Is the treadmill bad for you?

jlsahli

Cathlete
Yesterday during my kettlebell class my instructor asked what workouts I did for the week and I said my normal KB and then I spent a few workouts (just walking) on the treadmill. She had a fit!!! She said you should NEVER go on a treadmill, it is horrible for you. I unfortunately didn't have a chance to ask her to explain since she had a group of folks waiting for their workshop, but I will definitely ask her next week to elaborate. In the meantime, I just wondered if any of you have ever heard such a thing and if so, why? I really love walking on the treadmill in the mornings at 5 AM (I kind of hate walking outside in the dark that early). I will ask her next week, but in the meantime the suspense is killing me. I would call but she left for Atlanta right after her workshop so I really won't get to chat with her until Sat.

Let me just say that if it weren't for my treadmill, I WOULDN'T BE A RUNNER! :D I made that comment to an editor from Runner's World Magazine once (they sponsor a half marathon in my area and I chatted with him at the expo) and he said they were working on an article about this very thing.

Seriously, my first race EVER was the Disney FULL MARATHON in January '06 and I did 90% of my training on the TREADMILL! I'm a single SAHM and the only way I could consistently run is with my TM. It has become the MOST-used piece of equipment in my arsenal. I don't know HOW ANYBODY could say the TM is bad for you. I'd like to hear this instructor's justifications for making such a broad, bold statement without explanation. HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

I've run numerous races since then and trained for each and every one of them with my TM. I've increased my endurance and my speed, using my TM. I'm running paces and times/speeds that I never imagined....all because of my TM. If anything, I'm bad for my TM! ;)

So, my opinion....NO IT'S NOT BAD FOR YOU!

Gayle

Last edited:
I could not think of any good reason why the treadmill is bad for you. I hear some negatives like the calories burned count is off and the resistance is not the same as when you run outdoors (which experts say you can fix by raising the treadmill to 1% incline), but those things are nothing.

Whatever she tells you, keep using your treadmill.

Sounds like a pile of crap and a whole load of personal prejudice to me. Such broadly sweeping generalizations uttered by a personal trainer would lead me to be deeply suspicious of her abilities to train others safely and effectively with KBs.

I love the treadmill, its helps me to push hard, work hard and put myself to the test, each and every time I use it. It motivates me, is easily accessible for my available workout time, late at night when running outside is not safe, and I can do all the hill and speed challenges I want with it. I can even use it as part of my PT when coming back from knee pain and injury: running outside never did anything good for my knees, ever.

Bad for me? !00% NOT!

Clare

Let me just say that if it weren't for my treadmill, I WOULDN'T BE A RUNNER! :D
It has become the MOST-used piece of equipment in my arsenal. I don't know HOW ANYBODY could say the TM is bad for you. I'd like to hear this instructor's justifications for making such a broad, bold statement without explanation. HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

I've run numerous races since then and trained for each and every one of them with my TM. I've increased my endurance and my speed, using my TM. I'm running paces and times/speeds that I never imagined....all because of my TM. If anything, I'm bad for my TM! ;)

So, my opinion....NO IT'S NOT BAD FOR YOU!

DITTO every freakin' word that Gayle said! NO, the treadmill is not bad for you!!! I'm amazed and shocked that your KB instructor said that to you...and quite frankly, I'm FURIOUS at her for making such a bold, ridiculous statement.

I really love walking on the treadmill in the mornings at 5 AM (I kind of hate walking outside in the dark that early).

I'm very curious what the problem was because I would like to get a treadmill for the same reason, I just don't like to run outside in the dark, its very dangerous where I live because of the nocturnal animals including birds of prey, snakes, mountain lions and skunk. I had no idea it was a bad idea I know its not the same as the outdoors because of the incline issue.

Sounds like a pile of crap and a whole load of personal prejudice to me. Such broadly sweeping generalizations uttered by a personal trainer would lead me to be deeply suspicious of her abilities to train others safely and effectively with KBs.
I'm on board with everyone else here, and I especially like what Clare said! ^

Here's one article from running planet that talks about possible negatives of TM running, but the author is an avid TM user too.

http://www.runningplanet.com/training/treadmill-versus-outside-running.html

I think there is a school of thought among "old school runners" that TMs can create a lazy stride where you don't pick your knees up enough because the belt does the work for you. (My DB is one of these types of runners and he's a total PITA w/ his 'TMs are evil' lectures. :rolleyes:)

Personally, I think it has to do w/ machismo. Some people just love to brag about the HORRIBLE conditions they ran thru and how they persevered despite slathering dogs, blistering heat, torrential rains, freezing 80 mph winds, herds of feral cats, entirely uphill, yet they set a PR.

