is cathe for me?

mkunkel

Cathlete
I'm new to Cathe, so sorry if this topic has been discussed before. I browsed the forum and still didn't find an answer to my specific concerns.

I've worked out on and off for several years doing cardio machines and exercise tapes by instructors such as Karen Voight and Tamilee, as well as some free-weight training on my own based on Joyce Vedral's book and magazines such as Fitness and Shape. I recently tried the Firm and couldn't stand it. I came across the Video Fitness site which got me interested in Cathe. Is everyone that uses Cathe a bodybuilder? The weights used are so heavy compared to what I'm used to. I generally use 5, 8, or 10 pounds depending on the exercise. My body is fairly toned, but I want to be more sculpted and defined, without bulking up too much. Can I get "cut" without getting big using heavy weights? I was considering getting the Power Hour/MIS/Body Max DVD, but hesitate. I'm just not sure if I'm getting in over my head.

Thanks for any help/suggestions any of you may have.

Hi, I like Cathe a lot especially her strength work. Not everyone who uses Cathe is a bodybuilder. I am not. I have this DVD that you are thinking about purchasing I love this one. I think you would enjoy this DVD. I use Firm videos too. And I do not use the amount of weight that Cathe uses. I use a weight that is challenging for me, and at an amount that I can use with correct form. Cathe does not want you lifting as heavy as her if you can not.she only states how much she is using as a guide. I know there is a lot of times where Cathe states well I'm going to drop down to 20's or something like that and I'm like well Cathe I guess I will drop down to my 8's. All you need to remember is to choose a weight that is challenging to you and progress to higher weights later if you can or feel that those weights are too light for you.

I only use 3-10 lb dumbbells for upper body and 15-20s for lower body. As long as you are challenging yourself, I wouldn't worry about how much weight you are using. I think Cathe is the best instructor out there and would highly recommend any of her tapes.

Colleen

I would highly recommend Cathe. The PH+ DVD is a great choice if you want to stick with lighter weights, higher reps. If you are ready to give Cathe's cardio a try, I would suggest CTX. It has great weight work and is an awesome intro to Cathe's style and intensity. Of course, I am not sure how much money you want to spend. But once you buy one, it seems like you will sooner than later buy the rest of them. At least I did. Have fun!

I think I can safely assume that not everyone who uses Cathe's routines are bodybuilders. About getting "cut"...continue using the weights you are using or increase by two to five pound where its not uncomfortable for you and just increase the amounts of repititions. Light weights and more reps seem to be the key to strength and toning...mind you bulk will come slower with light weights...its just normal of the body to gain some muscle mass but you should be fine using the light weights. Cathe's "Slow and Heavy" Series is just wonderful. Hope this helps

Thanks everybody for your input. I'm going to get the PowerHour+ DVD. If Cathe's as good as you all say, I'm sure I'll be tempted to get the Pure Strength or Slow and Heavy one too. Or maybe one of her new ones which sound pretty cool. I can't wait to read reviews on those.

Cathe is for everyone who wants an awesome workout. Her form pointers and cuing are so clear and concise that you will see wonderful improvement in your fitness regardless of the weight you use. Once you get started, don't be surprised if you find yourself out shopping for heavier weights! I have weights ranging from 3 to 25. I mainly use 5 to 15 pounds but it varies. Cathe's workouts offer tremendous variety, something for everyone! And as you get to "know" her, it's like working out with a dear friend who is funny and lighthearted and always gives that perfect encouragement right when it's needed!. I like many other instructors, but no one can campare to Cathe.

http://www.plaudersmilies.de/chicken.gif Chick's Rule! B http://www.plaudersmilies.de/natur/petals.gif bbi

Cathe Friedrich is simply the best fitness instructor and makes the best videos on the market today. So to answer you question, do not hesitate.

I love most every single video she has ever done. She changed my body shape and my life.

I went from a size 12 to a size 2 and have maintained this size for 2 years now.......with just some dietary modifications (I kicked the soda habit) and pushing myself with Cathe's videos ( I do the Firm too and find they compliment one and caused even better results).

But Cathe is #1 in my opinion. There is nobody like her! And I love the way she tries to keep her cast members the same. It is like seeing old friends -- Cathe's videos have kept me going when the world around me seemed to be falling apart!

And I have met her twice and can only say that she is the most down to earth, caring, and wonderful person you would ever want to meet!

Ditto to all these other posts. Cathe is the best in my book. She's inspired me and my body has changed so much, and I have always worked out. All I can say is try her and if you don't like her there are many people waiting for those tapes. I don't think you will be disappointed. Good luck!

Lynn

Now I'm definitely convinced to give Cathe a try. I'm getting the PH+ DVD for sure. Now my dilemma is what else to get. PS or S&H or one of her new ones?! Maybe I'll just wait until Christmas and put them all at the top of my list. I'm more interested in the strength training workouts as I don't have the room to do step aerobics stuff. (I run, do the elliptical or bike for cardio.) I have a step but not the real kind with risers. I can use a weight bench instead, can't I?

I appreciate everyone's input. I'm so glad I stumbled onto this website, although my husband probably thinks I'm nuts for spending so many hours just browsing through all the questions and comments. But if I start getting real results, I'm sure he won't mind. I've learned so much. Thanks!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.