I feel like I am cheating.... is there another way?

michelle54

Cathlete
When I work out to your videos Cathe, I sometimes have to modify to less impact, but it feels like cheating. I do this because I have weak ankles and crackly knees. Do you think this is appropriate or is there a better way to modify?

Yes I am an experienced exerciser, but just lately I have been having troubles with the ankles and knees.

Hi Michelle! I definitely encourage you to modify any move(s) that does not suit your body. In terms of knowing if there is a better way, that is hard for me to answer with out knowing what all of your substitutions are. When modifying to low impact cardio, you want to change the existing movement pattern to something similar in style, yet more comfortable to your body. The key is finding the right movement to maintain your existing heart rate. Dynamic arm movements, low impact squats and lunges, and extended limb movements (ie: instead of knees around the world, you can do outer thighs around the world) are all great low impact high intensity options. Hope this helps!

Michele,

I'm not Cathe, and this is just my two cents, but I think modifying to lower impact is how you should modify. Cathe often says that you don't have to jump various moves. I wonder though if stepping is harder on the knees than some other aerobic activities.

Another 2 cents. I modify all the time. In L&G I cannot use a step as high as they do, so I do what works. Using their height steps kills my knees, so I experiment until I find a height that works. Same with the step. Sometimes I use no risers, just the step. Do what works because otherwise you may not be able to do it at all, especially if you damage your knees!
Good Luck!

Michelle:

take a look at Health mgazine this month for an article with exercises to strengthen the muscles that support the knee and control its movement and alignment to avoid injuries and pain.

Clare

You might want to get an HRM if you can afford one. I have bad knees and a foot problem so I have to do all low-impact. I have found Cathe's workouts very easy to modify and the HRM lets you know if you are staying in your target heart range. Also, you might want to opt for Cathe's more "low-impact" friendly workouts like KPC. About all you have to leave out is the jump-kicks and regular kicks still get my HR where it need to be. I LOVE KPC! :)

On step, I limit myself to once per week per my Physical Therapist's recommendation and this may sound silly but I take the risers off completely so I'm stepping on 2" step hah. He said better to do it that way then to not be able to do it at all in 5 years by pushing too hard.

I recently had a fitness asessment complete with EKG etc and my cardio was really good so it can be done without impact! :)

Thank you Cathe and everybody for your wonderful responses! I went to the doctor and he felt my knee and he say I may be experiencing discomfort because I have an old oddly healed ACL tear (he thinks, but cannot guarantee it because of no MRI yet), now how does one do that without knowing it????? :eek: .

I have all of the newer Cathe's so I will definately step it up with kpc (that is an awfully fun one!).

Also, I have recently moved and I just found my HRM last night I think :D, so as you said that should help me keep it up (though honestly I have been doing Cathe videos for almost two years and I still get waaaay higher that the target heart rate, so perhaps I should be taking it down a notch).

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.