I Love Cathe's Motivational Techniques

sparrow

Cathlete
Hi Everyone:

The annoying fitness celebrity thread put me in mind of this. Why is it that some of these folks' techniques fall flat (at best) or drive people away (at worst) while instructors like Cathe seem to know exactly what to say to her devotees and when? I'm not talking about the quality of the workouts here, but how the instructor interacts with the audience. I mean, I stopped doing the The Firm because the instructors were so lame and, IMHO totally unmotivating. Every workout with them was a slog. Conversely, I Cathe's techniques are spot on! She always seems to say the right thing at the right time. I was doing BC this morn, the pushups, and she said, 'One more set' and I thought, "I can't" and she said (right on que!) "Yes you *can*." And I did! I know it sounds dopey in the extreme but I *love* that!! It's as if she knows me personally and what I need to keep going...

Okay I sound like a total fanatic. I'll end now :p

Sparrow

I get what you're saying, Sparrow. I feel that way too. She seems to know what to say at the right time. I love when she says "Iknow you're tired, but jump higher!" on the RS DVD. She really is motivating. If you didn't feel like working out to begin with, by the time you're done, you're happy you did.

Marla

That's exactly what I love about her, her uncanny ability to say what we need to hear when we need to hear it!! I think a big part of it is the fact that she is working hard right along with us, I love when she sounds winded and has that look in her eye that she's truly digging deep (like her second set of overhead presses in BodyMax, LOVE IT!!!!). So many other instructors use itty bitty weights and seem to be faking the effort and it's even more annoying when they are doing cardio that is not challenging but still they're shouting and yipping and I'm thinking cripes, my heart rate isn't coming up.x(

Cathe's awesome and perfectly timed motivational techniques keep workouts fresh even when we've done them countless times. How can anyone not love that, she is simply the best!!

Take Care
Laurie:)

You're right Sparrow. She motivating and also lets us know she's "suffering" with us. In Imax 3 in several places--"I can't talk now 'cuz I'm REALLY winded", "I know it's tough" and "we're feeling it too!" Knowing that she's feeling some of what I'm feeling makes me feel better and want to go on.

Nadine

~~Happiness is an Attitude~~

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=6&uid=3517754&

How about "you can do anything for a minute! And at this point, it's not even a minute." That really gets me through!

Marla

One of my favorite motivating lines is, "Aw, c'mon, quit your groaning"... when she's leading us in planks in the HC Abs workout. How'd she know I was groaning?!?

I did the standing portion of Legs and Glutes this AM, too, and loved it when she referred to low end hover squats as those "nasty low ends"! Yup, she's right on, low ends are "nasty".

I love Cathe!

~ Kim

"Welcome the challenge...Embrace it...Don't fear it." -Cathe Friedrich

I totally get what you mean. One time, when I was doing abdominal work on the stability ball (basic step and body fusion dvd) I rolled off the ball and I swear she laughed at the exact moment that it happened. Spooky!!! :eek:

Good thread, Sparrow,

I agree that it always helps to have a motivating instructor. For example, I think that Billy Blanks is a great instructor because his heart is definitely in the right place. Granted, he may have some trouble counting and designing his workouts, but I also realize that he isn't a professional fitness instructor. IMO, he's a guy who really wants to see people succeed and achieve their fitness goals. Same is true with Cathe. They both have different approaches, but similar intentions. It's that special type of motivational gem that makes them both great fitness icons, each with their own special talents.

Your friend in fitness,
FitGirl-ATX

Picture Trail URL: http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?username=fitgirl-atx

"I am only competing with the me I have yet to be..."

I forget which dvd it is, I think CoreMax, when she says, "don't zone out, you won't get the maximum out of the exercise". How does she know that I'm zoning out??

--Lois

"If I have the belief that I can do it, I shall surely acquire the capacity to do it even if I may not have it at the beginning" - Mahatma Ghandi

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.