In preparation for ICE.....

KJRW

Getting off the couch and need advice on preparing for the ICE workouts ,soon to come. What would you all recommend for me as I have been sitting on the couch for the last year? I am bored with the Cathe beginner rotation as I have repeated it soo many times before.

Krista

I do have alot of Cathe's earlier DVD's No I do not have on demand.
Thanks for the response.

Depending on how much time/ how many days you have to work out I would suggest looking at the DVDs you have and putting together something like this:

M: Weights - stick with compound or total body options or premixes - 20- 30 min?
Tuesday: walk 20- 30 min (or off)
W: Weights - Lower body and/or total body premix - 20-30 minutes.
Thursday: Walk 20 - 30 minutes (or off)
Friday: Weights - total body or compound exercises (or off)
Saturday: Walk 20-30 minutes.

After a year off make sure you listen to your body and take it slow and ease into it. Complete 20 minutes of a dvd instead of attempting the entire thing. On the weights just get your body used to going through the movement patterns again for the first week or two - go lighter than Cathe on the DVDs. Some premixes on Supersets/ Push Pull (if you have it) are good. #10 - Group B #20 - Push only, #21 - Pull only. If you have CTX you could do the weight work

Aim to get 3 workouts in the first week, maybe just 1 lifting, 2 cardio. If that feels good the next week add a few minutes to one of the workouts or add another weight workout...

I would think that getting moving for the next 3 or 4 weeks until ICE releases and you would be ready to follow along using the modifications!

(Or if you are just bored with your beginner DVD options not just the beginner rotation you could try something free. Nia Shanks has a 3x/ week paper program to download free http://www.niashanks.com/christmas-gift/ and she has some great suggestions on how to get started again after a long break in that PDF. YouTube is a great source of free workouts from yoga to kickbox to weights and Hiit - just search for beginner stuff and www.fitnessblender.com has several free beginner rotations and printable workout routines if high-speed internet isn't available)

Hope that helps! Good luck!!

I got off the couch late last year after having been there for 7+ months, and I found just getting in any multi directional movement was very beneficial. Plus, doing things that I would consistently stick to. And not burning myself out within the first few weeks (I did do this and then had to scale it back a bit).
I love the suggestions dmerz has offered you. There are so many beginner or getting back into it videos available on youtube.
I really enjoy Jenny Ford, Linda Woolridge, Jessica Smith, Pahla Bowers, Melissa Bender, Millionaire Hoy (not easy but a lot of fun ...I did it when easing back), Fitness Blender has been mentioned, eFit30, Fitness with PJ ....there are just so many!
Kelly Coffey has a DVD called Start Here which would be excellent I think to get back into things and there are a lot of intermediate dvds. Tracie Long's Weightless comes to mind for me. I use this one. Jane Fonda's BootCamp workout with Jeanette Jenkins is nice too.

KJRW,

First, great that you recognized you need to get off the couch.

Second - just start moving, find workouts that you love to do and make the commitment to workout a set number of times per week.
And that will help you prepare for ICE!

You have precise workout suggestions from some knowledgeable and helpful Cathletes.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.