. Know about the company, the founders, etc. Really research it today (you can find a lot of information on the internet). If you appear interested and knowledgeable about the company, you will score big points. Then, when they ask if you have any questions, you will have some.

There are standard questions every interviewer asks - have your answers prepared ahead of time.

Such as - what are your strengths? Come prepared with 2-3 strengths - I'm organized, I enjoy working with others... whatever - just make sure they relate to the job.

What are your weaknesses? Answer this one is a way that can be construed as positive - for example if you are a neat freak and cannot stand a messy desk, but if the job requires you to be highly organized, say something like "Oh, I tend to be a little too focused on the little things. I cannot stand a messy desk nor can I stand loose ends. I tend to work until things are perfect."

Tell me about yourself - jot dot a brief outline that highlights your experience so that you are prepared to answer this question.

And think about the other questions you've been asked. The more prepared you are, the better you look to a potential employer.

As for them asking about your kids - legally, they cannot ask about your kids, but if you mention them, then it becomes possible. It sounds as if you provide an opening to talk about your kids by saying that you were let go while on maternity leave. Simply say that your company downsized and unfortunately, you were one they let go, and you decided to take some time off, but now you are ready to go back to work.
Good luck! I've been on both sides of the interview process. When I'm hiring, I look for someone who will fit in with the team, is friendly, and who shows me they deserve the job. I would rather hire someone who needs a bit more coaching but who has a "can do" attitude.

ITA!! They can't ask about kids unless you bring it up. And if somehow you bring it up, then just add that you have childcare in place. No need to go into details. As far as why you aren't working now/left your other job. You have the economy on your side right now and your previous company downsizing is a perfectly acceptable answer.

The main thing that I look for when I interview people is that they will fit in with the other people. Of course they need to be qualified but fitting in is almost as important as qualifications. Confidence is another thing that I look for. Most of the questions I ask are really to show me how the candidate makes conversation and expresses themself. Friendly, willing, and confident is key.

Go in there with a positive attitude and get that job!! :D Good luck!!

HTH!

BestICan - They cannot ask you ANY questions related to your children. Do you have them, their ages, your childcare arrangements, are you planning on having more, etc... All of those questions are a big no-no! In fact anything not directly related to the position your applying for cannot be asked. That doesn't mean they will not though and that definitely puts you in an awkward position. It also tells you something about the company and their level of competence when it comes to HR and their interview procedures. On the other side, the interviewer may not really be someone who usually interviews and they may just be trying to make small talk.

The best advice I can give is to dress very nice. Even if the people where you are interviewing at dress casual, it still makes a good impression to show up in business attire. Also, take your time when answering the questions. A pause is fine. Some people think they have to start blurting out an answer the second the question is asked and they end up giving a disjointed, rambling answer that has nothing to do with the actual question. Make sure you take a second to formulate your answer and that you are responding to what was actually asked. And lastly, make sure your resume is error free. An error is sometimes worse than lack of experience. You can have all the experience in the world, but turn in a resume with several errors and it will be hard for anyone to take you seriously. Good luck!!!

There is some really good advice here. I am also looking for another job and had my first interview in over 15 years last week. It went well and I did what most of these ladies suggested. Do your research about the company, that is a big factor. Dress up and look confident. Good luck to you!

I can add a few prep questions to what Christine has already given you:

Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
What do you consider your greatest success?
What was the most difficult situation you've dealt with in your career, and what was the outcome?

Totally agree w/the clothing--go traditional--a suit & hose. It shows respect for them & professionalism.

Good luck!

After the interview, follow-up is huge. Remember the names of the people you met (like the receptionist, your interviewer, etc.) mail them each a handwritten thank you note when you get home. It'll bring your name back up to the top of the pile.

I had my first interview in 15 years in 2005 after having kids, working for my husand's business and was terrible nervous about being so out of practice. The interview went okay and I mailed the thank yous. A week later a country club called me, saying they had found some notes with my phone number on the restroom counter. Apparently, the lady that interviewed me was carting my notes around, showing them to people. (I'm still employed at the same place ....!)

I have a question for you all. (sorry to hijack your thread, bestIcan) I also am getting ready for interviews after staying home for almost 10 years! How do you answer the question of why you haven't worked in so long? This has me a nervous wreck. Thanks to anyone who can answer and lots of luck to you bestIcan! Knock them dead:) Let us know how it goes(and maybe give me some advice:))

SO, THAN KS TO EVERYONE THAT OFFERED ADVICE...I HAVE NO IDEA IF I GOT THE JOB OR NOT, BUT I JUST KEPT TELLING MYSELF TO KEEP MY COOL AND TAKE A BREATH BEFORE OPENING MY TRAP ABOUT ANYTHING! THEY DID NOT ASK ME ANYTHING PERSONAL-WHICH WAS A FIRST! I JUST DOUBT THAT I GOT THE JOB...THE MARKET IS SO COMPETITIVE RIGHT NOW...EVEN THOUGH THE JOB I INTERVIEWED FOR DID NOT REQUIRE A 4 YEAR DEGREE, I'M SURE THERE WERE OTHERS THAT HAVE THEIR 4 YEAR DEGREE THAT INTERVIEWED FOR THE JOB, SO.....THANKS AGAIN TO EVERYONE....THIS INTERVIEW WAS DIFFERENT-I LEFT WITH MY HEAD HELD HIGH, EVEN THOUGH MY HOPES AND EXPECTATIONS ARE LOW...AND MAYBE THAT'S WORTH MORE TO ME THAN A PAYCHECK RIGHT NOW!

WILL KEEP YOU INFORMED....

BESTICAN

BESTICAN, I'm glad you had a good interview! Such a great feeling!!

A 4-year degree doesn't always matter. Sometimes experience is better. I've hired accounting employees who either had just a little college or just an accounting class but had so much on-the-job experience & knowledge that it would have been foolish not to hire them.

Of course this is all subjective :) IMHO a degree isn't always the deciding factor. Well, except for maybe a doctor or nurse. ;) I hope you hear back from them soon with a job offer! Don't forget to send a thank you note to the interviewer! ;)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.

Back