Of course, they can't embellish like that if they run on a TM in an air conditioned/heated house. :p

Last edited:
Wow! I agree with everyone else. How could a treadmill possibly be "bad" for you... unless you fall off it and hurt yourself. Otherwise, it's a GOOD thing for you.

Thank goodness for my treadmill. It's what allows me to be a year round runner.

I wouldn't pay much attention to anything she says.

I remember some ladies I used to work with said the same thing about the treadmill. They had always heard that treadmills were bad for the knees. I am not really sure why though. Of course, I walk on the treadmill A LOT and have been experiencing sore knees:confused:.

I wonder if it is one of those "old wives tales" like the one that step aerobics will give you big calves or lifiting weights will bulk you up:rolleyes:!!

Carrie

I began my love hate relationship with running on my Treadmill. And have used it religiously for almost 10yrs. However, I have been having a lot of knee pain, so much so that my running stride has suffered (unknowingly) and I now have a strained hip flexor. Running on the treadmill HURTS really bad, and I couldn't understand it until I talked w/my Physical Therapist. She agreed, that my body mechanics aren't correct on the treadmill, and in fact, she recommeded me not to run on a treadmill at all, only outside. I say there is NOTHING wrong with a treadmill unless it causes you pain!! :)

Becky

Please ask your instructor what level of education she has. Kinesiology, physical therapist, what? You don't have to have any type of fitness education to be a KB instructor, often times they are certified by a particular KB institution but nor formal education.

Injuries wether knee pain, shin splints or IT Band injuries rarely have anything to do with running on a treadmill or a track. It is poor mechanics, the main culprit being striking with the heel and rolling forward. I know this goes against what has been the mainstream of what has been taught. For more info on correct running on treadmills or any other surfaces please look into the POSE Method of Running or ChiRunning. You will be so glad and your injury free legs will thank you!
Booboo

Booboo.....I personally thank you for posting about Chi Running and the POSE Method (I've never heard of that). I've been trying to see if I can work on my foot strikes to help/alleviate my PF. I'm going to be checking those techniques out!

Gayle

Thank you all for your thoughts and responses. I am pretty miffed, I personally think that walking is the best form of exercise and I really enjoy my morning treadmill walks. She is also the one that recommended those foot detox pads. She asked me about them again and I told her that they were garbage and I don't think that they are good for you (long story) I think that sort of ticked her off. Anyhow, after this training package is over I think it is time to part ways, however, that is going to be hard for me since I do really like her and I have made impressive strength gains (for me anyway). Any ideas on how I can make a clean break?

I'm sure that some treadmills are not good to walk or run on, and some people might not be a good fit for a treadmill, but for someone to categorically say that noone should walk on a treadmill ever seems a bit whack to me.

Definitely question her further to see why she said that.

My friend who is a doctor who specializes in MRI's says to not use treadmills as well. He says that the treadmill forces you to run and walk in a very unnatural position and can seriously aggravate knees and hips. He says he sees more injuries from people using treadmills than any other piece of equipment in the gym. I use them very occasionally, but I'd much rather run or walk outside.

My friend who is a doctor who specializes in MRI's says to not use treadmills as well. He says that the treadmill forces you to run and walk in a very unnatural position and can seriously aggravate knees and hips. He says he sees more injuries from people using treadmills than any other piece of equipment in the gym. I use them very occasionally, but I'd much rather run or walk outside.

Wow, interesting. Thanks for the info. Just curious, did he happen to say anything about elliptical machines?

I've never heard that treadmills are bad, but andtckrtoo's post makes a lot of sense--the reason I hate (and I do mean HATE) running on a treadmill is because it's so uncomfortable for me. I do feel my joints getting achy when I run on it, which is ironic, because all I've ever heard about treadmills is that they supposedly have less impact on your joints than road running. I also hear a lot that treadmills are easier because the belt is doing the movement for you, but I find the opposite. I have a way easier time running outside than on a treadmill; after about 10 minutes on one (if I last that long), I'm ready to give up. Outside I could run for hours--literally.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.