Induction cooktops - another request for help from the educated crowd

story1267

Cathlete
Hi everyone.

Our stove is....kaput. One by one the major appliances have shuffled off their mortal coils and the stove is the last one to go.

We're shopping for a replacement. Need a slide-in electric but I've been looking at these induction cooktops and wondering if they're worth the extra cost.

I do cook, that's my thing, so I want maximum flexibility and responsiveness from my cooktop as well as a nice, steady, quality oven.

Does anyone have an induction top? If so, how long, what do you love/hate about it?

TIA!

Thanks for the feedback Melagras. Glad you are loving your stove. The more I read about induction the more I'm leaning towards it......

There aren't all that many slide-ins with induction available. It'll mostly be down to availability locally and price.

I'd love to gut this kitchen and start over but that's just not gonna happen.

I have been looking at induction cooktops, too! I like the fact that they only heat up the pan, not the surrounding air (energy efficient, safer too!). Another plus is that like gas, the "flame" is adjustable....you just don't have that kind of control with a smooth-top electric or coil type cook top. They are very popular in Europe, especially Germany where they are lightyears ahead of us as far as energy efficiency and QUALITY goods!
Hope some others chime in on this! Would love to get the opinion of actual users!

Hi Nancy, I will be glad to let you know my thoughts on it.

DH and I went to the store today and picked up an Electrolux slide-in induction range. Mucho Dineros to be sure but ultimately I think it's worth the extra cost given just how much cooking I do.

The folks on ChowHound have much to say about induction so I ended up going there for opinions.

It'll be delivered next week and I expect to put it to the test immediately.

I have had an induction stove top for 5 years now -- and am in Germany ;)

It's been great for us, definitely a bit of a learning curve to start out. The biggest adjustment was needing to get all new pots and pans. I did get two adapters, metal disks with handles that conduct the heat from the stove top to the pans, but only as a bridge.

It really does only heat the area under the pan, and does heat quickly. We have gradually gotten a few high-end pots / pans from Demeyere that have made a big difference (as opposed to using the disk).

I think that sometimes it's harder to control the heat than with a gas flame, only because I was used to being able to see the flame to gauge its intensity.

You'll have to let us know how you like it once it's installed!

Hi expatter. There is buzz on ChowHound about some kind of induction top only available in Europe that's essentially a lot of tiny induction units under the glass top. You just set your pan down and the cooktop senses the size and shape of your pan.

It gets me a little giddy thinking about it but it's probably insanely expensive.

I've used all different kinds of cooktops. From old-er fashioned gas stoves with pilot light that you'd have to bang the pot on, to new-er fashioned gas, to boring electric coil, to completely aggravating old-fashioned glass-top where, if you want pasta tomorrow - you better turn the burner on today. :(

Besides the cooktop itself I'm excited about my new stove because it has a kind of double oven with a warming drawer / dehydrator / pizza oven / slow cooker in the bottom...convection in the main oven...The Mama could potentially cook up a LOT of cookies at once, LOL.

I'll be glad to post back after I've had a few opportunities to play with it.

Happy cooking!

Oh Suzanne, you lucky girl! I checked out the webstie for your range and it got my heartrate up to near HiiT levels!:eek:
I can't wait to read your review once you straighten out all the bells and whistles!

Love it!

Hi expatter and Nancy,

Just wanted to stop back in to say the range was delivered yesterday and DH got it installed and ready for me.

Per my step-son's request I made a mac & cheese for dinner.

I make this from scratch and was really excited to see how responsive the burner would be while cooking the white sauce.

DH and I made a run to Macy's for a few induction-friendly saucepans since we had to retire the Reverware.

Long story short - I love it! I can boil a full pot of water for pasta in 2 or 3 minutes. I can fine tune my roux to just the right level of bubble and browning. I can bring the sauce back up to a gentle boil...and no further...instantly.

Heavenly!

I used the bottom drawer oven for the mac & cheese and it worked very nicely. Used the regular oven this morning for croissants. Also lovely. Haven't begun to consider the convection aspect. That's all new to me.

It cleans up instantly. The timer tones are all so civilized sounding....LOL, they may be too civilized for my wild household but we'll get used to it.

All in all I am thrilled so far and look forward to cheerfully cooking many meals on my fancy stove.

I'm glad that you're happy with it! I was a little upset about having to get new pots and pans, but it's not something that they hide. I knew going in that mine wouldn't work -- I just liked them all so much! :(

One unanticipated bonus for me is that my husband, intrigued by the technology, started cooking more. Then he found that he likes cooking. That was well worth the investment to me :p

Hi Nancy and expatter....just dropping in to say the more I cook the more I like!

I'm fortunate in that my DH cooks as much as I do. He's the Grill Master and I'm hoping that this entertaining cooktop will encourage him to stretch his wings and try cooking different kinds of dishes.

Of course now I'm spending WAY too much time on Chowhounds reading threads on carbon steel pans and Chantal Copper Fusion........

So little time...so many cookery gadgets! :D

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.