I've lost the will to live...

My brand new microwave has a metal rack in it. I was shocked! But it hasn't exploded yet...

I'm sure that a couple of staples would be safe. Maybe we should put this test to the Mythbusters. ;)

I read that treehugger link a couple weeks ago and would like to try the paper bag thing. My kids love popcorn, but it seems like sometime many moons ago I read that you shouldn't put oil or butter in the bag because it might catch on fire. Anybody hear of that? Of course, you could melt the butter and top it off, but who wants to make more dirty dishes?

Yes, I know, no butter is best but my little dd needs the extra calories!

I'll have to ck. out that plastic popper thingy.

Marnie

Doesn't it also have hydrogenated oil in?

You could get an airpopper for about $20 and make your own. It may take you a while to find the combo of toppings you like (melted toppings like Smart Balance or Earth Balance or coconut oil, nutritional yeast sprinkled on, or buttery flavored something).

You don't have to use a staple, just fold over the opening a few times and press it s0 it stays. I've done this with no problem.

> I like
>Ame's "instructions" about the olive oil better than the
>butter.

You don't have to use any oil at all if you don't want to. There are a few more natural 'buttery flavored' sprays on the market that you could spray it with once it's out of the microwave.

>Nance, my understanding is that you actually have to sniff it
>for it to be harmful -- like sticking your nose in the bag and
>sniffing.

If it's something that affects the lungs, I would think you could get exposure to it just by opening the microwave door...if you breath. And while you are eating, you are probably breathing as well, and perhaps being exposed to it that way.

Geez Nancy!

I am gone for a few days only to reappear and think you are suicidal!

Now I must stop the heart palpitations before I think about popcorn.

[font color=red][font size=+2]Judy "Likes2bfit"[/font]

The Boy Scouts are selling popcorn again and their vendor, Trails End, says they haven't used the chemical for a few years now.

The above was a biased self serving attempt to get you to buy popcorn from the Boy Scouts.

>The Boy Scouts are selling popcorn again and their vendor,
>Trails End, says they haven't used the chemical for a few
>years now.
>
>The above was a biased self serving attempt to get you to buy
>popcorn from the Boy Scouts.

That is DANG GOOD popcorn! My ds used to be in scouts and I was the best customer!;)

Okay, folks. I went out and bought a jar of Orville Redenbacher popping corn, a bunch of lunch bags and a spray bottle of I Can't Believe It's Not Butter. I couldn't find any jalapeno seasoning or popcorn salt.

The microwave popping worked very well. I used one tsp. of olive oil instead of two. As Ame said, the two staples were no problem. I am now eating some pretty good-tasting popcorn. However, there are 2 dirty bowls, 2 dirty spoons, and my stapler and kitchen counter are greasy. That's what I call a recipe. It involved muss and fuss, even if my DH did wash the dishes. :(

The worst part is that's it's inconvenient to take the bowl into bed with me. x(

WAAAAAHH!! I want my Smartpop. Sniff.

Oh, and the Butter spray is delicious, but 1 serving is 5 sprays, and I've already used about 40 sprays. So, I'm no doubt way out of the 0 calories per serving zone. :(

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.

Back