I bet I could look like Cathe!!!

naughtoj

Cathlete
...................if I could just get my diet in line!!!!

Uggggghhh.....it is SO UNFAIR that it is so easy for some of us to work out and SO HARD for us to clean up our diets. Just makes me sooo mad!!

Right now, I look like a gymnast minus the hugely developed arms and lats (which I would kill for, hoping P90X will bring that for me!). My lower body could not be more like a gymnasts! (with a little extra fat, of course!)

I have to clean up my diet, not only for my sake, but for my hubby's sake as well. We are too fat for our age and need to cut out the crap!

Please.............someone help motivate me! What is a reasonable amount. say, in one month that we can have our treats? Treats being pizza, wings, ice cream.....eating out.....blah, blah. I think I have the gentics to metamophisize my body if I could just get dedicated!!

Also, will it get easier? I know once you eat a certain way you sort of "forget" the other way. The cravings also diminish. I need healthy food DELIVERED to my house, seriously. I want smaller portions but am also concerned with eating healthier, more close to nature, foods overall. I want to improve my LDL cholesterol, so a typical extreme low fat diet is not really what I am looking for. Just lower fat.
Any comments??????

I have realized now...in my 40's that clean eating is the only way I will get results along with exercise. It is extremely hard to get motivated as different things motivate us. I had been eating bad for a couple of years as the weight crept back on and my muscles seemed to vanish. Very frustrating. I don't think you ever "forget" the bad foods you eat but seriously if you do cut out the bad carbs you will NOT crave them anymore. I of course went a bit extreme. I read the book "Eat to Live" and chose the more strict vegetarian route. It along with P90X has done wonders as I am down 15 lbs and my husband is down 25. I can finally see my muscles again! I will admit some of the chapters in that book about the increased comsumption of animal protein and fat and trans fat increasing cancer risk and cholesterol levels...did scare me. Maybe just focus on more fruit and vegeys and lowering the saturated and trans fat and see if you see some results....just don't give up!!....:)...Carole

My comments probably won't be all that helpful, they just will be sympathetic. I read your post and thought, "did I just write that?". I also am in the best shape of my life and have no trouble making working out a routine part of my life, but my eating needs a ton of work. I'm fine all week because I just bring clean stuff to work to eat. However dinner is tough because I don't feel like cooking when I get home at 7 p.m. and weekends are even worse because I like to endulge in a couple of glasses of wine then.

A couple things I try to do...
1) Have various berries, plain yogurt and low fat granola on hand. All three together make a tasty and filling breakfast. The fruit by itself makes a good post dinner sweet snack.
2) If I "need" to have a salty snack I go for flax seed chips. They taste better than regular tortilla chips and are much higher in fiber and protein and much lower in fat and sodium. These are great with salsa, which I believe is usually low in fat and calories.
3) I sometimes try on a Sunday to make a big stir fry, filled with tons of veggies (and put over brown rice), that will last several days. That way I don't have to prepare anything when I get home from work. I also might grill several chicken breasts on a Sunday and then have them during the week.

Now, if I could only find a way to cut back on the wine and cheese...

Take Care,
Shelbygirl

I know where you are coming from. I do pretty well most of the time. I try now not to take grandchildren grocery shopping. They ask for a lot of junk. Treats for them now are individual packs of peanuts and fruit snacks. Ice Cream? Ouch that is an extreme no no for me. Any kind I will eat it and just keep on going. I am lucky in that I love veggies. Salads&veggies. I avoid most all starchy carbs. Light on the fruit. It is funny because when I was young I could eat anything. I remained a string bean. Everyone made comments on how tiny I was. Now if I let myself I could gain large amounts of weight. Sometimes though I feel like reading all of the fitness mags and sites makes me more obsessed with food than I ever was. It does get somewhat easier if you stick with not eating certain foods for awhile. It kind of becomes a habit. Although sometimes I go to a restaurant with all of these choices and really want what I should not eat. Once in awhile I just go for what looks good, depending on how I am doing. Once does not make a lot of difference. Most of the time I have found that restaurants will make changes if you ask. I do not beleive you have to give up everything. Just not go overboard. Reasonable amount to me for treats would probably be once a week.
Diane Sue

Diane Sue..
I absolutely CANNOT believe you are a grandma!!! Your leanness inspires me. BRIEE.....check out that bicep vein in the pic in Diane's profile!! Whoo-whee!! I really hope Briee gets around to see it, although I have not heard from her in a while. Hmmmm....

