"Inhale" on Oxygen TV

shakeubooty

Cathlete
I'm looking for opinions on this show and the instructor, Steve Ross. I am a true yoga novice. I have 1 tape, Minna Lessig's Strength and Grace, which I purchased on a whim at Target one day. I feel great after doing this tape - more energized and better posture - but I'm looking for more variety.

I've seen bits and pieces of this show and it intrigues me. Has anyone else seen it and what do they think? I would especially be interested in hearing from those who do yoga on a regular basis and how it compares to other tapes they own. I haven't worked out with the show yet because it hasn't fit into my schedule although I do plan on taping a few episodes as a cheap way of getting more yoga workouts.

I've tapes a few shows of "Inhale" and I like it. I'm not a true yoga expert, I just started doing yoga. I like the show. I like the pop music.
It's a nice break from the yoga tapes that play soft music and have that zen feel.

I'm actually more of a Pilates person than yoga, but one tape I've been using frequently is "Yoga for Athletes". I love the hamstring & lower back stretches. Anyone who does a lot of racquet or ball sports should add this tape to their collection because it works on muscle inbalance. Pilates borrows a lot of yoga movements & also works on muscle balance.

The downside is that this tape presumes some knowledge of yoga positions & it's tough to learn a tape when your nose is planted in your knee. So there is a learning curve. And it's an hour.

I'd love to get some recommendations for shorter yoga workouts with an emphasis on flexibility. I'm not looking for a spiritual experience (which is probably why I've enjoyed Pilates more than yoga so far).

Debra...

Debra, you may want to try Molly Fox's Yoga Stretches and Relaxes... it's flexibillity based and not spiritually oriented... just some great flexibility poses... the set isn't as attractive as Living Arts but it'll do.... Molly starts off with some sun salutations to warm you up and then moves on to some more advanced poses... I found this one to be quite challenging at first but have learned to grow with it. The video or DVD is available at Borders or online...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005MNHD/sr=8-7/qid=1004619383/107-6945882-7942920

Hi Shakeubooty! I never heard of this show so can't comment on it. Maybe someone else on this forum can. I purchased Ali McGraw's Yoga for Mind & Body. Excellent tape! Recommend it highly. Also Karen Voight's Yogasculpt. Excellent! I always reach for these 2. There's Yoga with Ateeka. This one is very thorough 60 min. long. More poses that I consider intermediate level. You wouldn't need to do the entire tape. You can work up to this one. I also have Bryan Kest but I wouldn't recommend him. After doing these other tapes, I began to realize that his poses just simply don't flow very well. It's power yoga (ashtanga) which is the most challenging yoga to do out of all the others. Start with the 3 others that I recommended and after a while you'll see the difference in the styles of each instructor and only you will decide which type of yoga you prefer to do. Hope I helped. Best, Kathy

Thanks for all your responses! I'm going to give "Inhale" a try. After reading your posts I agree that I like the stretching and relaxation more than the zen aspect of it all, too.

I may put Ali McGraw's and Karen Voight's yoga tapes on my Christmas list for now since I've spent so much money on tapes this year that I'd feel guilty spending any more. Everyone knows how that goes, right?;-)

I definitely need something to balance my exercise routine though. Lately, my low back has been aching a little - like it needs a good stretch. I do some stretching at my desk but it's not enough. I also asked for one of those big balls (for lack of a better name right now!) for Christmas, too. I used one of those once at a health club to do situps and I remember how great it felt on my low back.

If you are looking for a shorter tape, I really like Living Arts Yoga for the Lower Body with Suzanne Deason and Yoga for the Upper Body with Rodney Yee. They are both around 20 to 25 minutes and give you a great stretch with some toning benefits.

for straight-forward stretching

Tamilee Webb's stretching tapes might be just the cheap ticket for you until Santa arrives. One tape is 30 minutes, the other has 3 10 minute routines. The sitting stretch routine seems designed for people tied to a chair for long periods. You might get some ideas for something to dekink you at work. Both tapes are straight forward athletic stretches. They're called beginner but anyone can use these tapes. I paid <$15 for both tapes at Borders or Target.

I just got a ball at my husband's request. Haven't pumped it up or checked out the videos yet.

RE: for straight-forward stretching

Hi! I'm a yoga instructor and have several videos that I do on my own time when I get sick of hearing my own voice. Steve Ross and Inhale is an excellent yoga class. I highly recommend it. It might be a tad too hard for a beginner but just do what you can and don't push yourself. I also think Bryan Kest's Power Yoga series is excellent. Someone else mentioned them but negatively on this thread. The Karen Voight Yoga Sculpt is quite good, a little shorter than most which might be nice for you (some days its just what I need!) but its more a mix of yoga and pilates, not straight yoga. For now if I were you I'd just tape the Inhale show since you can do that with no output of money. Put a few tapes on your Xmas list. Good luck!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.