I'm a wreck today

buffettgirl

Cathlete
Last night we had our 19 year old cat put to sleep. It was time, but you all still know how hard it is to say goodbye. This evening my daughter graduates from high school. I keep getting teary, and I'm not sure which is the reason. A combination of both, I guess. I just know I better pack a whole lot of tissues for tonight.

Oh Robin, I am so sorry for your loss. I lost my cat several years ago and I had him for 18 years. It is very hard to lose a pet, they are a part of your family and your life.

I'm sorry Robin {{{HUGS}}}. It is amazing how attached we become to our pets. Plus, your daughter is graduating from high school. You are going to have an emotional weekend, just give yourself permission to cry.

Tammy

I am thinking of you Robin. I had a hard time when both of mine graduated high school but it was harder with my first one, my son. It is such a bittersweet time.

I am so sorry about your cat. I lost one of my dogs in November and my heart still hurts for Gypsy. You will be in my thoughts this weekend.

Robin - I understand how you feel. We had to put our cat down a few years ago (she was 17 and like my first baby). It actually became one of my best memories of my husband - he had no particular attachment to our cat, but he was the one who took her to the vet, and told me he went into the room with her and looked into her eyes as it happened so that she wouldn't be alone when she passed! How sweet is that? But I know hard hard it is to lose a pet. And the whole graduation thing? Can't even go there - my DD is 15 and it will be here before I know it! :-(

Kerrie

Hi Robin.

Sorry to hear about the loss of your cat. Pets are family members and I know first hand how hard it is to lose one. I have lost a cat and a dog and both were very difficult for me. Time will heal your hurt though.

It's nice that you have a wonderful occasion to look forward to so soon after something so sad happened. High school graduation is a great milestone! Congrats to your daughter. I'm sure she is THRILLED! I know I was! :)

Enjoy the evening!!!!

Wendy

I smoked my last cigarette on March 17, 2004 at 10:00 pm!

Baby Joey born May 14, 2005 11:19 pm 7 pounds 12 oz 21 inches long.

http://www.PictureTrail.com/wendymin

Robin,
big hugs to you and your family! My husband grew up w/ a cat that recently had to be put to sleep as well at 19 years. I can only imagine how heart wrenching that is. Take comfort in that your kitty had such a wonderful, long life.

Congrats on your daughter! What a wonderful time in her life - such opportunities abound :)

"you miss 100% of the shots you never take"

Debbie

Robin -

((HUG)) So sorry about your cat. It's so hard to lose a pet. I refer to my cats and dogs as my "furry" children. They have a special place in our hearts. Mine aches for you right now.

My daughter is graduating from high school tonight, too. We're having a nightmare over purchasing a new home. The seller backed out this week - we were supposed to close 7/17. Our house is sold - we have to be out 7/17 and are forced to find a rent until we can buy and close on another house. I'm feeling very melancholy about my daughter (only child) graduating -- happy and excited for her, sad for me and my husband. My emotions, like your's, are all over the place right now.

Hang in there! I'll be thinking of you...we'll get thru this together, deal?

~ Kim

"Welcome the challenge...Embrace it...Don't fear it." -Cathe Friedrich

Thanks all. I knew I get all the hugs and support I need today from you all.

Kim- Good luck to your grad, too. And with finding a home. I really couldn't function if I had that on top of everything else.

I'm so sorry about your cat. 19 years is a long time to be with a pet and it's brutal to lose one that you love so much.

Congratulations on your daughter's graduation. That will keep your mind off your cat for a little while anyway.

I'm so sorry...
I had to have one of my cats put to sleep last January. Knowing that it was the right decision and that I was setting her spirit free didn't make it any easier. I was completely unprepared for the intensity of the grief and sadness. I could cry at the drop of a hat for at least a month and still can get teary when things remind me of her. It didn't matter that I still had two cats and a dog at home, pets have their own personalities and things are never quite the same without them.
Be gentle with yourself. Put it aside at least for tonight because your daughter's graduation is a once-in-a-lifetime thing and you need to be physically and emotionally present. These are the things in life we need to make the most of because there are enough sad things to deal with.

I'll be thinking of you.....
--Lois

"If I have the belief that I can do it, I shall surely acquire the capacity to do it even if I may not have it at the beginning" - Mahatma Ghandi

Robin - I'm so sorry for your loss, I know how rough that is to lose a pet. It will take some time. And your daughter's graduation - my daughter is going to be a junior next year and I get teary eyed just THINKING about her graduating! Have a good cry - you deserve it.

Angie

Oh, how sad for you. I completely understand. I've kind of got the mopes today, too. My son is only fifteen, and is just gone to football camp, but being home alone today, as I so rarely am, already I feel a really bad case of empty-nest-syndrome coming on. Actually, I've felt it for months, and even when he's here.

In addition to that, last night, I saw a kitty hit by a car. Not my kitty; I'm actually allergic to cats and can't have one. Just a kitty I saw crossing the road. I thought it had been hit, so I went back to check on it, and it was seriously injured, paralyzed (thankfully) I think, but still alive. I picked it up and took it home, and it died in the car right after we arrived.

I'm 43 years old, but I've never seen anything, either human or animal, die before. I've always been sort of puzzled by death anyway, how something can be alive and vibrant one minute and then just . . . absent from its body the next. So sad.

Well, anyway, I just wanted to say I'm very sorry for your loss, and I truly feel for you. I've lost several pets, but I've never had to put one to sleep. It's one of my looming fears, because I adore animals.

And thank you for letting me tell you all about the kitty. I really needed to tell someone but didn't know how to bring it up.

Shari

Robin - I am sorry for your loss. It is so hard to lose a pet. We lost several while growing up and it was hard. My DH and I don't have any pets now but I imagine the time is coming when our boys will want one. Take care and know we are thinking of you.

Congratulations to your Daughter and her graduation.:)

Robin,
I am sorry about your precious kitty. Congratulations on your daughter's graduation. I wish her all the happiness in life. My kids are only 2 and 4, but it sure goes quickly doesn't it? :) Have a great weekend. :)

Lori

(((Robin)))

I am so sorry about your cat. Most of us have been in your position, losing a loved pet, and know that it is one of the toughest things we ever have to go through. My thoughts are with you.

My son graduated high school May 20th. It's an emotional time isn't it? I was so proud, and still so sad that my "baby" has reached such a milestone. Congratulations to your daughter!

Have you ever read the "Rainbow Bridge"? I'll quote it here. May it bring you some comfort over the loss of your beloved cat.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Robin,
I'm very sorry to hear about your cat. It is so difficult to go through that. Many <<<hugs>>> and congratulations to your daughter!
Cathy :)

Robin,

(((HUGS))) I'm so sorry to hear about your kitty. It's so hard to lose a family member - and I believe our pets ARE our family members. I lost one of my kitties in January to lung cancer, and she was only 5 years old. I cried for weeks, and sometimes it still makes me teary to think about her. So I know you must be extremely sad to have lost your 19-year-old cat. Take comfort in knowing that your furry friend is in a better place now, and free from pain. My heart aches for you.

So sorry to hear about your cat, Robin! 19 years is a long time to have a pet, so it's very understandable that you are emotional!

I can also imagine how emotional it would be when a child graduates from high school. It is like a chapter of their life is over! But it is a new beginning, too! I can't believe how quickly the time passes!

Like the others have said, when time permits, give yourself permission to have a good cry!

Sandra S.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.