I don't have the strength to complete Cathes workouts : (

che0013

Hey everyone, I'm very new to strength training - infact, I have not started yet! I am focusing mainly on lower body. Cathe has recommended me some great DVD's which I have purchased, and they look so fun and I'm so motivated to get started!

But, the only problem is that I just don't have the stamina/strength to complete it! They are too advanced! :( I did High Step Circuit a couple weeks ago and now I have a bad left knee! It feels all stiff around the kneecap. I'm so impatient, I just want it to get better and I want to be able to complete a few of her workouts a week!

My question is, how exactly do I build up the stamina to be able to do Cathe's workouts? Should I just do maybe 2-3 sets of 10-15 lunges on each leg, squats, calf raises etc, for a few weeks until my legs are used to these kind of movements?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! : )

Most of Cathe's DVDs have premixes. I would suggest starting out with some of the shorter premixes until you can build up the stamina to complete the entire workout. Cathe's workouts are extremely hard so don't feel bad if you can't complete a workout at first. If you keep doing them, eventually you will get stronger and stronger until you can finish an enitre one!

Go S-L-O-W-L-Y!! Picking the shorter premixes is a good option like TRSTACIE said and doing much lighter weights, fewer reps at a slower pace and modify modify modify when needed. The endurance and stamina will come with time, I promise, if you keep at it consistently but don't rush into it too quickly or else you could risk injury which would set you back for a much longer time. Cathe's stuff is hard! Do you have Travel Fit? That might be a good one to start with.

Cathe's dvd's are very hard for me also. I just do as much as I can. If she is doing 15 of something and I can only do 10 , then I stop and breath. I have had 2 injuries by trying to overdo it. Now I just go at my pace and do as much as I can. I always use lower weights than Cathe and if the step is too high , you can lower it. You just have to modify according to your body and ability. Just be patient and your stamina will return. I have NO cardio endurance but I just keep plugging along and do what I can. I hate working out my legs but I continue until it is too painful. Then I just wait for the next exercise and keep going. I will never be Cathe but I just want to be the best me I can be .

Jean

I agree with the other two ladies. Use lighter weights (try starting with 3,5, and 8 lb dumbbells) and do the shorter premixes and fewer repetitions. It will come in time, but you can't rush it. All of us here were beginners once or have had injuries and illness that have set us way back. Just be patient with yourself and your body will respond a lot faster than you think. :)

Rule #1 - DO NOT TRY TO COMPETE WITH CATHE...
or use the same weight #'s, perform the same # of reps (you get my drift). Most people are not super-human ;). And don't be so hard on yourself! Cathe is super tough, even for an advanced exerciser who has been doing her workouts for years. Use her as a guide on form (which is impeccable), go slowly and at your pace (not hers). Colleen suggested Travel Fit, which is an excellent start to weight training. Do not underestimate that band work! It's very effective.

All the previous posters have given you some excellent tips/pointers.

Last but not least, don't give up or get discouraged! You will get stronger and build up strength and stamina in due time. Be patient with yourself and you will be amazed at what your body can accomplish.

Take care & good luck :)

Natasha

mini-natty said:
Rule #1 - DO NOT TRY TO COMPETE WITH CATHE...

Ha!! Yes and even yesser! And for the record, I've been doing Cathe since 2005, and while I can match her now in cardio (though not always in plié jacks!) there are only a couple workouts that I can match her in weight selection. She is the consummate professional, so don't feel pressure to keep up with her. Just have fun. :)

Last edited:
I have had bad knees most of my life. But building up the muscles helps them. When I don't exercise for a while I lower the step height for the leg presses to 10 or 12" until the muscles start to build up then go up to the 14" like in the videos.

I use lower or even no weight for lower body work and build up slowly. I use light weights to start on upper body work too.

I was way out of shape and got back to exercising four or five times per week just seven weeks ago. I am gradually increasing the step height and weights. I do enough that it is hard and I am somewhat sore the next day. I can feel a difference in my strength and endurance in just six weeks.

Thanks everyone for the responses :)

I think my main problem in the past is that I don't feel like I have done a good enough job unless I do the WHOLE thing. But I know that is ridiculous, and I need to change that mind set or else I'm going to be stuck in a rut for a long long time!

I have had a look at travel fit and I was actually going to order it last night, but didn't! I will have to do so! :)

What I find most amazing about Cathe is not only is she able to do such extreme workouts for such a long period of time continuously, but she still manages to SPEAK and INSTRUCT while doing it! So incredible! :)

I always use lighter weights that Cathe does (that's a no brainer lol), but I admit I do try and do just as many reps as she does - well, until I'm so exhausted that I can't do another :p

And lisavh2, I think that is a good idea. In reality, my leg muscles are so poor that I probably don't even need to use any weight at all when doing leg exercises, for them to make a difference!

I think from here on, I'm just doing to majorly reduce what I'm aiming for with each workout. Even when I did High Step Circuit (which is a intermediate by the way), I was sore for about 3 days after!!! So I think I just need to take a huuuge step back!

Last edited:
Che0013 I am so not a legs person. When I did Sts the 1st disc for legs , I couldn't walk for 3 days and I never did legs again. Now I am in with a really good forum checkin group on here and they are so encouraging. I now do my legs every other w/o. I started with 3 lbs and have worked my way up to 12 lbs. Slow and steady wins the race. Read thru the Check ins and Challenges forums and find a group that you would feel comfortable with. Check in everyday and I am sure you will get plenty of encouragement and suggestions. But just go slow and try to increase your weight a small amount every week and before you know it , you will feel so accomplished.

Jean

All these knowledgeable ladies are all giving you such great advice. The only one thing I can suggest is to remember being challenged is so important. Once you get more strength while following Cathe and her crew and not be challenged anymore then you know you have to modify the other direction. Add more weight, use a higher stepper... Always embrace the challenge, that's what gets you to move forward to a body you deserve and want.

Congratulations for working on a healthier and stronger you. It makes life a little more intriguing.;)

Enjoy the health benefits,

Janie

Can I suggest a workout? Do you have Basic Step/Body Fusion? Body Fusion is great for people just starting out with Cathe, getting back into exercising after a hiatus, even recovering from injuries. The great thing about Body Fusion (besides it being a beginner workout) is that Cathe goes slower than her usual pace, her weight #'s are very light, it's a total body workout so you work all your muscle groups, nothing too complicated or fancy either. The simplicity of this workout will teach you proper form, get you in shape, and prepare you for the next level, so you don't have to feel like a failure or get discouraged (I've been down that road too). In no time, you'll be reaching for Imax 3 :eek: ;)

Good luck again!

Natasha

You will and there is no shame in taking small bites to get to those ultimate goals. I used to live in these forums and did Cathe's workouts daily. Life and some big changes changed that and today I dusted off Cross Train Express and all the low impact workouts and brought my weights, steps, risers and mats in from my garage so join me in being a beginner again. You will be surprised at how quickly you will see gains, getting stronger and stronger until completing the workouts, well, it isn't a breeze but it is definitely doable!

Do as much as you can and then rest. Do it regularly and you will soon find increases in strength, stamina and you will love how it makes you feel. Push yourself and you'll get farther, faster but it's okay to listen to the body and take it easy too. I have not worked out in several years and I am starting all over again. I cannot wait. My Fit Years were my best and brightest and that's all the reward we need. Cathe is amazing. I just ordered a low impact dvd because I will need to modify. I haven't gotten any younger and I cannot go at it the way I did in 1999! But I know in 4 to 6 weeks I will be sporting new muscle and a smile.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.