I just LOVE finding good books

MidgetDogg

Cathlete
Somehow I ended up with this book on my Kindle library. It looks like I got it last March when I got Pride & Prejudice & Zombies, but I have no recollection of it. It's a mystery how I even heard about it, but I suspect it was one of those "Readers who got this also got..." suggestions. I'd finished the book I was reading (Stephen King something or other, I'm sure) and figured I'd give it a shot. I'm on the 2nd in the series and am totally hooked!!!!

The name.... (I know you're dying to know) Dead Witch Walking, by Kim Harrison. The series is called The Hollows. It's very cool.

I got an iPad for Christmas. This has really made reading even easier for this out of control bibliophile. I get a lot of free books through the Nook and Kindle apps...some of them are pretty good, even the short, serial stories. I can get regular books from our local library, and ebooks from the city library. I am applying for a card to the Free Library of Philadelphia, too.

I love historical fiction, so I just go through the catalog and put stuff on my wishlist...I look to see with titles and covers appeal to me. This way, I read a lot of authors I have never heard of. I have seen the book you are talking about, and didn't know if I would want to read that or not. I may have to check it out.

I am going to Europe for several weeks at the end of March, and I'm trying to figure out what to do about the reading situation. I could take my iPad, but the battery life is not as long as I would like for that....I don't want to worry about recharging it frequently. I am looking into getting an ereader, but haven't decided which one yet. I would like to have a Kindle, as my Mom has one, and we could swap books. However, the Kindle doesn't support library books, and that is a must have for me. I don't like the feel of the Nook. I am leaning towards a Sony...but they are expensive.

Any ideas?

As far as books, I read 12 in January, and am on my 3rd this month. Some good ones were:

Solomon's Oak
Eve
The Hunger Game Trilogy
The Commoner
The Swan Thieves and The Historian

I got an iPad for Christmas. This has really made reading even easier for this out of control bibliophile.

Another out-of-control bibliophile here!

I have a Kindle but I also buy books for the classroom. I try to read as much YA lit as I can for my job and totally agree about Hunger Games...fantastic. For anyone with a reluctant reader at home (middle school & up), this book has been an overwhelming success, appealing to guys, girls and adults. I'm not normally into sci-fi, but I couldn't put it down.

Other recent favorites: Room by Emma Donaghue (adult contemporary) and Please Ignore Vera Dietz by A.S. King (YA).

Last Tango, can you borrow your Mom's Kindle or a Sony from someone else rather than purchase it? I don't think I would drop a lot of money on something for just a few weeks of travel if you're going to go back to using the iPad once you return. In that case, I think I'd probably just download a bunch of books ahead of time.

By the way, 12 books in a month? Awesome!

I am still thinking about the whole ereader thing. My Mom does not live close to me, so I really can't get my hands on her Kindle. Plus, she's a bibliophile like me, so I don't know that I could pry it away from her....LOL.

My boyfriend pointed out that I could buy a battery backup for the iPad, but it costs well over $100, so if I'm going to spend that money, I might as well put it towards an ereader; plus, I would still have to do a bit of recharging. I know it seems kind of redundant to have both and iPad and an ereader, but they both have their uses for various situations.

I don't have to buy anything right away, so I will look around and see what I like. I also have a $25 off coupon from Best Buy that I can use. Someone also suggested to me that I call Sony and see if they will give me a break....several people I have talked to said that they got anywhere from $30-$50 off when they did that.

Can't live without my books. Some people can't wrap their heads around the 12 books this month thing, but I don't just sit around reading all the time. I read very quickly, and I get to do some reading at work on the weekends when it is slow. My record for books in a year is 52....I'm going to see if I can break that record this year.

Last edited:
Can't live without my books. Some people can't wrap their heads around the 12 books this month thing, but I don't just sit around reading all the time. I read very quickly, and I get to do some reading at work on the weekends when it is slow. My record for books in a year is 52....I'm going to see if I can break that record this year.

I can't live without books either. If you don't know about it, there is a site called Goodreads. www.goodreads.com. It's like Facebook for readers but it keeps track of all the books you read. They have a challenge for 2011 where you set a goal of how many books you want to read for the year and it will keep track of it for you. I read 50 last year and I decided to try for 75 this year. I've read 5 books so far this year.