You all had good comments. I am glad their are many others on this forum that feel the same. Mckmain...I will look into that book. My hubby is from the midwest though and going total vegetarian with him around will prove difficult. Maybe I can scan the book and take away what I need to.

The funny thing with me is...it's NOT the snacking, it is NOT breakfast or lunch. From 8am-5pm I eat super nutritious food (probably too much of them though, too much to "lean out") but from 5 on I get lazy. And, I don't CRAVE ice cream, I find i just eat it. In a lot of ways in the same routine way you brush your teeth everynight!! When hubby is home it gets harder too, since i have to motivate him all the time!!

Right now I am looking into ordering some leaner meat options from Schwann's. I have never ordered from them, but noticed that their items are already portioned and seasoned. They have pork tenderloin and grilled chicken breasts, even very lean steak in 4oz. portions. My usual portion is probably more like 10 oz., so I am hoping this will facilitate some fat loss. Especially if we just pare the protein component with a naked salad with just a little olive oil and vinegar. Schwann's might not be the best, but I know how to look for fat and I must have convenience in order for this to be successful. I HATE cooking, but LOVE eating.:(

WD (Diane Sue)---OH! YOU are my new idol! (Well....next to Cathe)

I will be 50 soon and your pic is just the push I needed to get motivated (beyond what I am) to get the rest of this off and get lean! I am seeing great results of course, but YOU! wow....

I am not a granny yet. I had my kids a little late. But it would be nice to be as strong a granny as you are when I am so blessed.

Thanks for the heads up that us 50'ers can get superfit too.

Janice:

I feel your pain. I am so disciplined when it comes to getting my workouts in on a daily basis. But when it comes to staying consistent with a clean eating regimen I have a lot of trouble too.

To make matters worse, I work for a food manufacturer that specializes in dessert products. I have to travel frequently, work with chefs and test new prototypes often. Its tough!! I love food and its also my livelihood!!

When I am being good, I find that what works is having healthy good nutritional choices right at hand. If it is right in front of me, than at least I don't have to have any excuses. When I get in trouble is when I get too busy (or lazy) to prepare clean meals and snacks.. Then I start relying on fast food and junk. Then its all downhill.

I am just starting in on my 2nd week of P90X as well and am hoping that this will help me get on a roll that will motivate me to clean up my diet as well. Sometimes for me starting a totally new workout regimen helps me start anew with my diet too.. sort of like the "clean slate" effect. Does that happen for you too?

Well take care and don't get discouraged.. it really is a day by day (hour by hour some days!!) process!!

Lynn M.

Just a few tips on what helped me clean up my diet. I went partial vegetarian (the only meat i eat is seafood)several years ago and it really helped to cut out the fast food. As far as ice cream and munchies, I just don't buy them. If they're in the house, I will eat them--It's just that simple. If I have a strong enough craving for something, then I'll go buy one serving of something. I've also found some great convenience foods that are really healthy. If you're a tuna eater, starkist now makes these pouches called "tuna creations" that come in different flavors. It's just flavored tuna and you can eat it right out of the pouch b/c it actually tastes good.Ive always tried to eat tuna b/c it's good for me, but it looks/smells/probably tastes like cat food out of the can!! One pouch of the sweet and spicy flavor has 175 calories, 2.5 fat grams, and 33 grams of protien! Hope this helps!!

Hi Janice! The way I eat does take a bit of getting used to but YOU CAN DO THIS!!!! I'll give an example of what I eat pretty much every day. Now mind you I stagger my calories; meaning I use Wed. & Sat. as my high caloric days & the rest are low carb days. This is what I eat from Sun. through Tues.:

Meal 1: high fiber/high protein cereal w/blueberries or
egg white omelet w/1 slice Ezekiel bread w/jam + grapefruit or
egg white omelet w/1/2 baked potato + salsa or
egg white omelet + oatmeal (preferably McCann's)
Meal 2: 3 oz. chicken/1/4 of sweet potato
Meal 3: turkey meatballs (made w/red onion, Romano cheese & garlic)/red potatoes/broccoli or fish (preferably Tilapia or salmon) + strawberries or apple
Meal 4: mixed green salad w/shrimp or tuna or beans
Meal 5: small round steak (preferably top round)/green beans

For Wed. & Sat. the omelets will have cheese in it & instead of red potatoes I'll substitute for pasta (preferably either spelt or quinoa); also adding the potatoes into my Meal 5. Its really very simple once you get the hang of it.

