Is it okay to wear running shoes for step?

kelley111

Cathlete
Hi Cathe,

I've been having a horrible time finding shoes that do not make my feet hurt. I have a bunion on my left foot that really acts sometimes during the high impact work. I refuse to get this surgically removed until I absolutely have to. I have tried several different styles/brands of shoes. Recently I bought a pair of New Balance running shoes for my treadmill. They felt so good that I decided to try them for other cardio workouts. So far these feel better than any shoe I have tried. Is it okay to continue with these running shoes or do I need to keep looking for crosstrainers or studio shoes?

I have very small feet, so I'm limited to sneakers. I have always worn running sneakers for step ~ everything for that matter ~ and have never had a problem. I've been stepping with Cathe for about six years now.

My opinion is that running shoes would be okay. They are designed to support the foot under high-impact conditions. My understanding is that cross-training and studio shoes provide added side-to-side support and stability for all the lunge-type moves. I have shoes right now that don't give much of that, and I don't have any problems. Please note that I'm not a pro, and this is only based on my personal experience.

Thanks for the responses. That was my understanding also is the side-to-side support and stability. I have another pair of running shoes which I can't wear for cardio because I could tell there was no stabilizing of my foot, but this pair feels great.

Kelley, I wear my running shoes for practically everything, including step. I've found that some shoes don't enough cushioning in the forefoot (either that or I wear it out since I wear my shoes so much). I use a cushioning toe pad (that you can get from dance supply websites) or those blue metatarsal gel cushions (stocked in the feet section of grocery stores). Both options have really helped.

I use my running shoes for step sometimes. They have more room in them than my other shoes, so I wear them when my feet are swollen for some reason. The difference in the shoes is that runners are made for forward motion. The slightly flared soles try and keep the foot from side to side motion (like the other posters said). Aerobics, or studio shoes are made for just the opposite. They are designed for lots of turning. Just compare the soles of the shoes :). So when I wear my runners I don't do all the turns. The runners are great for weight workouts.

Like how we all answer questions addressed to cathe?

I don't mind at all that ya'll answered for Cathe. I've been wearing my running shoes for all my workouts this week and my feet feel better than ever. And yes they do have more toe room which is what I need. My bunion hasn't even been hurting since I've started wearing them. Thanks for all the responses.

It is good that you can wear your running shoes also with cardio. I was wearing my running with cardio and step and it caused me feet to hurt at the ankle. I have had a foot doctor to tell me you should have running shoes for running and crosstraining shoes for cardio and step. But if the shoes aren't giving you any problems then you probably wouldn't have to buy seperate ones. I'm just sharing what I had experienced and been told.

kim

This is the thread I was looking for. I recently posted a similiar question. I think my next pair will be running shoes. I'm anxious to here what Cathe says.

Brad

Running shoes should be used for running only. They do not provide adequate support and shock absorption for verticle jumps and agility movements like what are used in aerobics. Running shoes were designed and cushioned for heel to toe strides only. Using running shoes to do aerobics will break them in the wrong way and increase your risk of injury in both activities. Crosstrainers should be used for aerobics. Go to a shoe specialty store near you and get advice from one of the associates. They are usually very knowlegdable and helpful. HTH

ETA that New Balance has great crosstrainers, too :)
Missy

Hi Missy, I'm actually not a runner at all. I only walk on my treadmill. Therefore, the running shoes are getting used for my step and kickbox workouts only. The only hi/lo workouts I do are whatever Cathe provides in her workouts. My only source of cardio is Cathe workouts.

I have literally bought 7 different pairs of crosstrainers/studio shoes in the last 6 months, and they all hurt my forefeet. I actually have 3 pair sitting in my bedroom in boxes waiting to go back to the store, including Ryka Rhythm II which are too tight for my forefeet and make my toes and forefeet tingle and fall asleep and a pair of New Balance studio shoes which I literally can't even walk in they are so uncomfortable. I also have the Avias that Cathe and crew are wearing in Kick Max. I feel like I might as well be barefoot as to wear those. And the others I have tried include more New Balance, Nike, and Ascis (not sure how to spell).

My favorite pair of crosstrainers have actually been New Balance that I bought like 2 years ago. I can't seem to find another pair that fit as good as those with the exception of the New Balance running shoes that I'm wearing now which feel absolutely wonderful.

Any suggestions you have for brands/styles that I should try are welcome. I needs lots of padding and room in the forefeet. My arches are of no concern nor are my heels. It is just the forefeet.

I came back to add that I did talk to a sales person at Sports Authority about shoes, and he is the one who recommended me trying the running shoes.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.