I need help to lose weight...PLEASE!

bestican

Cathlete
I am begging the Cathe nation to PLEASE help me:
So, almost 6 yrs AGO, I gave birth to my dear son #2....and I STILL have not lost the baby weight....I am getting really beyond frustrated....more like depressed...i think I gave up over the winter...always had an excuse as to why I didnt want to work out...too cold, not feeling well, too much going on over the holidays...well, I went to buy some new spring work clothes, and WOWZa I look terrible....I noticed right off thaT my arms have gotten really big--not muscle, but rather chubby--and my legs are really looking BAD...really BAD, ugly, cellulite, and my stomach is way over my waistbands...swo much that I bought a size bigger pants to wear to work.....I have ALWAYS been an exerciser, but since this weight has not come off, I just DONT know what to do anymore! I lost the weight from my 1st pregnancy pretty much by starving myself and working out 2 - 3 times a day...I mean, I literally worked out morning, noon and night...
I work a fulltime desk job..in a very small town 20 minutes away from home....no gym there, so really cant get a lunch hour workout...and I waitresss/bartend at night and on weekends....i ALSO have a terrible heel/foot pain--went for a walk last week and could barely stand the pain after....my gym does not offer many classes at night, if they did I'd get to them...so what do I do? could someone tell me how.where to start to lose this weight?! I think I may need to get to a dietition.....

I have at home a spin bike, most of Cathes videos, nordic trac...when i get to the gym, I usually head to the stairmaster or elliptical if I am not attending a class....I TRY to get in at least a spin class a week-would love to do more, but they are not offered at night!

SO---could someone please tell me: 1) what rotation will help me to lose this extra 30-40#, especially on my legs(upper thighs, saddlebags) and
2) what diet plan i should follow?! 3) any supplements I should be taking to help with how I always feel SO tired and run down to the point i just dont wanna workout at night or after work? 4) anydiet books, websites that would be helpful?! 5) any threads from the cathe forums that have helped others with their weight loss goals

i should mention I really dont like kickboxing, and my treadmill is broken! I hAve sts, lis, xtrain and most of cathes older videos-my faves include pyramids, and the gym styles, but realize I may have to include workouts I really dont like in order to achieve results!

I thank everyone in advance and I know if I am going to find anyone who will help me, it will be from the CATHE nation!
thanks in advance...BestICan

Sounds like you have a lot going on! Two jobs, kids, running a home...BREATHE, GIRL!

I have gained 25 pounds over the last few years and 2 weeks ago I said "enough". I bought a juicer, and do vegetable juice for breakfast and lunch. For dinner it is a gluten free healthy meal. No sugar except from the fruit in juicing, I work out everyday, at least for 30 minutes, whether it is a full Cathe workout, a timesaver or a yoga DVD. I have lost 6 pounds in 2 weeks and it has greatly motivated me to continue.

I also have plantar fasciitis so I understand your foot pain. I rotate 3 different pairs of sneakers depending on my workout, and I feel much less pain.

What has worked for me so far may not work for anyone else. All I can say is put yourself first, and even if you have to get up early each morning, do it. You will feel better and you will be a better mom for it. Best, best to you!

thank you, after i wrote this post, I realized just that: I need to make myself a priority...and I did just that today, I got in a great workout....and that great workout helped to keep my eating in check the rest of the day...so as they say, one step at a time....

i did also check out the new April rotation and think it may be what I'm looking for...

thank you stmirli for the kind words and support....and i realized another thing last nite...I need a support 'team'...so that's also on my goal list for the week....talk to my family, and make a dietitian appointment, and maybe even a dr's appt to make sure what else may be going on!

BestICan

I've really found the key is not complicating things and trying to workout for at least 30 minutes, my goal now is 4-5 days a week. I find that I concentrate too much on what specific rotation to do that I end up sometimes not doing anything. My results come when I spend all that thought process on what is going into my mouth, and the workouts then just become a fun bonus, not a chore to check off the list for the day. That being said I have been seeing some good results from the Xtrain and LIS workouts specifically Burn Sets, Afterburn, Athletic Training, Low Impact HiiT and Cardio Leg Blast. I have been trying hard to add one yoga workout in a week which is good for my mind and my body! As far as diet, as I age I too realized that I dont need as many calories. I try to keep it simple by focusing on eating lean meats, fresh fruit and more veggies. I'm trying to also remember to eat my dinners on a smaller salad plate. When I first started trying to change my eating I picked one day each week and that was "Salad Day", ie. dinner that night would be a salad with grilled chicken. And then another day I could eat whatever I wanted but it had to only be a fruit or veggie. That slowly got me eating more fruits and veggies which is always something I've struggled with. I grew up in a house where it was meat & potatoes, boxes of mac-n-cheese and fast food for dinner. So dont forget the importance of setting good eating habits for your children when they're young. They'll thank you for it later, trust me! Now dont get me wrong, I do love food and in some ways it is a bit sad for me knowing that I cant just gorge myself on pizza and burgers and simply eat what I want when I want like I used to. But, the really sad part is when I do that, I really dont like what I see in the mirror! Don't give up!

