interested in cathe ..

hemi64

I am interested in buying some cathe dvd"s but i have very limited space to workout. at least where the tv is. i also have thick carpet which makes traction not very good.
i walk /run for cardio so i am not interested in those dvd's.i am an int/ advanced. i have been lifting for 20 yrs but do not live near a gym in my new state. any suggestions for dvd's???
Thanks

Small Space Workout

Are you talking about weight workouts? As I recall, The pyramid upper/lower workouts
don't require a lot of space. I am pretty sure they only use dumbells. You could slide them under your couch. I hope this helps. Melissa

What kind of equipment do you have? Do you have a barbell? Cathe has SO many weight workouts to choose from. Do you want full body workouts or do you prefer split routines? I would suggest a variety.

My favorites in no particular order:
- 4-Day Split (this has cardio, too, but I don't do it -- I just do the weights)
- Muscle Endurance
- Muscle Max
- the Gym Style workouts (a 3-day split on 3 separate DVD's)
- Supersets & Push Pull (together on the same DVD)
- Slow and Heavy
- Pyramid Upper Body and Pyramid Lower Body

You should view the clips -- they're nice and long and will give you a pretty good idea of what the workouts are like. I have all of the above and I love them all. :D

thinking of starting cathe...

thanks for the response, i have a portable bench, DB's 3,5,8,10lb, therabands, stability ball, ankle weights, 6lb med ball. do i need anything else??

Hemi,

Depending on your strength, you may need a 15# and perhaps even 20# set of dumbbells. I need 30#ers for muscles like lats and legs and 20# to 25# for chest. The rest of your stuff seems great. A weighted barbell is used in many Cathe strength workouts, but for a long time I just had dumbbells and used them instead and did great. Many Cathe-ites modify to replace the barbell with dumbbells.

I love Cathe's Gym Styles and her Supersets/PushPull DVDs for Weight Training. (Actually all her stuff is great and you wont go wrong with anything you choose, but I'd pick these for the equipment list you state)

GymStyles has one total body weight training workout and three body splits. The Gym Styles Legs is especially nice with a great mix of new and traditional work. You will get to use your stability ball and theraband very effectively.

Supersets is one of my favorite Full Body routines.

I think these DVDs will make use of all the equipment you own in creative, effective ways.

Let us know which ones you get.

I agree with Vee! Gym Style and Superset/Push Pull would be great for the equipment you listed!! These are such great workouts and you can't go wrong.

You will need to go up in weight so I'd recommend getting pairs of 12 and 15 lb dumbbells now, and just know that you'll probably need to add heavier weights at some point. I agree that a barbell isn't necessary, but I'd get one at some point because it does work your muscles in a slightly different way.

The only other piece of equipment I'd consider getting is the high step. Cathe uses it a lot for things like leg presses. You don't have to have it, but you will need something sturdy you can use for exercises that require stepping up and down. I like the high step because it's good and solid and you can easily adjust the height (you can get risers to go with it).

HTH, and yes, please let us know what you get!! :)

where can i get an inexpensive DB rack to store all the DB's?
I found a nice one at Dick's on sale a couple of years ago. Just check at your local sporting goods store, Wal-Mart, Target, any place like that should have them.

There are so many styles to choose from, and it really depends on how many pairs of DB's you have, as well as the amount of space you have. I have DB's in pairs ranging from 3 lbs to 40 lbs, and I got a 3-tiered rack to hold them.

Mine is similar to this and cost less than $100. I can't remember exactly what I paid for it. It was on sale, though.
http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2845851

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.