I finally broke down & bought a HRM

LauraMax

Cathlete
Not really to measure calories burned, but more to compare intensity levels of various workouts so I know what to do on which day.

So far, here are my surprises (bearing in mind I haven't been very good about keeping track & I think I'm gonna actually start a written list):

--TJ Cardio Party 3 burns more calories than IMAX3 (what a relief this news was!)
--Kenpo X & MIC burn more calories than any other straight cardio workout I have
--Drill Max beats all

I've been really surprised to discover some workouts I struggle thru are actually less effective than some that seem easier--possibly b/c they're a bit longer, possibly b/c of the difference betw. interval & steady state training.

Anyone else have pleasant surprises they'd like to share?

I noticed that DrillMax came out number 1 for me too. A lot of my other w/outs seem harder but it beat em all.
I really like my HRM.
LD

I think you also have to consider how cool-down periods affect the heart rate, i.e., IMAX 3 (which brings you back down after every interval) vs. TJ CP 3 (which only has one interval, if I recall correctly) - the HRM averages it out. I use my HRM reading as a guide only and still try to go by how I feel more than anything.

What model did you get?? I got the Polar F11 and I LOVE it! It's especially cute in pink. ;-)

Marie

Interesting information. I haven't broke down yet so it's interesting to see the votes.

I have to say I truly believe Drill Max is number one. I am drenched when I finish this one!

I was surprised about CP3 though! I love that workout but I didn't realize it burned that many calories. Maybe I should be working harder :)

Well Marie, of COURSE I got the pink F11........:p

I think I have it programmed wrong tho b/c when I'm working my hardest it shows my heart rate in the mid-high 90s. That can't be right, can it?

So of course it makes me wonder about the accuracy of the other calculations but like I said, I really just wanted to compare the intensity of my various home workouts. I don't even wear it anymore for the workouts I do regularly.

Now I just have to get this stuff down on paper.

Laura, I think you have it on the % setting (in other words, you're working in the high 90% of your zone) rather than on the actual rate setting itself. Did you get the book with it? You need to fiddle with the options - if you can't figure it out, let me know and I'll post instructions. I know it drove me crazy the first couple of times I tried it.

And I agree, I don't think it's 100% accurate BUT it's really interesting to me to see how hard I'm working (vs. how hard I think I'm working) and what a typical calorie burn is like.

Kewl!

Laura - it's very addicting! Be careful! ;-) At one point, I would NOT workout if I didn't have my HRM. Anyway, I'm obviously obsessed with mine and record all info after my workouts. I've been surprised, too, about the calories although mine always seem much lower than other people report. (Yes, I do have my age and weight set up.)

Of course, at the top of my calorie-burning workouts is MIC (not really a big surprise, huh? :p ) along with the Powerstrike videos, Cardio Fusion, and KPC.

See now I did KPC this morning & it finished off at about 330 cals, as opposed to Kenpo X, which I find to be a much more enjoyable workout, & tops off at about 420. Big difference! And if I had to pick betw. KPC & KX the X wins every time...........

I'm definitely NOT addicted to it though. As far as I'm concerned it's adding another 30-60 seconds to put on before my morning workouts, which is a PIA. Not a big deal you say? Well it is when you also have to rearrange all your furniture & then rearrange it back when you're done........:+ Every second counts in the a.m.! ;-)

I'm looking forward to trying the Powerstrike workouts with it, b/c I don't find them very challenging but will be delighted if they can push me at least over the 350 cal threshold..........:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.