Issue with Apple TV and Xfinity?

Nanoo52

Hi, I use an Apple TV device to watch Cathe Live and On Demand workouts on my TV. I switched to Comcast from Verizon a month ago and things seemed fine, then, suddenly, the icon for “Airplay” disappeared and I can no longer use my Apple device to stream Cathe workouts on my TV? Anybody else experience this problem? Apple support was awesome, had me on the phone for an hour trying various fixes. Bottom line is that Xfinity/Comcast apparently recently updated a firewall that blocks recognition of the streaming signal. Anybody else having problems? Or is it just me? I feel like I am getting flabby already- hope it gets resolved soon!! Worst case I guess I can watch and workout from the small screen, does anyone else do that?

We don't have Xfinity anymore, but we were recently traveling and I used my Apple TV to do On Demand in a rental house that had Xfinity, and it worked just fine. Was of the fixes from Apple to change your HDMI cable? I know that there are different kinds, including some that are necessary to stream copyrighted content. Not sure if that has anything to do with it, but we bought a special HDMI cable to use with our Apple TV. I have this cable: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SI1J98W/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Not that I'm trying to spend your money, and I have no idea if that's it, but it's not too pricey and might be worth a try?

I just re-read your comment...are you trying to stream Cathe Live and On Demand from your phone or ipad to the Apple TV using airplay, or are you using the Apple TV apps directly? If you're using your phone/ipad, try installing the Cathe apps directly in Apple TV and running them from there. That's what I've always used and never had a problem. Sorry if I've misunderstood; I'm all confused now!

Good luck! Hope you figure it out!

Edit: Just added a photo of my Apple TV home screen showing the Cathe Apps, just in case that helps. You can search for them in the Apple TV app store.

Last edited:
Yes, I am using or trying to use Airplay, which has always worked before. I didn't know there was an option to load apps directly on Apple TV! Thank you! I will try to do it, but I have no idea how to even begin. My apple tv comes with a list of pre-loaded apps that I can choose to show or hide, no idea how to add one that isn't on the list. It may be that my Apple TV is too old to do that? It is, I believe, a second generation version, and there are several newer versions, from what I understand. Anyhow, I'll google it and see what I can find. Thanks again for your help! Frustrated that I can't work out!
Edited: Loading apps onto apple Tv is only available on 4th or 5th generation models, according to their support web page, and mine is a 2nd Generation device. Thank you anyhow! Hopefully Comcast can resolve the conflict and I won't have to buy a new Apple TV......

Edited again! How does Roku work with Cathe apps? No issues? I checked and I can buy a Roku for $30 vs $150 for the newest Apple TV. As far as I can tell, one isn't better than the other, except I am not sure the Roku will work with my iPad and iPhone..... yikes.....

Last edited:
I now use Amazon Firestick and have had no problems and I've been doing it this way for about 2 yrs now. I just downloaded the 2 apps from amazon and I get to work. I use to use a laptop but I find the Firestick a lot easier to use and I like that I can now have "favorites" for her live classes. I never had that on my laptop. Best of luck. Sorry I don't know anything about Roku or Apple.

Ah, got it. I have a newer Apple TV. I didn't realize that older versions didn't include apps.

I think if you get a Roku that will work. I don't know that it will let you mirror your screen, but I think Cathe has Roku apps that you use directly on the device, like the Firestick that firemedic mentions above, or like the apple tv apps I mentioned before.

Another option is to get a lightning connector that you can attach to your iphone/ipad. You then connect it to an HDMI cable to your TV and it will mirror whatever you have on your screen. I have one and it works fine. https://www.amazon.com/Apple-Lightning-Digital-Adapter-MD826AM/dp/B009WHV3BM

Last edited:
I just had one other thought, and forgive me if you've already tried this. Are you sure that your phone/ipad and your apple tv are both hooked up to the same wifi network? For example, if your Apple TV is on wifi but your phone is on 4g they might not be able to communicate properly. Or if you have more than one wifi network (for example if your xfinity router has two wifi networks set up), maybe the two devices are connected to different networks?

Just thought I'd mention it, just in case.

Wow, thanks for all the help! These are suggestions I will keep in mind (and on file) in the event this thing goes on the fritz again. I was able to get Comcast to "forward a port" (???) that resolved the issue quite quickly with a phone call. Now don't get me started on how long it takes to actually speak to a human with them..... But anyhow, they indicated this could happen again and I think the lightning connector sounds like the simplest fix. Thanks again, Jodi and Firemedic!

Wow, glad that Comcast was actually helpful and got it working for you! (We have a long and ugly relationship with Comcast around here...don't get me started. ;-) ) Anyway, glad it's all okay now and I hope it stays that way!

Just an update here? The fix worked for a few days, then stopped working again. (Sigh....) I didn’t want to go through the special hell that is Comcast customer service again (how many tines must I repeat “speak to an agent” before the robot believes me?), so I swiped an Ethernet cable (unused) from the office and hooked up the modem directly to my AppleTv box. Problem solved! Would not have worked if my modem was not right next to the TV I use for workouts. But with the Ethernet connection, there have been no further issues and that has been over a week ago so I think it’s resolved. Never had this issue with Fios.

I just purchased my new AppleTv today, I just got so tired from being kicked off Cathe Live right in the middle of my workouts. It would happen at least once during my workouts( I would use my 2 generation iPad and phone for years) :oops:
Im excited to use it on monday. I previewed the workout and i'm amazed at the difference. =) And loving the #icons.:)

"I just purchased my new AppleTv today, I just got so tired from being kicked off Cathe Live right in the middle of my workouts."

Trina, congratulations on your new AppleTV! :) (Ugh, getting kicked off right in the middle of a workout must have been incredibly annoying.) It sounds like all will go smoothly now.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.