You & I are both doing P90X so we have to eat like a bodybuilder. I no longer take in protein shakes & protein bars; my stomach rejects them now & I rather rely on whole foods instead.

You can have a couple of slices of pizza on a Fri. night; just eliminate Meal 4 so you have that extra slice
}( but we did have a great thread going recently about preparing your own whole wheat dough so you can make your own. As far as ice cream, well let's just say that you'll be too stuffed after the 5th Meal to even think about eating any desserts!:eek: I hope I've helped some. Let me know what you think. Kathy:D

Janice--I too can relate. I had the same problem. I read Body-for-Life in June of 2001. I took it to heart and followed the eating plan to the letter. I did lose about 10lbs but the killer for me was the cheat day. I pretty much ate what I wanted but not really that bad. Then as the months passed it became the cheat weekend. And my weight got stuck. I stopped losing and just figured that my weight was o.k. and a size 10 or 8 was ok for a 38-year old. Then in December 2003 I read an article and it quoted Monica Brant (I think it was her or another fitness model) and she said that she does not allow herself a cheat day or a cheat meal for that matter because it just doesn't work for her. Well that clicked with me. On January 4 I bought Eating for Life and a small notebook. I was very specific and wrote my goal down. It says to stop weekly cheat days and to lose 10lbs by March 31st. I have never written my goals down before.

Well I cannot tell you why it worked but it did. I did not have a cheat day or even a cheat meal for three months. Guess what! To my astonishment it really wasn't that hard. After the three months was up I went out for a great Italian feast and starting all over again the next day. And am still at it. I had to buy size 6 and even some of those are getting lose. (I'm 5'9".)

I can't really explain why this finally clicked with me, but it did, it just took a long time.

Good luck! And keep trying.

Tracy

Hi, Janice--

I'm just like you; motivating myself to work out has never been a problem. But eating right? Forget it! Reading this forum was actually what inspired me to do better. Just reading everyone's threads on how/what they eat helped a lot. I realized I was eating way too many calories for someone my size (I'm only 5'1"). And the calories weren't necessarily from bad food choices (although there were plenty that were). For example; I drink a Snapple iced tea every morning (I hate coffee!). Well, that one Snapple has 200 calories! That's a lot of calories for just a drink. So I switched to Diet. Took a while to get used to the taste, but now I actually prefer it. I also took a good look at my portion sizes, as you mention. I ate a big bowl of cereal for breakfast every morning. I figured, it's Total Raisin Bran, really healthy, so that's good. Then I took a look at the portion size listed on the box--one cup. Then I measured how much I was eating every day--over two cups! And it is hard when you're eating with a guy. You just automatically serve yourself the same portion as he's having. And once it's in front of you, you're probably going to eat it.

One thing that's helped me is packing a lunch and some healthy snacks to take to work with me every day. That way I don't get starving and chow down on junk at a restaurant or the caf. Plus I've been saving a lot of money doing this, which is a nice bonus!

One other thing I've been doing is trying to add more protein. I eat way too many carbs. Instead of my bowl of cereal every day, I now have half a bowl and a scrambled egg white. I would never cut out carbs completely, but I think cutting back and trying to add more protein is helping me. And, of course, keep the junk food out of the house! If it's ice cream that's your weakness, don't buy it! It stinks when you're craving it and there's none to be found, but you'll feel better when the craving passes and you didn't give in to it! My weakness is the salty stuff--chips, tostitos, etc. I do not keep these in the house!

Anyway, I didn't mean to go on so long. I will say that if you can make changes to your diet, you WILL see a big difference. I've been working out forever, looked decent, but never as good as I thought I should look for someone who worked out so much. As soon as I started eating more wisely, I leaned out a lot--I dropped a size! That's never happened with just exercise!

Good luck--I'm sure you'll get great advice from everyone here!

-Marie:)

Sheesh Janice. Thanks for pointing out that someone else has bicep veins and I don't!!!! (okay so you didn't mention that I don't, but I DON'T). AND there's company here so I may be silent for about 2 more weeks, but I got a brief moment to check the forum and find out that Cathe has heard our cries!! The voices in the P90X wilderness. Praise God!

