Intermittent Fasting update....reached goal and then some!

horselady21

Cathlete
Hi, all, and hope this post finds you all well!

Just a quick update on my progress. For those of you who don't know me, my original goal for the past several years, was to at least get down to 170. That was my original goal. Working out long hours, step, Zumba, running, and following a balanced diet (Zone), was a miserable failure. My last calendar month (March) before I started fasting, was covered in big "WTF?!"'s, along with up and down a few pounds, and no measurement loss. Frustrated, I accidentally found an ad for the book "The Fast Diet". That is when my life changed.

So I started in mid April with 5:2 (2 500 caloire days a week), which quickly shifter into various fasting forms as I learned more. Now I do some variation of 16:8, combined with 2, 3 or 4 fasting days, whatever I feel like doing. I DO NOT count calories. I estimate. I dropped all but a few carbs, eat mainly protein and fats.

I have had to revise my goals, from 170, to 160, to 150....and this week, a couple of weeks behind schedule, I reached 148.4! So now I have re-revised my goal to 140. How many times have you had to do that??

There are many versions of fasting, so lots to choose from. Officially, there is the Fast Diet (5:2), the Fast 5 (19:5), 16:8, the Four Hour Diet, Alternate Day Fasting....whichever you go with, it not only will keep you losing weight, it si also very healthy, and will aid in preventing heart disease , diabetes, high cholesterol, and there is some evidence that it helps to prevent Alzheimer's. There is also some evidence of cancer prevention.

A couple of great web sites and books that I have turned to for support, research and understanding:

www.intensivedietarymanagement.com (start with Calories I to learn why we gain weight and why we have been misled for decades on how to lose weight..this will shock you!)

www.thefastdiet.co.uk (super forum...I am on the Little Voices monthly challenges..fun and motivating!)

www.leangains.com (bodybuilder who "invented" 16:8...the man has 5% body fat..oh my, to be young again!)

books:
"Good calories, Bad Calories" by Gary Taubes
"Why We Get Fat, and What to Do About It" Gary Taubes
"Wheat Belly"
"Protein Power"

I have toyed around with fasting in the past. I was wondering what program you think might be best for me. Some background...I work full time, long hours. My work hours vary from day to day so a consistent fasting period each day is not optimal. I have tried full fast days (ie. nothing but liquids) and each time I did that I got dizzy at work. (My job involves being on my feet all day). I want to be able to eat dinner with my family. Thanks for any thoughts!

Hi, Stacy! The 16:8 (16 hour fast, 8 hour eating window) , in my opinion, works best and easiest for me. If you think about it, 8 hours of that is sleeping (or close to it). So, for example, I eat dinner around 5. Nothing after that, go to bed, wake up, no breakfast, eat first meal around 9 am. So that might work for you. The cool thing is, you can try different versions and find what works for you.

Also, it is said that it takes about 30 days for the body to get used to using stored fat and/or ketones for fuel, instead of the constant calorie load it is used to. That is why you get sick and dizzy. after fasting for a while and your body becomes more efficient, that goes away.

Thanks for your input and great job by the way! I've been reading along on your progress! I'll try the 16:8. I will likely change the hours on weekends a bit as sometimes hubby likes to go out for breakfast. That would probably mean that sometimes the 16 hour window would be shortened if I ate dinner later the night before, but I'm guessing that won't make or break anything. My friend wants me to do the 21 Day Fix program with her (the program with the food containers). I'm not getting the workouts, will sub in Cathe's, but hoping to incorporate the containers plus the 16:8 plan. I have the dreaded "last 15 lbs" I'd like to lose!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.