IPOD's vs MP3 players

steppin

Cathlete
what is the difference between the 2?? i love 2 listen 2 books on dvd/tape/audio from the library programs. but just need to know which is better 4 this???? would like to start downloading??? thanks 4 your help

Roxie;-)

i have a sansa and i love it. i have had it for about two yars and have had no problems. DBF has gon through two ipods in that same time period. one he got replaced for free because it broke a few moths afteer he got it, but the warranty had expired on the first one. this time, he got the extended warranty. it was actuallu a pain to get it fixed. he had to make an appointment at the apple store (they can only be made three days or less in advance), then wait while he was there, then had the person tell him what he already knew(that it didn't work), then he was able to get a replacement. i think he could have sent it in for a replacement but only AFTER the people at ipod lok at it and determine that it really is broken. seems like a pain to me. then again, i've never had a problem with my sansa, so i don't know what i would have to do to get it fixed.

Lorie (and others),
I am really interested in getting another Sansa with all the bells and whistles. It just seems that all the accessories I might like to have are made for iPOD. Is this really so? Will I be able to find some sort of attachment to play my sansa through my car radio, my home stereo, the alarm clock, etc? I would really like to skip the iPOD for the reasons you mentioned...I know three people who have had problems and many swear by sansa....so.....give me the poop ;)
(and thanks!!)

In my opinion, they're all pretty good. I got an ipod because it's so easy to use with the itunes store. I tried using my other mp3 player with the itunes store and couldn't get it to work. Using an ipod with itunes is a no-brainer. So, my suggestion is to start with what you want to listen to, then you'll know which player is best for you. What library are you referring to? DVDs and tapes don't work with mp3 players, so make sure that an mp3 player is what you really need. (By the way, not to confuse you further, but an ipod is also an mp3 player).

Roxie,

The difference between iPod and MP3 players is like the difference between Coca Cola and Soda. An iPod is just one particular brand of MP3 player. There are several brands. In the US and to a lesser extent everywhere else in the world iPod is the most popular brand. Just like there is Cherry Coke, regular Coca Cola and Coca Cola Light, there are variations in iPod models as well.

MP3 is the name of the format used to store audio files digitally. You can import audio content from your CDs onto your PC as MP3 format, or buy audio content as a digital download as MP3 format. MP3 audio files can be transferred to MP3 players like the iPod from your PC.

The first generation of small sized players that were introduced such as the iPod, could only play audio. MP3 was the most popular format that music and other audio content was stored in on these players. Hence they came to be called MP3 players.

The newer models of players play both audio and video content. You can not just listen to music but watch movies or tv serials on them. There are multiple formats of digital media content that can be played on such players such as MPEG4, WMV, DivX. So technically this new breed of players are not just MP3 players because they support one or mopre video formats as well. They are called "media players" strictly speaking. However the term MP3 player is still used loosely to refer to them as well.

iPod's newest lineup of models are all media players (except the Shuffle). They can play audio as well as video.

Chief competing models are the Sansa line from Sandisk, Samsung, Creative, Sony, Archos, iRiver.

The audio only players tend to be cheaper than the video+audio models.

Within the audio-only player models there are:
a. rudimentary players without a screen such as the iPod Shuffle that are ultra small but you cannot see what is playing or "scroll" through the collection on the player to "find" a song.
b. players with a basic monochrome screen that displays the name of the song playing and let you scroll through your songs/audio files.
c. players with attractive, color screen that let you organize music/audi into playlists, scroll through content based on artist/album/playlist. These display the album art while the song plays.

The media players (audio+video) all have attractive color screens.

When you buy a player - whether audio only or audio+video you can buy a flash-memory based player or a hard-disk based player. The former are compact but can store less content. They are popular for use during exercise because they are small-sized. The hard-disk based players are bulkier and have larger storage capacity. People who like to carrry around large collections of content prefer these models.

The iPod Nano, iPod shuffle and iPod Touch are iPod's flash based players. The iPod Classic is their hard-disk based model.

beavs-here's the poop (heh heh...you said poop) all i really wanted was a sports carrier since i only use it for running outside. i was able to find that at best buy. i saw someone posted a link, so i am sure there are a lot of things out there. there would need to be to keep them competitive. as for syncing it, i use the wondows media player that came with my computer and it is a cinch! if i can do it, you certainly can!

If I understand correctly, there is something called DRM put on all the iTunes that prevent you from playing it on other mp3 players. DRM stands for digital rights management.

You can buy songs on iTunes that don't have the DRM signal, but they cost more.

Susan L.G.

Beavs,

Looks like there are many great accessories:
http://www.sandisk.com/Products/Catalog(1200)-Made_for_Sansa_Accessories.aspx

Vrinda

Thank alot for the info. This really helps out alot. I was getting a headache trying to find the one for me. And thanks to everyone else for tips and ideas.

This is why I love cathe.com

People helping, People...

Roxie:7

thanks again

Another thing to keep in mind, since you said you want to listed to audio books from the library, is that for downloadable audiobooks many libraries use limited-license files that are not supported by the ipod. you should definitely check with your library about which players are supported before you buy any player if borrowed audiobooks will be one of the main things you use it for.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.