As for the diet. You're just going to have to FIND your own motivation. For everyone it seems different. Kathy had some good tips up there. I've been finding for myself that I can stay really lo carb for 3-4 days and then have a carb load day, where I don't watch anything that I eat. On the carb load day, I tend to eat whatever I've been craving, but cut out everything else. I know this may not be healthy, but it's been working for me. It will get easier as you adjust to eating a different way. A few tips that may help. Go to a education-type outlet store and buy some pictures of gorgeously displayed salads and pin them up. Find all kinds of healthy foods (pictures) that "look" great and put them all over the place. For some reason when I think "I'll make a salad" this just doesn't thrill me, but when I can visualize a huge salad with red cabbage and all the colors on a poster on my wall, I desire it. It's standard advertising coming into play. You can make broccoli look incredibly good by correctly displaying it in a picture. It never looks this way in my fridge. Just a few ideas.

I find that if I eliminate foods, I finally break the craving. This doesn't work for others.

DianeSue....you are amazing and a role model for us all. When did you get your veins???? just wondering.

And Janice....just for the record. I broke the plateau I was on with the P90X and my veins are surfacing. They are sticking out on my forearms, but not yet on my biceps. SOON!! I hope.

Briee

Oh Briee... I am sure P90X will "bring it". The vein, I mean!!LOL!! Oh, and, um, I think Diane got her veins AT BIRTH. Sorry, had to crack a joke at that one, it just sounded so funny reading it. (Does that make sense?).

As always, you all have some great input in this. Alot of great ideas. I don't want to get too extreme at first (vegetarianism) so that is why I was looking into Schwann's, so I would have the convenience end of it covered. Their portions for meat are 4oz, which should teach me to eat less. I am going to try to eat as "close to the earth" as possible. I want to learn how to eat my food with, say, just a touch of olive oil and lemon rather than in gobs of sauce, for example.

Tracy.....Your story inspires me. I KNOW if I could just stay strong (even in front of hubby) I would feed off the energy that comes from losing weight. I just haven't experienced that energy in so long, that now I cannot remember what it feels like. Like you say, if I resist and see a couple pounds down, I will be that much more motivated and things will get easier.

Kathy H.... I can't decide whether I want to eat what you have for lunch or just gnaw on my arm instead!! Well, you wanted feedback right? All kidding aside, your meal plans look great. However, they are HUGE steps for me right now, so how about I get some MCCANS oatmeal and eat that for a few clean breakfasts? You are very disciplined and have come far with your diet. I hope to get that far one day and not feel like I am missing out on all good things. That is the key.

Thank you all for your comments. First I have to get paid so I can buy food. Until then it is fetch whatever's out there (or in the fridge). BUT, I am motivated now!!

Briee..
Are you kidding me? I am still trying to come to terms with Chest and Back!!HA!! No, seriously, I haven't been too awfully consistent with the P90X as of yet. I am trying however to do chest/back every week without fail. For example, Legs was scheduled last week but I ended up dropping it. I did a Cathe leg tape earlier in the week. I did do 30 min. arms and back and 30 min. c/b. So...I am working some in here and there so that my body doesn't forget push ups or pull ups. But, I must say, just in a few weeks of doing Chest/Back once per week, I am already doing more pushups off the toes than I have ever done and I swear I am getting lats. You know, the ones that make your waist look smaller? Like I said, I got the genetics to do it....

I will watch for that part though....

How is your wrist?

More motivation

The wrist has been just fine, thanks for asking. I almost always use dumbells as "pushup stands" and this has helped. Also...the close grip pullups I have to widen a bit. I believe they were really the culprit. My wrist hurts every time I attempt them. I've decided life can go on without them.

More motivation. I've decided that the reason Dreya can do so many pullups is due in part to her "leanness". It has to be much harder to do pullups when one weighs more. Doesn't this make sense? I have realized that since I've broken the plateau I was at pullups are getting a tad easier. Every pound lost is a pound lighter :7 :7 As long as one isn't loosing muscle - that would not be good x( . So when reaching for a bowl of icecream - think of how much harder it will be to do a pullup. :7 :7 . I KNOW this should work!!!...because I KNOW you want to do pullups.

