Interesting article on fast food

It would be great if more Americans knew this stuff. In general, it usually comes down to the sauces and dressings. For example, a cheeseburger with lettuce, tomato, pickles and ketchup is generally going to have fewer calories than a tuna salad sandwich made with mayo. "Dressings" like ketchup, mustard and soy sauce have no fat and very few calories. Mayo, cream cheese, high fat salad dressings and the like are almost pure fat, and therefore have tons of calories.

(And always check the fat on turkey burgers! The turkey they use to make the burgers is generally not the same stuff you put on your sandwiches. Sometimes you're better off with a lean beef burger.)

and while ketchup,mustard and soy sauce have no fat watch the content of these condiments. many ketcups are made with high fructose corn syrup or another kind of sugar and soy sauce has very high sodium(but they do offer a low sodium option).

i like mustard and in fact viola prefers it on her fries over ketchup. she even eats her homeade chicken nuggets with it. but she also loves ranch dressing so i try to go for the lower-carb or low fat version(ranch is the only way i can get her to eat her veggies at this point)

i never order a tuna sub at subway. i usually get a subway combo(none of that double stuff either)roast beef,ham,turkey no cheese spinach,lettuce,onion,tomatoe and maybe a little oil/vinegar. if i eat tuna its at home where i can add onion and half the amount of mayo. i don't really care for really mayonnaisy salads. i like just enough for the taste.

i am pretty boring at orders. its usually always a salad and dressing on the side so i dip my fork in it before i bite. i also much prefer vinegrette type dressings.

once in a blue moon we have fast food but say at BK(hate mcd's in this area)i go for a veggie burger no mayo or light mayo. i never order fries. at taco bell i get 2 or 3 regular tacos. its cheap and fast and i can supplement with raw veggies or salad when i get home to make i have gotten all my veggies.

kassia

http://www.picturetrail.com/ldy_solana

"And do what thee wilt as long as ye harm none"

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1307/4842454/16585805/276676894.jpg

"and while ketchup,mustard and soy sauce have no fat watch the content of these condiments. many ketcups are made with high fructose corn syrup or another kind of sugar and soy sauce has very high sodium(but they do offer a low sodium option)."

Kassia, for most Americans, the main thing is avoiding obesity, which means reducing fat and calories. For Catheites, the goal is clean eating, but that's a whole other level that most Americans will never even get close to! (Personally, the closest I come to fast food is the unsweetened iced green tea at Starbuck's :p )

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.