Oh my...loved "The Hunger Games" and "Room." They are fantastic page-turners. I admit, I'm a book addict. I really love page-turners. Yep, Amazon totally has my number. ;) My iPad happens to be one one of my best buddies.

Hmm....I haven't read "Please Ignore"...(thanks Runnin Teach I will look into it). Ah...it's all good.

Last edited:
I am still thinking about the whole ereader thing. My Mom does not live close to me, so I really can't get my hands on her Kindle. Plus, she's a bibliophile like me, so I don't know that I could pry it away from her....LOL.

My boyfriend pointed out that I could buy a battery backup for the iPad, but it costs well over $100, so if I'm going to spend that money, I might as well put it towards an ereader; plus, I would still have to do a bit of recharging. I know it seems kind of redundant to have both and iPad and an ereader, but they both have their uses for various situations.

I don't have to buy anything right away, so I will look around and see what I like. I also have a $25 off coupon from Best Buy that I can use. Someone also suggested to me that I call Sony and see if they will give me a break....several people I have talked to said that they got anywhere from $30-$50 off when they did that.

Oh, believe me, I get it. I have the Kindle and an iPhone (as well as an iMac) and I am working out a way to justify a 2nd gen. iPad. :p

There are just so many adults who read very little, if at all, these days that (for some) it's a foreign concept to imagine reading a dozen books in one month. As I said, I think it's awesome!

I've been doing a lot more reading this school year. I've always enjoyed it, but it's something I dropped back on a bit during grad school and National Boards for the obvious reasons. So far this school year, I've finished 18 books.

And even though I am reading something now and always have a stack of books waiting (along with a few unread titles stored on the Kindle), I went ahead and bought The Devil's Highway at Target yesterday. Uh, yeah, I have a problem. :)

Rjroubi, I don't know if it will influence your decision, but just a heads up, it's a young adult novel.

Not at all ;) If I remember correctly, "The Hunger Game" trilogy is also designated as young adult and it was totally engaging. Heck, I recently read the "Chronicles of Narnia" for the first time and loved that too! My only regret was that I didn't read it earlier.

Oh yes...I will read most anything.

RunninTeach,

It's funny....I have some friends who can't fathom why I want to read a book, but most of the people I work with are huge readers. You walk into the lounge at break time, and almost every one has a book in their hands. We swap books back and forth, and have debates and discussions about different stories. My boyfriend likes to read, but he likes audio books. I recently sent off for a card from the Free Library of Philadelphia, and he said....yeah, like that's really necessary!!! :rolleyes:

If you get the chance to get an iPad, do it. I love mine. I use mine for much more than books though. I also do photography, so I use it for my photos too. When I'm traveling and don't need my laptop, I take it instead.

You might want to read The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks....it might be cool for kids in a science class. It is a true story about how one woman's cells changed the course of scientific/medical research; it also delves into the topics of medical ethics, research policies, and privacy issues, etc.

I'm a crazy reader, too. Always have a book at hand. Normally I get through about one week, depends what's going on at work and home. There's a couple of us at work who always have a book, but most people spend their breaks texting or yapping on their cell phones. I'm on the phone for 8+ hours a day at work, why do I want to talk on my break, too?

I'm doing a re-read of The Black Jewels Trilogy, one of my very most favorites, I read it once or twice a year. My work people look at me funny when I lug that one around. It's around 1200 pages, so it's a big book, and they give me funny looks. Thing is. it's a trilogy, so it's all 3 bound into one. If I carried around 3 400 page books consecutively they wouldn't look at me funny, but b/c it's one big book, I must be weird. Don't understand?

They looked at me like that when I was lugging Gone With the Wind around for a week, too. That's another big one.

I just don't understand non-readers.

Nan

I think I may have read The Black Jewels trilogy. I will have to go back and check to see. I can't remember, but it sounds very familiar....too many books to keep track of.

Someone earlier mentioned, Goodreads.com. I am a member there. I like to get the newsletter with suggestions for new reads each month. It's also a great place to keep track of what you have read, and what you want to read. I often consult my list before going to the library.

I love the Highlander Series by Diana Galbaldon. Love it, love it. Can't wait for the next one to come out.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.