You've got to stick with the program for a while. Back and chest is probably the hardest workout, get over that one and go on to another. You'll still get your pushups and pullups, but not in one grand slam. Besides you've got to get to the workout when Phil says what we all want to say to Tony at times...."get out of here". (but he says it with passion, like he's gonna deck Tony" I love this workout just because of Phil!!! (I'm trying to remember if it's back and biceps, or chest, shoulders and triceps). I think you'll do great if you ease up and don't expect to do "it all" right away. I was really fatigued around week 4-5 to the point that I could hardly do one pullup. I felt like I was going backwards, but then I kept pushing through it and now today I did 5 pullups. Sometimes it's there and sometimes I have to use the chair through the whole thing. You gotta try it Janice!!! Need anymore motivation??

Briee

Hi Janice! I know what you mean about wanting to chomp on the arm!! My way of eating does take a bit of getting used to. However, I've been on these boards from the very beginning that Cathe started her website (which is a VERY long time ago) & have learned a heap of info from soooo many wonderful ladies over the years. Yes by all means buy McCann's steel cut oatmeal & eat a small bowl of that + a small egg white omelet & do that for the first week; the 2nd week try adding in Meal 2 & do that for one week, etc., etc. You'll find that it gets easier the same as doing our exercises. My DH would NEVER eat the way I do & just can't understand why he doesn't lose any weight. Go figure! Oh I have a funny story to tell you too. The other day he told me that I'm too old (50) to do P90X; that it was meant for MUCH younger women. I wanted to slap him silly! Ha! Good luck Janice! I know you can do this! Best, Kathy

PS: I too aspire to Diane Sue! She's just incredibly AWESOME!!!!!!

Aww, heck, Briee... I've had visible veins on my forearms and backs of my hands forever. Ectochicks come by those naturally, don't they? ;-)

As for food cravings, I've had to give up a lot of stuff due to health problems. For me, it helped if I could first find a healthier alternative. Then eventually, I've been able to wean myself off of the bad stuff as well as the not-so-bad stuff.

If I treat myself now and then, I make it a one shot deal. For instance, go out to Baskin Robbins and get an ice cream cone instead of buying a half gallon for your freezer. Going out makes an event of it and more of a special treat, too.

Also, this may sound silly, but I try to avoid being around the bad stuff, if possible. This is easier if you don't have little ones. I've been known to avert my eyes when passing a box of Krispy Kremes someone's brought to work. LOL

Ang

RE: More motivation

OMG Briee...you have given me hope!! Maybe it is just my fat ass that is keeping me from being able to do pullups!!!:)LOL!!!

I am officially MOTIVATED everyone! Atleast in the area of diet......

A few other tips.....

1. I marinate several chicken breasts in different dressings, etc. and then cook them at the beginning of the week. Then you can put them over salads, make chicken salad (which is GREAT w/marinated chicken), heat and add veggies for a hot meal, make a sandwich. Varying the flavors adds variety and makes it so you don't feel like you ate chicken "all week."

2. I like to make "batch meals" like turkey chili or quiche or veggie lasagna that I can portion out and freeze. I use Rock N' Serve by Tupperware and freeze the portions. Every week I try to make one of these so that I owrk up a variety of them after a while.

3. At the supermarkets here (in Boston), they sell a pre-cut bucket of fruit (usually cantelope, honeydew, pineapple and grapes) that is priced very reasonable. It is something like $5 for 4 pounds. I buy that and break it up into separate containers at the beginning of the week. Then, I eat one a day (or more, if I feel like it) until they are gone!

This way, you have tons of healthy choices to eat clean and it seems like less work!

Christine

RE: More motivation

Janice....I've seen your pictures and you are FAR FAR FAR from fat!!! You looked great (even WITH your clothes on) and very muscular. I was NOT in any form or fashion saying that you are fat, just throwing out motivation for clean eating.:) :) :)

Now...as for you Angela, you ectosnot :p :p :p , how dare you belittle my veinual achievements - puny as they may be!!! One day I will be emailing pictures of my nice fat bicep vein, one day. (I just hope my shoulders have developed as nicely as your after pix, post S&H).

Briee (hey I haven't been bumped from our ectoclub now that I can do a few pullups have I - I can't do many and I still have weasely, whimpy shoulders).

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.