Last edited:
Hang in there

I to share a similar story. We can try to be accountable to each other. We can try a google hangout checkin or a skype check in if you are up to it. I cant seem to get personal enough with the checkins to make them work for me. Let me know what you think. You can do your thing and I will do mine it is just to have someone there you know...

Balanced meals

Hi,

Last summer I have joined a weight lost clinic, not because I had a lot of pounds to loose but I had the impression my meals were not well balanced and I wasn't eating properly. We were having healthy meals but they were not well balanced. What I have learned going to that specific clinic was every meal needs to be balanced between the proteins, carbs and lipids and I mean, EVERY MEAL should be made of 30% of each categories. It's by having well balanced meals that your metabolism will start burning calories. You can allow yourself 2 snacks (once again with protein) per day but not during the evening. If you don't have enough protein you will feel hungry. I read an article saying by having a well balanced breakfast with enough protein will avoid snaking during the evening. If you can't resist, you can have all the veggies you want during the day or evening. You also need to drink a lot of liquid during the day (2 liters): tea, water with lemon, 1 coffee, NO DIET DRINK, etc.

You also need to exercise but do it at your own rhythm. I have found Cathe DVD' s and I am so trilled. I am following the 90 days rotation and I love it. I also allow myself to cheat, and I don't call it cheating because this is life. You can't restrict yourself all the time, it's impossible. Try to follow the rule 80%-20%, 20 being when you allow yourself a treat. Try to be reasonable and enjoy it!. Stop being in a diet mode, and just thing about being healthy with good habits (food-exercise). Don't try to loose weight too fast because it will come back faster. When you are on a diet, your metabolism is slowing down because of the restriction and doesn't spend the same amount of calories to survive.

It's important to enjoy life but in a healthy way.

Hope this helps!

Dany:)

Hi BestICan,
I had been where you are at, about 4-5 years ago. My youngest of 5 kids is now 10. However I had not been an exerciser most of my life and I could never go hungry (starve myself). One day I saw myself in a mirror in a store fitting room and eeew! I'd wondered what happened!!!

My advice would be to focus mainly on clean eating. Maybe even going for 10-14 days only eating meats, eggs, yogurt & cheese, good fats, vegetables, nuts & seeds, berries & citrus fruits. No grains, potatoes, corn etc, no sugar or processed food. This is tough but would break any carb cravings! I started my journey this way with a book The Maker's Diet (Jordan Rubin), and I also started to exercise.

I am currently reading Master Your Metabolism (Jillian Michaels). This explains how a processed food diet can mess up hormones and lead to poor metabolism. Next I'll be looking at Paleo Diet books by Loren Cordain. Basically it seems to be all about clean eating. Some quotes from these books respectively: "If it didn't have a mother and it didn't grow from the ground, don't eat it." "If man made it, don't eat it."

Personally I would focus mainly on diet and secondary on exercise. Meaning - to not stress the workouts (even though that's the fun part for some of us:D) Last summer I reached my lowest weight, while working towards my goal, through super clean eating and almost no exercise. I just couldn't get exercise into my days. Now I've got both exercise and clean eating going again. A combination that can't be beat.

thanks everyone...yes, I have to be honest with myself and REALLY look at my diet...I do agree, the more whole the food the better...i think i have been relying on way too many processed foods...bars, drinks, pkg'd meals...and when I am honest about my workouts-I'm good about 3 days a week, the rest, not so hot...I took tonite off, but tomorrow, I have to get in something....thank you for all the tips and kind words....I think having the forums to coime to every day is also a source of support...another area of my life sagging!

thanks-
BestICan

Hi BestICan!!

I just want to chime in here with a few tips, weightloss is a struggle for many and I would hate for you to jump in and not really take the time to figure out how to make it work for YOU. First of al,l you need to FOCUS...focus on yourself, if you do it will actually help you focus on others (kids). Also, you need patience...I am a trainer and I see many clients become impatient with their results and want to quit or get fustrated (starve themselves...take drastic measures, which in the long run DOES NOT WORK).

The hardest part will be starting and preparing yourself for what's ahead. Eventually all of this will be habitual and will be so much easier.

Plan your workouts/plan your time to do them...ME TIME (even if it's just 30 minutes)
Plan you meals. Know how many calories you should be eating, know how many you are eating. I have used myfitnesspal.com for that.
Eat Clean, whole foods. Tons of veggies, tons of low fat proteins, good fats!!!

I see too many people eat nothing and lose nothing. Do you want to have to starve yourself for the rest of your life? If you do this right, you will build muscle (with help from Cathe's strength workouts) and you will need to support the muscle by eating more. But take each day at a time, you can't spot reduce either...you can't choose where the weight is going to come off of.

Any Cathe rotation should help you...if time is an issue, she has tons of premixes.

Stop eating convenient foods....take a day to prepare healthy snacks/meals for the week. If you have them available it will prevent you from eating junk! Diet is definitely 80% of the equation, but I am a true believer in strength training. If you just diet, you will lose weight, but your body will be doughy/soft. Lift weights!!!!! Doesn't matter how heavy, in time, you will progress!!

You can do this...you have a great support system on the forums!!! Good luck and keep us posted...accountability helps too!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.